BBQ sunday what to do?

Options
CatAMcC
CatAMcC Posts: 166 Member
My family eat when getting together and despite warning bf and i are training we will have 'ah go on' and also find hard to resist as my aunt and uncles are epic.

Any tips on what I can bring that can do us and fill us to avoid wondering over other foods?

Hopefully help few others out too!

My family is very supportive but as we both lost a lot they in mindset why lose more but we are determined to get to our goals and recommited to it last week - then this crops up - always something! BUT i don't want to miss out nor be rude to family.

Replies

• untogether01
    Options
    I usually bring roasted vegetables (zucchini, bell peppers, onion) with olive oil, basalmic & herbs. I pre cut everything and put in a throw away grill pan. You can pre cook it or cook it there for about 30 mn, at 450. If you need it more filling you can add some potato wedges and feta cheese (cook the potatoes first though, they take longer)

Everyone loves it and its so yummy no one cares its low-calorie and healthy!!

If you want to bring something cold, a corn and black bean salad or something?
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Make a big salad or viggie plate. I like to do fruit salad with Greek yogurt in it.
    Also i would eat before you leave so you aren't staving and want to eat everything there.
  • CatAMcC
    Options
    I usually bring roasted vegetables (zucchini, bell peppers, onion) with olive oil, basalmic & herbs. I pre cut everything and put in a throw away grill pan. You can pre cook it or cook it there for about 30 mn, at 450. If you need it more filling you can add some potato wedges and feta cheese (cook the potatoes first though, they take longer)

Everyone loves it and its so yummy no one cares its low-calorie and healthy!!

If you want to bring something cold, a corn and black bean salad or something?

sounds lush!!!
  • CatAMcC
    Options
    Make a big salad or viggie plate. I like to do fruit salad with Greek yogurt in it.
    Also i would eat before you leave so you aren't staving and want to eat everything there.

yep will have to! Very rarely have these meet ups just for the fact i only started with personal trainer and i want to do well.

My uncle does mean bbq lol
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Veggies and fruit for sure. Also, if you're someone who's worried about indulging in sweets, perhaps bring a lower cal sweet treat that you'll feel ok eating so that you can have something and not "give in" to some high calorie dessert.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Are you concerned about the food choices at the BBQ, or just that there is a chance of overindulging?

If it is the food choices, then definitely bring a good veggie dish and/or other healthy snack that everyone will enjoy.

If it's the quantities involved, you can always work out a bit extra the day before and after and enjoy yourself a bit on Sunday.
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    You can still enjoy the bbq if you make the meat/bbq more of a "side" than the main course. Load up on the veggies like the other posters said, with a "side" of some bbq chicken or whatever your family is cooking up.
  • CatAMcC
    Options
    You can still enjoy the bbq if you make the meat/bbq more of a "side" than the main course. Load up on the veggies like the other posters said, with a "side" of some bbq chicken or whatever your family is cooking up.

I need that line of thinking - thanks! Will instill it in my brain. Will make a salad to bring in case its all sauce based salads.