How to doctor up veggies? LOW carb/sugar HIGH protein diet

Options
Runtly89
Runtly89 Posts: 15 Member
I'm getting sick of just olive oil, pepper, and garlic.. Any ways I can make veggies a little more interesting? LOW carb/sugar. I sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese on them so I don't get terribly bored...

Replies

• leroyizzy
    leroyizzy Posts: 55
    Options
    I really love lemon pepper or freshly grated lemon zest, curry powder is good and sometimes I marinate my veggies is a balsamic vinaigrette (homemade with evoo, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard & s&p)!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    why are you low carb/sugar?
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Look into cooking with vinegar. I like to steam veggies or boil them in a tiny amount of water and add some balsamic vinegar near the end. Adds a nice salty taste to them with no salt. I haven't tried too many flavors yet but I plan to soon.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Cilantro and butter.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    a tablespoon of spaghetti sauce goes along way.. one of the only ways i can eat spinach is with it.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If cooked, smother in organic butter and let it melt. (Drool)

If raw, dip into homemade salsa/houmous/mayo and eat as crudites.

I eat a lot of vegetables roasted in olive oil with black pepper and oregano and then add butter when serving to up the fat content (Paleo lifestyle).

Or saute in butter with garlic and rosemary.

Or stir fry in goose fat with black pepper and ginger.

Wow, now I'm hungry! :0)

PrimalGirl
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    consider not doctoring them. go straight herbivore
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Cackalacky sauce is awesome. But it is a regional thing in NC. Haven't seen it north of the Mason-Dixon.

I make pepper sauces from my garden with only pepper, vinegar, and a little salt.
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I agree on the the veggies. It does tend to get boring, so if I get in a rut I just start raiding the spice cabinet looking for something interesting. I've learned experimenting is your best friend when it comes to food. Read labels if your looking for low carb/low sugar. Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    a tablespoon of spaghetti sauce goes along way.. one of the only ways i can eat spinach is with it.

Hmmmm, this is interesting!! I may have to try this!!
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Cream and cheese! While I was doing paleo/keto I made my own alfredo a lot. I also like to roast my veggies under the broiler after a coat of olive oil.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I like to add light zesty italian dressing on mines, it's also great as a marinade with very little cals. :))
  • Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Are you low fat too or doing mod/high fat? If so cook a load of green veggies with chorizo, then add cream cheese, cover with cheese and cook in the oven. If you do 200g of 3 types of veggies it makes 6 portions of about 200 kcal and 3g carbs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil gives a very different/slightly sweet flavor, compared to olive oil. I also like a dash of Bragg's liquid aminos, McCormick perfect pinch savory, Asian, or vegetable seasoning, or curry(yellow, green, or red). Keep a lemon in the freezer and grate the peel onto vegetables and fruit, its delicious!
  • leroyizzy
    leroyizzy Posts: 55
    Options
    Coconut oil gives a very different/slightly sweet flavor, compared to olive oil. I also like a dash of Bragg's liquid aminos, McCormick perfect pinch savory, Asian, or vegetable seasoning, or curry(yellow, green, or red). Keep a lemon in the freezer and grate the peel onto vegetables and fruit, its delicious!

I agree! Coconut oil especially with yellow curry is so good! I like to sauté Kale in this combo and add an egg or two. easy, delicious & nutritious breakfast!
  • kgoodman0108
    kgoodman0108 Posts: 158
    Options
    Cook them in Kerrygold Unsalted BUTTER. Its heavenly! I mostly use it for cooking meat.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I like to toss asparagus with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and roast it, then shredded parmesan when it comes out of the oven.

Broccoli is to die for in a sesame/ginger dressing.

Peanut sauce! Coconut milk, peanut butter, garlic, lime juice.

Different peanut sauce! Minced garlic/ginger, peanut butter, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar.

pesto, pesto, pesto! It's a veggie in its own right! Moosewood cookbook has both a nice straight pesto (basil, oil, nuts, cheese) but also a lighter pesto with spinach, roma tomatoes, basil, olive oil.

Lemon juice.

In general, blanch them, toss with any salad dressing you like, and chill them.

Toss with olive oil and Herbes de Provence blend for a mediterranean flavor. Roast or grill.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Sriracha
  • Runtly89
    Runtly89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I will try the lemon zest for sure. As for the reasoning behind low carb/sugar, it is basic knowledge that those should be kept low. I eat carbs in the morning so I have time to burn them off throughout the day. Lunchtime and forward, I eat as little carbs as possible. Same with sugars. I've lost over 10% of my body fat, I am confident in what I'm doing. Just needed some "pick-me-up" ideas for the veggies which can become boring.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Any ways I can make veggies a little more interesting?
    Have you roasted them? I am in love with roasted cabbage, broccoli, etc.. also splashes of lemon can be nice. Bacon grease is an old school way to add flavor :)