Discouraged....

Options
OK-- I am trying to keep everything in the right perspective but I got on the scale this morning and all I can say is WTF! I gained three pounds! Really? How can this be? I ran/walked 33 miles this week - and I still have today and tomorrow to exercise. I recorded EVERY bite I ate -- all of it healthy, with the exception of drinks on two nights but they were not in excess and well within my calorie allotment for the day. I am not approaching TOM which could account for excess water weight.

The only rationalization I have is that I gained a couple pounds of muscle. I don't know. I am trying not to get discouraged but lets face it... this is week one and theoretically I should have lost some weight.... at least a pound or two.

In the past, I have had success with an Atkins style diet. I eat lean protein with green vegetables. i.e. chicken and broccoli or artichokes. Starting on Monday I am going to do this for 7-10 days and continue my exercise program to see if that jump-starts something.

Replies

• paradisegal
    paradisegal Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I've experienced the same thing before and then finally I'll drop a couple of pounds when I least expect it.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My TOM always increased my weight by 4 pounds . . . from about 4 to 5 days prior right up to the last day of it! You are doing all of the right things so don't be discouraged.
    I wrote on a calendar my "anticipated" weight if I lost 2 pounds per week at the beginning of the year. I was feeling just like you in the last week of July, thinking I was not as far to my goal as I had hoped, discouraged that week over not seeing any loss (again). I pulled out that calendar and much to my surprise I was the exact weight I had anticipated I would be that week!!!
    Some weeks you lose more than 2 pounds, other weeks your body holds onto the weight, or some water weight . . . but it all averages out in the end.
    It is discouraging sometimes to put so much effort in for such little results but thats what makes this such an emotional journey.

I would discourage agains Atkins, you really need those complex carbs for energy, especially if you are working out daily. Your worry is all in your mind because physically you are doing the right things to get to your goal . . . so give yourself a break and a big pat on the back for what you have done . . . it will get you there . . . promise!!!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am up 2 pounds today as well. After being on the plan for 3 months I have learned that my weight will fluctuate. I don't know why it is up today and it totally sucks but it will go away. Just know that if you are exercising and keeping to your calories it will come back down and drop off.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Just wondering....are you eating enough? If you're burning alot of calories with exercise and not putting them back, your body may be going into starvation mode.
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have heard different things about this on this site and don't know what is true. I think it takes awhile to build muscle, but sometimes you muscles hang onto water. I have been up and down and all over, but have still managed to lose 11 lbs in 9 weeks. I know it seems a bit slow, but I am still very happy with my progress. I'm eating healthier, exercising, drinking 7 glasses a water today, and have more energy. I know if I keep at it that I will eventually lose all the weight and have more of a change of keeping it off than a fade diet. I'm rarely hungry and try to snack on healthier choices that include protein. Please don't get too discouraged. Add me as a friend!!!
  • SFC_East
    SFC_East Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do not worry. As with all exercise and diet plans, you will gain weight the first week or two. It is your body's natural response to the stimulous. You are expending more calories so your body is trying to preserve excess to adjust. Your body and metabolism will adapt to the change and weight loss will so become very noticible. Instead of focusing on the scale numbers buy a seamstress tape and measure your body. This will give you a better understanding of your progress. The numbers on the scale are just that... numbers. Keep driving on, you are doing great.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle very fast and even then it's all but impossible when eating less than you burn.
    The weight truly fluctuates daily and even weekly. I feel that weight-in even every week is too often if it affects your motivation when you see weight going up.
    Sticking to the plan, the general trend is down so don't get discouraged if you see a higher number sometimes.
  • cbass30
    cbass30 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was this way and well still am but one of the major things i learned was my carb count. I ate healthy things and i stayed within my calories but i also gained some weight. My wife talked me into going on a low carb diet and i did for 2 weeks and i dropped about 10lbs in two weeks. It was really hard for me to be on that diet so i switched off it but it made me realize maybe even eating healthy i could still cut out some of my carbs. I have been dropping the weight still but maybe look at the carbs thing and make sure you aren't eating right before bed. Best of luck hope it turns around for you but congradulations on what you have achieved so far.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I was this way and well still am but one of the major things i learned was my carb count. I ate healthy things and i stayed within my calories but i also gained some weight. My wife talked me into going on a low carb diet and i did for 2 weeks and i dropped about 10lbs in two weeks. It was really hard for me to be on that diet so i switched off it but it made me realize maybe even eating healthy i could still cut out some of my carbs. I have been dropping the weight still but maybe look at the carbs thing and make sure you aren't eating right before bed. Best of luck hope it turns around for you but congradulations on what you have achieved so far.

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement. Today I am starting on a low carb diet for 10-14 days to hopefully gain the same results and jump start. Hopefully this week will be better than last.