Squats question

Options
My gym has one squat rack, and one power rack. There are some people who just live in those things, taking them up for what seems like a very long time. They aren't really being inappropriate - there are a lot of lifts that can be done in the power rack, and they are using far more weight than I do.

But I guess my question is, what is my squatting alternative? I can't think of anywhere else to do barbell squats. So what's the next best thing if I just can't get into the rack? I'm unlikely to ask them to work in with them. I'm kinda shy, and I don't like people very much. :) I know everyone says the smith machine is no good, but is it better than nothing? What about dumbbell squats? At some point I'll be squatting too much to use dumbbells, but right now I'm only on week 2 of Stronglifts, so it's still pretty light. What should be my order of priority, if I can't use the squat or power racks?

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    get there earlier. before they get there.
  • stevepax
    stevepax Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    get there earlier. before they get there.

Hah, I already go at 4:45 AM. That's why I go so early - trying to beat the crowd. Somehow, these guys must be camping out overnight in a tent inside the power rack or something!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Get your own rack and bar at home.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I do linear leg press as an alternative to squats. Takes pressure off the lower back too.
  • lacecorsetdolly
    lacecorsetdolly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do dumbell squats, because I have the same douche-y people at my gym who take up the machines for HOURS. It's a little unstable if you're going for large weights, but I do it with 50lbs (25 in each hand). Just make sure you have enough room around you in the event you drop one.

Bodybuilding.com has great examples of dumbell squats with vids so you don't injure yourself!

Good luck!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    ask if you can slip your sets in-between theirs.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The reality of it comes down to asking them if you can work in or goblet squats with the dumbbells.

I know you say your are shy, but this is an opportunity to push past your boundaries and build some confidence as well as strength.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Just ask to work in. You really need to get yourself some time in the power rack or squat rack. You can progress for only so long with dumb bells. The barbell is a different workout entirely. The body mechanics are entirely different.

At my gym, I never have trouble getting into the squat rack. The only time I have trouble is trying to work in the bench press between the curl and press bros' sets.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Get your own rack and bar at home.

Co-sign.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I do linear leg press as an alternative to squats. Takes pressure off the lower back too.
    Umm, working the lower back is one of the primary functions of the squat. Back, glutes, abs, hams, quads.