Why No Change Since Lifting? Weightlifters Opinions Needed

Options
I've been lifting for about 3mos now and I don't really see any difference. Yes, I can tell that certain areas are getting more muscular, but it's only something I can feel. The mirror doesn't look any different. Should I be doing something differently with my diet before I will see a real difference in the mirror. I started with lifting about 3mos ago but in the last two weeks began the lifting routine from "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" so I know that my workout is good but I must be missing something else.

Any suggestions?? My diary is open by the way so please give me your opinions.

Replies

• Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    More protein, more water, less sodium! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking photos?

I can't see changes in the mirror, at all. Everything happens so gradually that it's like watching grass grow. But if I compare a photo in the same pose and similar clothing (or lack of clothing), I can see the difference.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you eating appropriately?

If you're trying to lose, that's more about diet than exercise.

If you're trying to gain, 3months isn't very long... give it more time.

• Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Could be your not getting enough food to help your body grow or even though the routine is good as you say maybe your just not pushing hard enough.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier.
    Make sure your food tracking is accurate.
    Make sure your recovery is adequate.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking photos?

I can't see changes in the mirror, at all. Everything happens so gradually that it's like watching grass grow. But if I compare a photo in the same pose and similar clothing (or lack of clothing), I can see the difference.

This. I'd swear I'd made no progress over the past 3 months without comparing pics. In pics, the difference is clear. Leaner back, less fat on stomach, etc.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier.
    Make sure your food tracking is accurate.
    Make sure your recovery is adequate.
    Pretty much this. Have you gotten stronger in the last 3 months?
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm trying to lose. I'm 5'3" and currently 167. The number isn't important, though, if I look thinner.

Yes, I think I've gotten a little stronger. I increased my weights a tad in the last couple weeks although my legs still get tired just walking up the stairs to my apartment
    that's one thing that seems really odd to me.

My logging is what you see. I know my sodium can be high at times and I don't know how I can get more protein. I have it in every meal and I've started drinking a protein shake after workouts in the last 2wks.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm trying to lose. I'm 5'3" and currently 167. The number isn't important, though, if I look thinner.

Yes, I think I've gotten a little stronger. I increased my weights a tad in the last couple weeks although my legs still get tired just walking up the stairs to my apartment

My logging is what you see. I know my sodium can be high at times and I don't know how I can get more protein. I have it in every meal and I've started drinking a protein shake after workouts in the last 2wks.

Wait, are you saying that you didn't increase the weight progressively until 2 weeks ago? If you use the exact same weight for 3 months, you're not going to see much change.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    Weight-lifting will help with your shape - but diet (i.e. calorie deficit) will be the key player in body fat loss. You have to do both of these things (with the diet piece being 80-90% of the battle, for me) in order to change your shape.
  • dcl3872
    dcl3872 Posts: 20
    Options
    Muscle is toning underneath there your diet will showcase it. eventually.
  • avivan
    avivan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When you snack, your snacks should be protein (jerky, low fat cheese, protein bars, greek yogurt are good snacks). Meals should have lean high protein foods. Definitely drink a shake after your work outs and add a 2nd shake if you're still not getting enough protein. Eat back all your exercise calories.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

What routine were you using *before* you started NROLFW?

You need to increase the weights progressively in order to make progress. I walk up 6 floors' worth of stairs without getting winded now that I do squats. That should be one of the outcomes if you do anaerobic training. If you haven't seen any progress, I suspect you haven't been challenging yourself enough.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Muscle builds under fat... if you're not in a caloric deficit.. results aren't going to show regardless.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Definitely do a post work out protein shake. Use whey protein as it digests faster. You are getting results you can feel. As your weight loss progresses the muscle underneath will become more apparent. Keep beating up that iron at the gym!
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Stairs are cardio, not strength. If you don't work on your cardiovascular strength, you'll always get winded walking up those stairs, regardless of how much muscle you have pushing you.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    I only just started lifting but maybe this will help:
    There 3 body types : Endomorph, Mesomorph and Ectomorph. Maybe you are an Endomorph
    Typical traits of an Endomorph:
    Soft and round body
    Gains muscle and fat very easily
    Is generally short
    "Stocky" build
    Round physique
    Finds it hard to lose fat
    Slow metabolism
    Muscles not so well defined

When it comes to training endomorphs find it very easy to gain weight. Unfortunately, a large portion of this weight is fat not muscle. To keep fat gain to a minimum, endomorphs must always train cardio as well as weights.
    Here is a test to find out your body type : http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    As people have touched upon, if your previous training was vastly different to NROLFW (ie not progressive, not heavy) then technically, you've only been strength training for 2 weeks.

Your attitude of "The number isn't important, though, if I look thinner" is spot on, though, so have faith and you will succeed.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I started NROLFW in February, eating a 300 calories deficit from my TDEE as suggested in the book. I have not seen any significant difference on the scale (1 pound lost in that time) but my inches lost keep getting higher! Have you measured?
  • SALSACHICA1
    SALSACHICA1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The book (which I am in the middle of reading) also says that you need to be able to run a couple of miles before you start lifting heavy. Could you do that before? Also, I agree with everyone else's comments, lots of Protein. I am just starting the lifting heavy and am at the same weight as you (although taller)... I will send Friend invite!