having a bad day today! :(

Options
Am working in ER today...am a doctor...and somehow...all my nurses are bringin cakes and pies today to work...Grrrr

I packed my breakfast, lunch and dinner for today..as I have a 24 hour shift....but despite trying sooooo hard..i cant resist eating tiny bites here and there since morning...have not even opened the food that i brought myself from home.....dang it.....i think i already ate all my calories for today :(:(:(

i hate myself for being so weak!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• garryskaggs
    garryskaggs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hang in there doc, you can do it.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Some days just suck, especially when you're under the kind of pressure an ER offers and there's tasty (bad) food right there. Don't beat yourself up too much, just accept that today's a bad day and resolve that tomorrow will be better.
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I sit in a cubical all day long with no windows. You do have one advantage...at least your up and moving. I get to sit on my ars all day long and when people bring in cakes, and cookies, and doughnuts, Oh MY! LOL!
    Just take a deep breath and focus and walk by the crappy food and go get yours the next time you are hungry.
    The more you beat yourself up the harder it's going to be. I know...I do it all the time...LOL
  • annitin
    annitin Posts: 14
    Options
    Go ahead and indulge. Don't beat yourself up. Jump back on the wagon tomorrow.:bigsmile:
  • coniconstance
    coniconstance Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You can do this.. no matter where you are now, don't beat yourself up. Enjoy healthy foods the rest of the day, drink your water and tomorrow is another day. Remember this feeling also. Snacks will be there often, you may need to come up with a game plan for the next time these temptations are in front of you
  • kelhar
    kelhar Posts: 7
    Options
    You are a good person and you are doing good work. Don't forget to be good to yourself.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You will get past this. I recently went on vacation and went back to all my bad habits for a week, since there were 12 of us eating and I only cooked 1 day. I gained 9 pounds in 8 days on a high fat, high salt and high carb diet (yikes!) but knew most of it was going to come off quickly (water weight). One week after returning to my good habits, 8 of the 9 pounds are gone and I am doing good. A break now and then isn't going to permanently damage your program. It is only if you let it become permanent that the damage will be done. Good luck!
  • cbass30
    cbass30 Posts: 4
    Options
    You i laugh at this because my wife is a RN and she is going back for her nurse practioner license and nurses and doctors are some of the most unhealthy eaters i have seen. The nurses on her floor do this all the time as well but they all went and cheated by having their stomachs stapled so they eat that stuff and then ... well lets just say lose it quickly lol.

Anyway don't get at yourself to hard we all make mistakes and while it makes you upset just learn from it. Find snacks that are sweet but low in calories and stay out of the break room. Spend more time with your patients or walk laps around the floor until they page you. It will get better as you get deeper into your weight loss those sweets won't be worth all the hard work you put in.
  • shari253
    shari253 Posts: 202
    Options
    Hang in there. Forgive yourself and get back on track. Try to reconnect with your reasons for doing this. I had a bad day yesterday and stuggled today, but I was back on track today.

I'm astounded how overweight nurses are as a whole. I think it is the stress, or maybe being cooped up in a hospital, I don't know.

Hey, you made it though med school, you can do this! Just apply the same determination and intelligence that got you all your successes so far in life.

Shari.
  • xarchie1980x
    xarchie1980x Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your kind words!!!

I had a bad day yesterday, just got back home...am gonna sleep now, and will try to do two P90x workouts today (coz i missed the yesterday's work-out as well :cry: :cry: :brokenheart: )'

hope i can get bk on track today!

