Help! Strength training at home...

Options
I have a gym membership, but because I work full time and go to school at night, I don't always have time to go. Lately, I've been doing Zumba or other dance aerobics at home. The problem is that since I'm exercising at home, I don't get to do the strength training that I was incorporating into my cardio workouts at the gym. I want to create a strength training routine for myself at home with free weights, but I don't know where to start. I always used the machines at the gym.

Right now I weigh 279, after a 17 lb loss (Woo hoo, I'm getting there slowly). I don't know if I should get very light weights and do many reps or if I should get heavier ones. I also don't know which exercises to do. My biggest fear is that I won't have the right form, so I'll be doing more harm than good.

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at putting together my own routines or following through with something like that on my own. I do dvds with weights. I've done the Chalean Extreme program and am currently doing P90X. My set of bowflex dumbbells were the best gift I've been given (almost).
  • jmejiaa
    jmejiaa Posts: 21
    Options
    So it sounds like you don't have any program laid out and you are just doing random stuff/machines, am I right?

IMO, look into a beginner strength training program to get you started. Google Starting Strength or Strong lifts.. Those are very similar. I recommend Strong Lifts because the website has a ton of info. No need to pay for his stuff, everything is on the site including form videos.

This doesn't answer your at home question though, but it's only a 3 day per week program so maybe you can fit them in?

If you get really serious and have the space you can find equipment on craiglist.. I got a power rack,bench, weights and barbell for a good price.

Also, congrats on the weight loss. You're awesome!

Also, you can do a lot with a set of dumbells and bodyweight stuff too.. My suggestion was more towards building some really nice strength.. Check this out for body weight programs:

http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    There is a bodyweight routine that Arnold Schwarzeneggar put on Fitocracy that I do

8 x squats
    5 x pushup
    15 second plank
    15 jumping jacks
    6 reverse lunge
    10 glute bridge

do that lot 4 times, with 90 secs rest between each circuit. Doesn't take too long and you can increase the amounts as you get better at it. All those exercises are on youtube.

No need to buy a load of weights! Although if you want to do that, then a light-ish barbell will allow you to do a lot (he has also done a 15 minute routine for a barbell, but I have not tried that)
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts at home. I found almost all of my equipment on craigslist for a decent price.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What type of equipment do you have at home?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You can do wonderful with bodyweight alone, and using a suspension trainer you can adjust the resistance to your level. That's what I did, trust me, a suspension trainer is all you need. Or sandbags. My sandbag kit is one of the best fitness investments I have ever made.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    33_mms95picture.jpg

I've posted this before, but this is my home gym setup that I use for doing Stronglifts 5x5 (would work just fine for Starting Strength too, since they're 80% the same). Total cost was less than $500 (not counting the treadmill) on Craigslist.

I made the squat rack myself for about $100 following the plans at http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html. If you aren't handy with tools you should be able to find a used squat rack for around $200, or new starting at around $350. That will be the expensive part. The weight bench and olympic weight set I got off Craigslist for $150. The rubber flooring you can pick up at a Tractor Supply Company for $35 for a 4'x6' sheet. I have four of them total.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    33_mms95picture.jpg

I've posted this before, but this is my home gym setup that I use for doing Stronglifts 5x5 (would work just fine for Starting Strength too, since they're 80% the same). Total cost was less than $500 (not counting the treadmill) on Craigslist.

I made the squat rack myself for about $100 following the plans at http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html. If you aren't handy with tools you should be able to find a used squat rack for around $200, or new starting at around $350. That will be the expensive part. The weight bench and olympic weight set I got off Craigslist for $150. The rubber flooring you can pick up at a Tractor Supply Company for $35 for a 4'x6' sheet. I have four of them total.

Wow! I'm in love... Can I move in with you?