Indoor exercise

Options
I live in West Texas where its 101 today... any suggestions on indoor exercise????

Replies

• kristi223
    kristi223 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm in East Texas, so I know what you mean about the heat. It is unbearable!! I get all of my exercise indoors by doing fitness DVD's. My favorites are 30 Day Shred, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and No More Trouble Zones. They are all led by Jillian Michaels and I have seen great results. I also have a stationary bike...I'll sometimes hop on there and open a good book! Hope that helps!! Try to stay out of this miserable heat!!
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am also in East Texas, so I completely understand. If you don't have any dvds, I would suggest using the Nike training for women: http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikewomen/en_US/training It has work out routines that are hard and short. I did a bunch of these when I lived in DC and was snowed in for a week.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am in Illinois but the heat here is also unbearable. wow, it so hot and humid but i love to swim and am going to get out to the pool today, I don't why i haven't even wanted to do that lately. As far as indoor exercise Leslie Sansone has some great dvds out. Also once in awhile i will find one online and try out something new. have a great day and stay cool.
  • krisakira
    Options
    I live in Kansas, and it is 104 degrees outside today. Unfortunately, I had to walk a bunch of dogs outside at the Humane Society where I volunteer. (Today was actually the first day!) But usually I just go 20 minutes on a stationary bike. The things great. It tells me the time, speed, distance, and how many calories I've burned. I didn't buy it, so I don't know the price, but I do think it is not an expensive one. Really something to consider investing in!
  • karmarayne
    Options
    Jumprope!!!
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Another sweaty Texan here! UGH!!! I have a treadmill and bike inside but try to get up and walk outdoors between 7 and 8 in the morning. Yeah Id love to tell you Im one of those that runs 5 miles at 5 am...NOPE! I get my walk in when its "only" in the 80's if possible, if not I get on the treadmill. Do about 20 mn on the bike before my knees yell at me so Im trying to build that time up. Im a HUGE Jillian follower and got her 5 DVD set The Biggest Winner off Craigslist and do it whenever I can.
    If you have Netflix instant queue on your tv, they have alot of exercise videos. I just added several yesterday....No Jillian on demand yet but hopefully soon. I dont get the exercise vids by mail since I wouldnt want to return them :)
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Oh and speaking of Craigslist... bike and treadmill both for $175 :)
  • txtree50
    txtree50 Posts: 51
    Options
    WOW that is a GREAT deal for both. Smart woman! My husband just bought me a bowflex tredclimber from craigs list BUT it's sooooooooooooo hit inside even with the a/c on. We have a pool and it's too hot to swim!!!!!! I will have to wait until this evening when the sun goes down.
  • ksills05
    ksills05 Posts: 11
    Options
    If you have At&t Uverse under the "on Demand" section they have a ton of workout videos for free!
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I bought a workout ball from WalMart. It comes with an instructional dvd. I've also got some small, free weights and a mini trampoline that I can bounce on while watching tv :)
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    If you have At&t Uverse under the "on Demand" section they have a ton of workout videos for free!
    Thanks I'll check :)
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    here are a few ideas for anyone that needs to workout in the home but does not have the equipment style machines. You can do what is known as circuits: Modified push ups,bench dips from a chair seat,sit ups,jogging in place, high step marching, you can use canned foods as weights or even water jugs that have different levels of water in them and use them for weights, squats,lunges,jumping jacks, modified jump rope without the rope to cause damage, there is a lot you can do while inside and use what you all ready have in your home. I did mine this way because there was no money for exercise equipment and gyms. Your own body weight can be used. You do certain ones in reps and target different areas; workout in circuits should last you about 1 hour rotating each exercise but still doing 3 completed sets of each group you choose. Hope this helps. God Bless, brenda :flowerforyou:
  • Nicolletta
    Options
    If you have Netflix, you can play some workouts instantly on your computer.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I do most of workouts indoors too. If you like to dance, I would suggest zumba or Shaun T or Turbo Jam ... if you like to walk, Leslie Sansome has some wonderful walking videos..
  • tbrewer29
    Options
    If you have Comcast, they have a similar "On Demand" where you can also get workouts for free.
  • tbrewer29
    Options
    I have Netflix and have always wondered if they had exercise DVDs... I guess it's via live streaming - thanks for this info!
  • jenoverton76
    Options
    OH MY I didnt know that I would get so many answers!!! All of this was so helpful!!! Thank you everyone... I loved the netflix idea and the circuit training with ordinary furniture... I hope to get my self on the ball.. .Again Thanks... i feel so supported
  • dmbutler9
    Options
    A couple of hot weather workout ideas -

To get outside, ride a bike. The speed of the bike creates a cooling breeze that makes heat and humidity bearable... it might feel like you're melting if you stop, but I use that as incentive not to stop until I get home.

If you are going to workout indoors, get a fan blowing on you - even if you have AC. You need a breeze flowing over your body to keep cool.
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    Do about 20 mn on the bike before my knees yell at me so Im trying to build that time up.

Not meaning to steal the thread. I don't have anymore bright ideas for you. I checked out exercisetv.tv on the internet yesterday and that's another option you might try.

I wanted to comment on the knee issue. Whether it is a road bike, a trail bike, or a stationary bike...knee pain is NOT something you work through. Cycling should not put pressure on your knees! Get with a local bike shop or cyclist and they will tell you that your position is wrong! Generally, knee pain means that your seat is too low and the knee is being strained at the top of the rotation but there are other possibilities as well including the seat being too far forward. Please take a look at this as knee surgery is NOT fun (I've had it).