Skinny tailgating

Options
Ok, so football is here again, I start tailgating tomorrow. I have done such a great job this year and I don't want to go backwards. Anyone have any good tailgating ideas to enjoy the meal but stay on track? (We use a Coleman propane grill)

Thanks!!

Replies

• Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Sorry, you've totally lost me. What's skinny tailgating?
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    Sorry, you've totally lost me. What's skinny tailgating?

:huh:
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    How about Turkey Burgers? And instead of big buns use those sandwich thins (they're pretty good actually). Smart dogs are only 45 cals per dog.. I like them, but the are a little different then the usual hot dog.
  • wendalin4
    wendalin4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    chicken fajitas! skinless boneless chicken breasts, red peppers, green peppers, onions, low sodium fajita seasoning cooking it up in a pan or foil pouch and use whole grain tortillas

you can also add cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc...
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Kabobs!

Chicken, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, whatever! Vegetables and lean meat :3
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Any time I bring veggies and dip to a party that's the first thing to go. There's nothing like some fresh veggies to cleanse all the salt and fat from your mouth (although, there's nothing saying you won't go back for more fried food--I always do. :ohwell:). Fresh fruit is always good too... watermelon comes in its own container! Good luck, and have fun!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I would do turkey burger or brat
    Make some homemade oil/vinegar coleslaw
    and lots of fresh veggies - skip the dip
    Enjoy with a beer.
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    This is a great thread because I'll be facing the same dilemma once the NFL season starts! Every sunday, we invite our friends over around 11, and we tailgate in the driveway before the football games commence (we have sunday ticket! GO BEARS!) Anyways, previous menus included BBQ Ribs, Shrimp and Grits, London Broil, Juicy Lucy's, Chili and Cheddar Ale Soup.

I'm thinking I'll do more chicken this year, possibly some seafood options, and perhaps a few of the favorites, but in smaller quantities. And, since we watch football all day, we'll stick to healthier munchies!

Turkey dogs, lean ground beef burgers, chili, BBQ chicken, and maybe some grilled salmon or shrimp will be more prominent in this year's menu!

Looking forward to other ideas! Happy Football Season everyone! :D
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Kabobs!

Chicken, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, whatever! Vegetables and lean meat :3
    Yup yup,,, there it is.

And watch the sides. Baked beans, potato salad, tater chips. Unless you're downing brats most of your main coursey stuff ain't that bud, but the sides'll kill you.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Totally kabobs! They're sneaky healthy food! (Especially with dill-lemon juice-greek yogurt dip).
    Do the hot dog sans the bun.
    Skip the chips and bring some veggies.
    Light beer is a must.
    If you want to do burgers-- use 96% lean ground beef-- it cuts over 100 calories per serving off of the 80% lean type.

Snacky-type foods.... parmesean crisps are pretty decent calorie-wise and easy to make, as are kale chips (weird but good). Tatziki sauce (the lemon/dill/yogurt) is a great replacement for ranch dip!
    Tomato slices (THICK) with a little salt and fresh basil and balsamic vinegar are yummy.
    Spicy popcorn is great.

Finally, be sure to round out with water. Try to keep a water bottle in your hands at all times when you're not SUPPOSED to be eating something else.
  • alk46283
    Options
    Veggie burgers. They are so tasty. Try Gardenburger, Boca or Morningstar Farms. They all have great flavors now. If you have a hard time finding them in the grocery store, look in the breakfast frozen foods.... not sure why, though! In my freezer, I have two Boca varieties now. One has 80 cal, 1g fat, 4g fiber, 12g protein. The other has 110 cal, 2.5g fat, 4g fiber, 13g protein.
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    One of the best investments of my life was in a sausage maker. I've made brats that taste EXACTLY like the real deal with 2 grams of fat and 14 grams of protein. Throw some kraut and spicy brown mustard on and you're set!
  • thinagain4me
    Options
    dirusso turkey sausage... only 100 calories each, and they're really good. add some onions, peppers etc.
  • scrappymel
    scrappymel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    kung pao! one of my fav tailgating foods... chicken, sugar snap peas, water chestnuts, carrots, onions, any other veggies that float your boat... and a package of sunbird kung pao sauce mix and low sodium soy sauce. yummmmmmmmm.
  • trotters24
    Options
    I love brats so I hate to give them up. But I found that Turkey Brats are just as good - I can't tell a difference anymore! They still aren't the healthiest, but far healthier than a brat!
  • anthemfamily
    anthemfamily Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! Now I have ideas for just about all the games. We are doing the chicken fajitas for today. Must be crazy to tailgate in 113 weather for a preseason game, but just can't wait. Now just need to cram in a 4 mile run to cover the beer :drinker: GO CARDS!!!!