Greek yogurt - an acquired taste?

Options
jolt28
jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
I love yoplait fat free yogurt, but I know Greek yogurt has more protein; better for me. Tried it a few days ago and yuck!! Do you just get used to it or one us better than others??

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt... but only the vanilla one. If I have a plain one I have to add something like honey to it.

If you don't like it, don't eat it. I have found those Source 0 yogurts have the same protein for calories if you have more than one serving.

Or, if you really want to add it to your day because of the higher protein content, mix it half and half with the yogurt you like. Adds in a bit more protein without having to eat it plain.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it but now I eat it almost every day. I have to get the already flavored kind, plain and adding to plain is gross. I like Chobani and the Kroger brands, they're pretty creamy when you stir them very well before eating.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of the texture of greek yogurt. I may try one again because I haven't tried them in a while.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I had to learn to like it but I have issues with texture and I think that was my biggest issue w/ it. I've tried Chobani, which tastes like sour cream to me and is NASTY. I tried a couple of Fage, same thing in my opinion. What I HAVE found that is good is the Dannon Oikos ones. They have a lot of flavors and I've loved every one I've tried so far! And the even bigger bonus is it's better for you than regular yogurt and keeps you satisfied longer since there is so much more protein in it.

Good luck finding a brand that you like!
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    yep. you learn to love it. I can't do a day without!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    What brand did you try, and did it have some fat in it? I really like Fage and Chobani--even the fat-free versions of those are pretty good, but the ones with fat are better. I found Dannon Oikos to be really chalky in the fat-free version--I like their low-fat flavors better, but they still taste pasty, like they're thickened by adding flour or something.
  • sammiesmama73
    sammiesmama73 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dannon lite n fit has a new Greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom. Stir up the fruit it's pretty yummy. I like blueberry and pineapple, theyre only 80 calories and 12 protein. Best tasting so far that I have tried
  • VTRutz
    VTRutz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Blegh. Greek yogurt. I eat it, but I add a scoop of protein powder to it in a flavor, like chocolate or vanilla (I had a PB Cookie dough flavored one once, that was REALLY GOOD). Bumps up the protein even more and makes the greek yogurt palatable! :)
  • soulmatesnvrdie
    Options
    I've tried a few that were pretty awful, especially the fat free varieties, they tasted almost like they'd gone bad. They're good in fruit smoothies though, the only kinds I've been able to eat plain though is Greek Gods Vanilla Honey (tried the plain vanilla one and it wan't very good) and the Fage Honey one was really good also. I haven't tried the fruit flavored ones yet though.
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I actually love the Nostimo greek yogurts. I buy the fruit flavored ones and stir in matching fresh fruits. Blueberry in the blueberry, raspberry in the raspberry, etc. Awesome. I also use the blueberry one for greek yogurt pancakes and stir in blueberries. Best ever breakfast.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Chobani

Only one I'll eat. 0% fat greek. or a 2% fat one. Tastes like sour cream & the flavored ones are brilliant.
  • jolt28
    Options
    I bought Stoneyfield - it had fruit on the bottom which is part of my problem - I like it mixed up already lol!
  • jolt28
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I will try some others that you have suggested; I'd really like to get the extra protein from the Greek yogurt :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I love yoplait fat free yogurt, but I know Greek yogurt has more protein; better for me. Tried it a few days ago and yuck!! Do you just get used to it or one us better than others??

Did you try Yoplait brand? The brand I like the least (for Greek) is Yoplait .....it's kind of chalky to me. Voskos is a little chalky too.

Chobani is my favorite, Fage & Dannon Oikos are good too. The "runniest" brand I've found is the Stonyfield Organic .... texture is more similar to regular yogurt.

You could try to substitute plain Greek for sour cream & use as a dip (mix in dry Ranch seasoning) ....mmmm. This might help you get used to it.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Plain does taste similar to sour cream which I like because I use it as a sour cream or mayo substitute. I do like to sweeten it up with honey and fruit too. I think Fage has the best, creamiest texture, my next favorite is Trader Joe's. I like Fage and Chobani's flavored ones. If you don't like it then you don't like it, can't force yourself to like it just because it is high in protein.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    What flavor did you try? Maybe you just didn't like that one. I don't like the vanilla or honey flavored Chobani, but I love the strawberry or strawberry banana, and the other fruit flavors are good. A friend introduced me to Greek Gods yogurt last weekend, and it's SO GOOD. I even liked the honey flavored one, and the honey and strawberry is amazing!

I also like to use plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream or mayonnaise in recipes. I like to mix a little ranch dressing mix into some plain greek yogurt for a healthier veggie dip. Very good! :)

I've gotten to where I don't even like regular yogurt anymore; it's too runny, and tastes watered down.
  • GeeGirl82
    GeeGirl82 Posts: 32
    Options
    It tastes sour to me like it has gone bad. Gross. I'll stick with good ol American Light & Fit!
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The first couple of times I tried it I didn't care for it but now I eat it alot. I found one kind that I liked and ate it for a while. Then I went back and tried the kinds I didn't really like at first and I like those too now.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Dannon light and fit everyday for breakfast - YUM!
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Danon Oikos Greek Yogurt is delish! I eat greek yogurt everyday for the protein, can't go a day without it! I personally don't like the plain (I like vanilla) but if I have plain I'll flavor it with honey. Make sure you mix the fruit up well and it won't taste so sour.