Let Me off this crazy ride!

Options
Ok I have a question for you guys!

I am a 6ft large frame guy who until recently was pretty sedentary. I started dieting (keeping my calories between 1200 and 1500 daily) and had success loosing 20 of my goal of 60 pounds in the first month I was dieting. It has been like clock work loosing 2-4 pounds just through the diet.

However last week I started with a workout regiment that includes cardio (jogging a mile and walking a mile) and resistance (dumbell circut training) along with planking exercises to help. I completed this three times last week and I have done it every day this week so far. And over the last two weeks I have gained 2 pounds back. I understand that this is more than likely muscle weight that I am adding, and i am still seeing more definition in my arms and legs, but how long do I need to wait to see it reflected on the scale? Or am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I'm thinking its water weight. That can happen when you first start a workout program. Just drink plenty of water and make sure you keep the rest of your diet in check (I have a bad habit of allowing myself extra when I workout) and you should level back out in a few days.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it sounds like you aren't eating enough. I'm 6'2'', 221 lbs, and I eat 2550 calories a day and still lose about 0.5 - 1 lb/week for the last month. I do three days/week of 5x5 lifts and cardio.

Also, as you progress along, the number of the scale starts to mean less and less. Use how your clothes fit, body measurements, and how you feel as a good reflection of the changes being made.
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Throw your scale away and measure, measure, measure. You may not be eating enough, how did you get your 1200-1500 calorie a day calorie regimen? Did you use a TDEE calculater?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle. Your body is stressed, it's going to be water retention.

Stop worrying about it. Cortisol is not good for weight loss anyway. ;)

BTW, you're bigger than me, and work out more than me. You also eat less than me. 20# in a month is a lot, but it's not sustainable, you might want to eat a little more, keep sure your nutrients and protein levels are right.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. The scale will fluctuate from time to time. Try not to get shaken by it. :smile:
  • jceli1977
    jceli1977 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the Advice and the link! The biggest reason for my 20 pounds in a month weight loss is that I gave up a significant soda addiction! lol 1 liter plus a day while riding the sofa cant do anyone any good.

I have been watching my vitamin/protein intake and I have been at or over my daily allowances every day. And the caloric intake was suggested by mfp app, but it was kind of my normal intake once I removed the junk and replaced it with healthy food.

And like I said while the scale hasn't been moving I have still noticed fat loss. It just sucks when your killing yourself and not seeing the ole scale reflect it!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    When it comes to working out I found the Scale is a filthy liar and needs sit in a closet or attic. Its most likely water weight. Your body needs water/protein/calories to rebuild muscle and well retain it for that purpose. Adding muscle is a great way to up your BMR/TDEE to burn more fat without having to a thing. Though you retain water and alot of people get scared of that because they mistake it for weight/fat.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle it's water retention. When you start working your muscles they will retain water to help repair the stress they have been put under. If you are going to begin lifting, expect the scale to go up and done because of the water retention. I would suggest taking your measurements and not go by the scale so much.