5K tips

Options
Hi, let me start off by saying I'm not a runner. I actually hate running, jogging, or anything in between. I have however decided to do a 5K tonight. It is to benefit the victims of the Moore tornado called the Moore Love 5K. I live in the tornado area and thought this would be a really good 5K for my first. I hear they are a lot of fun and I'm interested in doing more of them to motivate me to run more. Anyway, are there any good tips or things I need to know to help me out tonight. It was a last minute decision to do this and I feel totally unprepared.

On a side note, I do work out regularly. I'm just not into running.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Make sure you start towards the back or middle and don't crowd the line. The experienced/competitive runners will be off at a sprint.
  • kristybahner
    kristybahner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OK, I won't start anywhere close to the front, I really will just be happy to finish at this point. Not trying to be competitive at this point, nor do I want to be in anyone's way.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you don't currently run, walk this and maybe jog a bit here and there as long as you are comfortable. Enjoy the experience and feel good for doing something good for others and for your body. It's not really the time and place to start learning to be a runner. Congrats on doing the run, for sure.
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Im not a runner either, but recently did my first 5k for fun and FUN it was. My tip/suggestion is to get someone to run with you. Ya'll can keep each other moving. Good Luck & Have Fun!!
  • Hattie2513
    Hattie2513 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Oh this has been useful to read as I am a 'newbie' to running since the days when I was a long distance runner at school. Having a friend run with you is a great idea... I am doing two events to give me more incentive/pressure to get fit called Spartan and Mens Survival of the Fittest. The first one is a 5k with obstacles and the second it a 10k with obstacles.

I did a run today on a treadmill and even though it can be annoying just running on a spot it can also make you more aware of your progress eg. variation of speed, the amount of time you need to slow down for before running faster. Pacing is very important I think, as you last longer that way.

Hope it all goes well :)
  • kristybahner
    Options
    Im not a runner either, but recently did my first 5k for fun and FUN it was. My tip/suggestion is to get someone to run with you. Ya'll can keep each other moving. Good Luck & Have Fun!!

I actually am running with a friend, she asked me to do it with her.
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Go slow at the start. Your goal is to just finish the race, not post a PR or anything competitive, right? The adrenaline you feel at the beginning might trick you into going out faster than you should, so my advice is to dial that back a bit and find a pace that you can run comfortably for 25-35 minutes. Don't worry about the runners around you, run your own race. If you've got anything left towards the finish, then by all means pick the pace up and finish strong.

Good on you for running your first 5k, and double good on you for doing this for the cause. :smile:
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    1. Get professionally fitted shoes. Shoes that are not compatible with your gait can ruin the rest of your day (or week, or month).
    2. Run slow. Since you work out regularly you might have good enough endurance, but it doesn't mean your legs are prepared for 3.1 miles of pounding the pavement.
  • kristybahner
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice, I think there is some useful information here. Getting ready to go, it's going to be really crowded so I don't think I will be able to go fast at all...or maybe that's what I will tell myself ;)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    1. Get professionally fitted shoes. Shoes that are not compatible with your gait can ruin the rest of your day (or week, or month).
    2. Run slow. Since you work out regularly you might have good enough endurance, but it doesn't mean your legs are prepared for 3.1 miles of pounding the pavement.

Get fitted shoes is a tip for her 1st 5K tonight?
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Get fitted shoes is a tip for her 1st 5K tonight?
    Brand new shoes might give her blisters, but improper running shoes can give her ankle or knee problems. Personally I'll take the blisters.