Friday Night Dinner Ideas

Options
Throughout the week, I like to stick closely to my plan, but for some reason Friday rolls around and I crave an indulgent dinner. In the past I have made homemade whole wheat pizza on Friday nights as a treat that doesn't make me feel guilty after eating. I'm getting bored of the usual "friday night pizza" and it no longer feels like an indulgence. Does anyone have any ideas for indulgent feeling dinners that are actually healthy?? Thanks :)

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Healthy?

Sorry I'm lost for an answer. Pretty much everything I make is healthy, and I don't use whole wheat.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Healthy?

Sorry I'm lost for an answer. Pretty much everything I make is healthy, and I don't use whole wheat.

What was the point in commenting???

My treat is normally an indian but a mixed grill - so no fatty sauces etc, side salad and may even popadoms.

Chinese can be healthy? whole wheat pasta with a red (with red meat) or white (with chicken) wine sauce?
  • kharbaugh29
    kharbaugh29 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    not sure if you have anyone you are cooking for but our family loves pork tenderloin. If you can grill it even better and it takes no time at all to cook (on grill). I serve it with rice and a side salad to the family and I sub out the rice for some mixed veggies (birds eye or similar). Super healthy and easy.

Another staple in my house is a steak salad. We discovered that the Glory Days version was over 1,000 cal so we decided to make our own and it is a crowd pleaser. Flat Iron steak cooked in our grill pan, cook up some red orang and yellow peppers and onions in a tbls of olive oil. In your bowl, mixed greens, add reduced fat blue cheese, a palm full of walnuts, some croutons and Ken's Light Olive Oil vinegrette. Top with 4 oz of sliced steak and the peppers and onions and you are good to go. roughly 400 cal and very filling.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Healthy?

What was the point in commenting???

My treat is normally an indian but a mixed grill - so no fatty sauces etc, side salad and may even popadoms.

Chinese can be healthy? whole wheat pasta with a red (with red meat) or white (with chicken) wine sauce?
    My comment appear to be applicable to you as well.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    What are other meals you'd consider indulgent? You could do burger and fries. Get some extra, extra lean ground beef (or turkey), mix in some burger seasoning and Worcestershire sauce with a nice piece of your favorite gourmet cheese. You can make your own fries, or get the frozen ones. Sweet potato fries are really yummy, too. Have a berry salad with cool whip or whipped cream for dessert, and maybe a nice big side salad to help fill you up. You can go no bun or a whole grain bun or even something fun and a bit more indulgent like a pretzel bun.

Tacos are easy to make seem indulgent, yet stay healthy. The Kraft Fresh Take breading and cheese things for meat are pretty tasty. Not quite fried chicken, but yummy as a breading.

My family loves meatball bakes. I take a bag of frozen turkey meatballs (you could make your own) and heat them almost through in a skillet. Then, I put them in a casserole dish, cover in sauce and top with shredded cheese. Stick it in the broiler to get a good, bubbly cheese top and there you go. You can serve with garlic bread and/or pasta. (I make whole wheat pasta (yep, I use it, too!) for my girls, and Shirataki tofu noodles for myself and my husband.)

The trick for me was finding ways to make favorite dishes a little less indulgent. So, give me a list of favorites, and I'll see what I can come up with.
  • chloeobe
    chloeobe Posts: 72
    Options
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/maindishes/r/meatzapizza.htm

Meatza... Best Ever..

I subsitute the sausage meat for turkey mince as its leaner! and top mine with passata w/ mixed herbs, goats cheese, red onions, peppers, olives!! and serve with salad
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    How about "fried" chicken? Here's a recipe I made before and liked!

This recipe is good for 2 medium size chicken breasts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
    prepare a shallow baking sheet/dish by lining it with parchment paper or foil. Spray this with a light coating of cooking spray.

Take 3 shallow plates and put the following into each:

Plate 1: 1/2 cup AP flour
    Plate 2: 1 beaten egg with a dash of water
    Plate 3: 1/2 cup Panko or bread crumbs. Stir in some garlic powder and a tablespoonful or two of Parmesan cheese.

Take your chicken breast and salt/pepper each side. Dip the breast into the flour plate, making sure each side is well coated. Tap off excess flour. Then, dip the chicken breast into the egg mixture, coating entire breast. Then, place breast into Panko/breadcrumb plate, coating evenly.

Place the chicken onto the prepared baking plate and cook from 30-50 minutes, depending on your oven.

(the original recipe said to lightly spray the breaded chicken breast with some cooking spray before popping into oven but I skipped that).
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thai curry (up the veggie count, use brown or no rice)

Make homemade spaghetti sauce with lean meat, use spaghetti squash instead of noodles!

Bake buffalo chicken bites (tons of recipes online, use less butter in the sauce, lean ground chicken, etc!) tons of celery and a side salad!

I agree taco night can feel indulgent but still be healthy! Fish tacos, fresh mango salsa, radish slaw, guacamole with veggies or a measured out portion of corn chips to dip in, chili-lime sweet potatoes YUM!