CONSTANTLY HUNGRY! HELP?!?!

Options
I am big into running as a way to get fit and lose weight, my problem is I am literally hungry all the time. I know it is my metabolism, and all that good stuff, but someone else has to have gone through this and can help me!

Tips on how to curb hunger as your metabolism is speeding up?

Replies

• HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am big into running as a way to get fit and lose weight, my problem is I am literally hungry all the time. I know it is my metabolism, and all that good stuff, but someone else has to have gone through this and can help me!

Tips on how to curb hunger as your metabolism is speeding up?

Less carbs and more protein is a spot to start. More water? Any sugar or aspartame will increase your cravings.
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ^this! And try moving your meals around...if you normally have a big dinner and small breakfast...switch it up..eat a large breakfast and smaller meals thru out the day. A bigger breakfast helps me control hunger throughout the day. And drink lots and lots of water! I started making sure to up my protein w meats...protein powder...greek yogurt..etc etc. Keep running girl;)
  • HeatherDee92
    Options
    Crap I bet my love for diet soda mixed with my love for running is why I am so hungry. I guess it is really time to say good bye to diet coke, and hello only water :( Thanks for the advice!
  • lsharet
    lsharet Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the same problem. I feel like I'm starving all the time! I get protein with every meal and have small meals throughout the day, but I drink diet soda all the time. It sounds like the diet soda is doing it.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    adderral ......:wink:
  • HeatherDee92
    Options
    I have the same problem. I feel like I'm starving all the time! I get protein with every meal and have small meals throughout the day, but I drink diet soda all the time. It sounds like the diet soda is doing it.

I know diet soda isn't good and can lead to sugar cravings, but I didn't realize it led to all cravings!
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    adderral ......:wink:

Lmfao crap i picked the wrong week to stop taking amphetamines!
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    just had to say it..... Im kinda cra like that
  • traciemc
    traciemc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just to shoot a hole in that theory - I also run and am absolutely starving all the time - I don't drink diet soda :)

I had no problems with feelings of hunger while losing weight, but I wasn't running then. I started running in January, and also reached pretty much maintenance at that time - I'm now eating far, far more than I was eating while losing (approx 2000 calories per day now, compared with 1400 calories while losing) but am absolutely ravenous all of the time.

Good think I really enjoy my running, because the extreme hunger almost isn't worth it!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Eat more fiber/end thread.
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    I have only looked at the last few days in your food diary and maybe they are not typical but you don't seem to eat any vegetables. They might help make you feel fuller as they contain insoluble fibre. Try and aim for at least a portion of fruit or veg with each meal and see if it helps.
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Diet soda lowers your blood sugar because the sweet flavor makes your body produce insulin but there is no real "sugar" for it to process. Having your blood sugar spike from a meal and then drop from diet soda can definitely cause hunger cravings. When people are hungry every two hours and can't skip a meal without "dying", it usually isn't that they have a super awesome metabolism, it's that they have oscillating blood sugar. Proteins and fats help stabilize it for longer periods of time. Give it a try (without the diet soda) and see if it helps!
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Fiberous vegetables, some fruits and healthy fats. The healthy fats will slow down metabolism and also sends the signal to your brain that you're full. If someone just cuts refined carbs and doesn't incorporate more healthy fats, they never feel satiated. Also, fruits with high amounts of pectin in them can help as well like apples. Just don't go OVERBOARD on fruit, they contain sugars as well.
  • snowfallgently
    Options
    Thanks that information is very helpful to me!
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    When I looked at your diary the thing that jumped out at me was that you need more volume, that is, veggies. I tend to prefer very energy dense foods, and I made a rule for myself that I must eat at least one low carb veggie with every meal. Sometimes I have to choke down the cup of broccoli/cucumber/cauliflower/spinach/lettuce/celery, etc. but it helps keep me more full and it is a small lifestyle change that I need to make for my health.

I add a big handful of baby spinach to nachos, artichokes are fairly innocuous on pizza, celery is a nice palate cleanser for eggs&meat breakfasts, etc.

My other hunger helpers are dropping my carbs (works but not instantly, and it doesn't necessarily need to be crazy low--150g does it for me and I can get away with even more when exercising). Eating a high-protein snack like a chicken quarter or can of tuna helps me if it's been a low-protein day.