love u all..this is a great site with awesome people around! :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    You can do this.. no matter where you are now, don't beat yourself up. Enjoy healthy foods the rest of the day, drink your water and tomorrow is another day. Remember this feeling also. Snacks will be there often, you may need to come up with a game plan for the next time these temptations are in front of you
    I agree with this. You were on the right track by bringing your good food with you. Your game plan needs to include that AND the commitment to eating your food instead of the tempting snacks other people bring. One thing I've learned is that the longer I go without eating, the more likely it is that I'm going to make bad choices. Yesterday is done and gone. Learn from that, and decide what you're going to do tomorrow. And don't hurt yourself doing two P90X workouts!
  • tamitam
    tamitam Posts: 7
    Options
    Dont say you are weak, we all have our days where we go over some. You can do it, I know you can!
  • Gully68
    Gully68 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey Archie - remember my whole (annoying) 'getting back on the horse' speech? It's the same deal here. I know people who sabotage themselves by getting so overwrought about one piece (or five pieces) of cake, that they just chuck it all - including their progress.

For one thing, it's fairly accepted that it's better to be REALLY bad one day/week than to be bad every day; the 5-Factor Fitness plan I lost 25lbs on allowed a 'cheat day' once a week. Theoretically that was supposed to phase itself out - but being honest, it never really did (until recently starting P90x). I'm living proof that eating very well 6 days out of 7 and having a couple doughnuts and a soda on Sunday can still net you weight loss.

The other aspect of letting yourself go every now and then is that you are human; if you like sweets and have a relationship with food falling in the 'average' range (eg: neither anorexic nor a compulsive eater), it's fairly straightforward in my opinion: have a piece of cake now and then. If you go on vacation, have some meals you want and don't sweat the calories. Like the woman who cited her vacation, I spent a week in Austin, TX and put on about 7 pounds (probably mostly queso). I came back, got back to my routine, and was back to where I left two weeks later.

If you want healthy eating and exercise to be a life-long habit, you have to allow yourself some play room. If you end-up feeling like you're constantly depriving yourself, there's a good chance you will come to resent your exercise and/or eating habits. You also may create detrimental emotional relationships with your food and/or exercise.

If someone (again, assuming someone without eating or exercise disorders) goes into a food/exercise plan thinking "I can never, ever have a piece of cake again," they are setting up daunting, stressful path. Many people genuinely enjoy both the taste and the social rituals of things like birthday cakes or an ice cream cone at the beach. Imagining that you're NEVER going to allow yourself such things again makes it excessively difficult to stick with your program.

I agree with the encouragement to focus on healthy alternatives; I just made a post-workout shake today with fresh peaches, frozen raspberries, half a banana and skim milk. It was sweet, flavorful...fantastic - and both lower-calorie and WAY higher-nutrient than an ice cream sundae. So you can definitely learn to appreciate healthier alternatives. But if I go to a wedding and everyone's talking about how fabulous the cake is, you can bet I'm going to have a piece. Maybe two. I might go over my goals for that day, but I will gain some enjoyment, and there's plenty of time for exercise the rest of the week. I just won't bring any cake home to put in the fridge ;)

One last note: I'd really try to avoid "doubles" with P90x. For the intensity of the workouts, it's going to be really hard to get the full benefits of the second workout; you'll just be too worn-out from the first one. If you 'need' it psychologically, then do what you must - but be careful not to overwork yourself. I'd suggest doing what I did last week: "float" your 'rest/stretch' day. I couldn't do my workout on Wednesday, so I made Wednesday my "rest/stretch" day and shifted everything back a day. Now that I did Kenpo (day 6) today, I'm back to my regular "1" (chest/back) tomorrow.
  • xarchie1980x
    xarchie1980x Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thanks Gully68 and everyone else! :)

So, I missed P90x yesterday...and picked it up with 'chest and back' today....

I thought I am gonna do P90 yoga as well today to cover up for yesterday..but instead....i decided to do some cleaning around our house (we just moved into this beautiful apartment right by the river and the whole manhattan skyline view from our windows)...and while cleaning...i found there are free kayaking classes on sundays!! Woohoo...I love kayaking....so I decided to burn some calories and have some fun hanging out with my new neighbors in the evening :) Too bad...my boy-friend is working today, so he could not join me....but I still had a good day.

And as for tomorrow...I am all charged up again! Lets see how it goes :)