BRAIN FOOD - Exam tomorrow!

Options
Hey guys! I have a uni exam tomorrow which I am very nervous about, and am trying to benefit myself as much as possible. I don't see much point in studying as hard as I am, if I'm just going to get tired and distracted half way through! Soooo what would you guys suggest I should eat before my exam? I've heard SO many things - don't eat carbs because it'll make you sluggish
- eat carbs because it'll keep you fuller for longer! - don't eat a lot because you'll feel too heavy and full - eat a lot so your brain has all the energy it needs! AHHH!! Also...I usually have a coffee every day..but is there anything saying it's not a good idea to before an exam? apart from the reason of it making you need to pee :p Thanks!

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    lol who said carbs make you sluggish?

eat a good breakfast, creatine Is shown to improve memory but its too late for that.

just eat a well rounded breakfast
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    avacado
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about getting hungry during the exam, take a punnet of blueberries in. They're supposed to be good for the brain and they don't rustle when you're eating them!

I've also heard mackerel is good for memory.

I'd say eat your normal breakfast and then a bit more - your nerves are probably going to make you burn through the calories faster so you might need to replenish.

But mostly - GOOD LUCK!
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    What time is your exam?

Just make sure the meal you have before is good and healthy. There's nothing more distracting than a hungry belly, you can never concentrate that way (I've tried).

I keep hydrated, and I know my university allowed us to bring water and snacks into the exam. Definitely bring water, and if you're allowed, some small snacks in case you do start to feel hungry.

Also, don't forget, sleep is a must! It's not the same for everyone, but cramming the night or day of never did help me and probably just increased my stress levels. If you can, get a good night's sleep and relax before you go to write it.

Good luck, you've got this! :)
  • billie_2013
    billie_2013 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't believe you could make a difference by eating carbs/no carbs, coffee/no coffee, there are no magic food for exams, we would know!
    I agree with DatMurse, eat a good breakfast,you don't want to go there starving, you'll only be thinking about food!!! ;)
    Other than that stick to your coffee if you have one every morning, no need to change a routine, who knows, if you don't have it you might find yourself sleepy half way through.
    My personal trick: have something to eat with you, it's sometimes a nice welcome break to have a bite to eat during an exam, you go back to it and sometimes it helps (at least it does me).

Other point: go to sleep early tonight, last minute revision never did me good, better get some sleep, and finally, don't worry too much, the more you stress about it the more time you need to complete the exam, fact!

Finally, good luck!!!
  • ppdes
    ppdes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Almonds soaked overnight. Are a good memory booster.
    I agree with carb part. Even I experience sluggishness. This happens if you eat too many carbs without combining proteins with them. There's the whole surge in sugar process related to this,... its your exam tomorrow, and you have better things to read - :-)
    So just combine protein with any carb meal. If you are the kind who feels too sluggish after a heavy breakfast, then I suggest you eat 75% of your ususal intake. That way you wont be starving and would still not feel sluggish...
  • aTallLiam
    aTallLiam Posts: 75
    Options
    Have a good big breakfast. Lot's of food that will keep you awake, concentrated and energized. Don't have something really greasy, as that makes you feel tired about an hour later. I'd suggest some healthy cereal, fruit and maybe some brown bread toast. Also drink lots of water! When I was studying for my exams back in high school I was drinking around 8 glasses a day.

Good luck on your exams!
  • Raeesa777
    Raeesa777 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of almonds, dates... dont eat too much and dont eat too little... u need the food for energy.. eat more protein than carbs... Also fish is very good for the brain
  • kelsierose094
    kelsierose094 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Yeah I've finished study for the night and refuse to look at it until tomorrow morning :p I've decided on my usual coffee (thank god! haha), and am going to have some oatmeal with fruit, and take in some almonds and blueberries as a snack for the exam! Whilst of course staying hydrated. You're all very helpful! When I was younger I never really even thought about it and just had vegemite toast..or even skipped breakfast lol. But now as i'm more health-conscious and determined to do well, i'm paranoid! Thank you :D
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Eat a good breakfaast and they say chewing gum while taking an exam helps you focus!! Try that too! Make sure you are well hydrated!

(College student here as well)
  • kelsierose094
    kelsierose094 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Oh i like this gum idea! Will help calm my nerves as well!!!
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Protein, Tuna, Eggs, peanut butter....also during the test maybe peppermint to stimulate you. That's what they tell my boys when that have to take the LEAP test at school.