Still have a lot to lose - Can anyone recommend a bra?

Options
Okay it has finally happened. After losing two pant sizes and two shirt sizes my bra is getting too loose to wear. I was dreading replacing my bras/underwear because that's not something you can just get at a thrift store. I think I can find underwear at Target and Walmart, but I have no clue what I should do about my bras. The problem is that I'm -still- at a size 42/44 DD. But there is no way I'm going to Lane Bryant (gag) and paying $40 for a bra that I know won't fit in a few months. I really don't think I can ignore my bra for much longer, though, I can put my hands in the cups while I'm wearing it, and I think it's becoming obvious even with a shirt on.

So what did everyone else do at this point?

Replies

• leroyizzy
    leroyizzy Posts: 55
    Options
    Are you near a Kohl's?! When I was preggo and after I had to change my bra sizes a couple times, I would shop Kohl's clearance and find bras for under $10... I fluctuated between 38DDD and 36D. Not a bad idea to swing by a more expensive place and get a good fitting so you get the correct size. Wearing the right bra makes you look lbs lighter!!!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I wear Lily of France High Impact Sports Bra - found at Khols and they are currently on sale for $16.99 - if you have a Khols charge, you can get 30% off! Code is SAVEBIG30

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1061570/lily-of-france-reversible-high-impact-sports-bra-2151801.jsp
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    sorry, just realized you were looking for a regular Bra. can't help you there, I wear my sports bras everyday ;)
  • cakelady4u
    cakelady4u Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love the Soma Intimate full coverage bras. The come in DD and DDD. They give great support.
  • Jess04920
    Jess04920 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Kohls recommendations - they have GREAT bras!

And congrats on the weight loss!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Walmart and Target have bras for larger chests. I got my 40 DD "Curvation" bra there, only $15.00. Another thing you can do is get a band size smaller than what you're currently at and get an extender for the back to get more use out of it. As you get smaller just keep adjusting the extender until you don't need it anymore.
  • newloafofbread
    newloafofbread Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That's okay. It was hard to find a sports bra but I managed to get one from Walmart that was a few sizes too small. I don't mind that for a sports bra, since everything needs to be tight, but I really want a well fitting normal bra.

However, I did just check Kohls and -amazingly- they have my size! Holy frijoles! Not sure if that's just online or in store, but I'll take it!

Thanks guys!
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Walmart does have great underwear (Hanes brand xD)

As for bras? I'd shop at GAP, because they're comfy and cheaper if you get good sales! (run around $29 in store, but with coupons and promotions you'd get it for $15 or so) Sorry I'm not too much help :S
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    Target and Walmart both have bigger sizes and they are cheap. I am currently wearing an awesome bra from Walmart and I am VERY picky when it comes to bras! I'm a 40DD right now. I think it was $13.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I understand the Lane Bryant issue, but I do shop there when they do the buy one get one free sale. and I've even bought them tight as incentive. The smaller (?) I get, the more I seem to need the better support and, OMG, never thought I'd say this... the padding!!! Went from 48DD now at 42 DDD........
  • newloafofbread
    Options
    I'm surprised at people saying they got bigger sizes at Walmart. I went there about two weeks ago and tried on a ton of bras and none of them fit right. The problem actually isn't my DD status, it's the large 44 band. I can squeeze into a 42 but most bras I find stop at 40DD. I still wear my sports bra but I'm spilling out of it a bit.

I know this is stubborn, but a promise I made to myself when I started losing weight was that I would literally NEVER buy anything at a Lane Bryant ever again. Lane Bryant is the bane of my existence. I hate their clothes, I think they're ugly and severely overpriced. I only ever shopped there because I was too overweight to find clothes elsewhere. Now that I'm down to a size 20 I've been able to go to some normal stores again and I'm not looking back!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Once you're at goal, I recommend the Wacoal Slimline Minimizer! They are the ONLY bra I've ever found that stops that annoying underbreast crease inside the cup and keep the darn girls UP where they should be, even when I'm running.

I'm now a 34 B and still wear them, even after a sales girl said, "That's the wrong bra for you, what are you minimizing?" (I laughed, but I do wonder how many sales she loses calling people flat chested.)

If you're changing sizes, you probably don't want to spend $80 on a bra, but once you get to goal, I can't recommend Wacoal enough. (I don't work for them and I'm not being paid to say this.)
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    go get measured at a department store or Victoria's Secret...or even look online how to do it yourself...and go to TJMaxx to get a bra! You can get really good, name brand bras for as low as $5.99 there and they have a huge range of sizes.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm about your size (DD LOVE!!) & Walmart & Kmart actually have those sizes in nice looking bras, and they're comfortable! Well, I don't know how old you are, but I'm 28...and I'm not ready to wear the more conservative bras yet...if you know what I mean. :-)
  • newloafofbread
    Options
    Ah TjMaxx, I didn't think of there. I didn't imagine they had large sizes. I went to Marshall's the other day for pants and didn't bother looking at their bras, either.

Looks like I'll be shopping today. :)
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Online.. at JMS.com or womanwithin (JMS is better for bra's)
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    from walmart i ordered fruit of the loom sports bra. works great and only cost 12 dollars. my other playtex ones i would also fall out of. this bra is great. i am now a 38d and gives me alot more support than the playtex did
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Ah TjMaxx, I didn't think of there. I didn't imagine they had large sizes. I went to Marshall's the other day for pants and didn't bother looking at their bras, either.

Looks like I'll be shopping today. :)

I'm a 36 DDD and I never have trouble finding a bra at TJMaxx, even though that is a "strange" size! They really do carry a nice range of sizes and styles, but sometimes it is hit or miss. If I can't find anything one day I can go in a few days later and they will usually have it! Love the Maxx!
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    TJMaxx, Marshall's, and if you have a Burlington Coat Factory, they have super cheap prices but name brands. Also, you should maybe check out Macy's. They are ALWAYS having sales, there are always coupons, and if you get a Macy's card, you can get 15%, 20% off stuff and lots of savings. You can tell I love Macy's lol. They are usually pricey but the sales are great. My mom wears an off size that is VERY difficult to find as well and she found one of the best fitting bras she ever bought at Macy's.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm 44c - you can totally buy larger sizes in Kohl's, Kmart, jcpenney. At least you can in the NY area. I was having trouble finding bras that were that large a band with a smaller cup size (c). Not that C is small but what I kept seeing were 44 DD

Another option is to try one of the better stores who always seem to be having sales and specials