That awesome moment...

Options
Last night I was in the check-out lane in the grocery store when I ran into a buddy of mine. After looking in my buggy, he asked me why I didn't get anything to eat. When I didn't answer he went on to say that all I had was fruits and veggies and I didn't buy any meals, (I did buy brown rice, eggs, canned veggies and a roast). I guess he thought because I didn't buy a frozen lasagna and Hamburger Helper I didn't have anything for meals. I had to explain we typically don't buy prepared meals and cook everything from scratch. I didn't think my diet had changed much until I had to explain that chicken fajitas don't have to be unhealthy and frozen! I guess I'm feeling pretty good about my decisions and wanted to share!

Replies

• RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic!!
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!!
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Similarly, this morning I stopped by the grocery to pick up a quick breakfast and some snacks for my office, and the lady at checkout was asking me about what I picked out. She was really interested and I was all too happy to explain how I use certain grains and how certain foods taste. If I had bought a bunch of frozen pizza and Hormel Chili, I would have probably missed out on that pleasant conversation.
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    ' I had to explain we typically don't buy prepared meals and cook everything from scratch.'

that's really great to hear, its inspiring to hear decisions like this.....cant remember the last time I had a prepared meal
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thats an awesome NSV!

I had that reaction from my mother a few weeks ago when I came home with all fresh/frozen veggies, lean meats and healthy options..
    She asked me (while helping me put the food away): Where are the cans? what about some canned fruit for the kids? where is the chef boyardee and oodles of noodles? Your kids are gonna hate you for not giving them good stuff!

I responded: They will live to hate me a lot longer if I feed them this way! Plus, they actually LIKE the foods I give them!

HIGH FIVE FOR HEALTHY LIVING!
  • JenHall3310
    JenHall3310 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ' I had to explain we typically don't buy prepared meals and cook everything from scratch.'

that's really great to hear, its inspiring to hear decisions like this.....cant remember the last time I had a prepared meal

We initially stopped buying those meals because they were SO expensive and we have maintained it because we feel SO much better!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    people look at me like I'm crazy when i say i don't eat food from boxes, and that i get a lot of my food from places other than a grocery store! in the summer, i only go in to buy milk and a few things to keep the kids sane
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Beauteous!
  • amammaa4
    amammaa4 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Great NSV!!!!
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    that's a sure sign that your lifestyle is moving in the right direction!! silly people...
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Love this - had the same reaction looking into some strangers' carts at the grocery store... it was a little shocking to me how much of people's groceries are frozen/boxed food! I didn't think I had changed that much either...
  • Mama06
    Mama06 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thats an awesome NSV!

I had that reaction from my mother a few weeks ago when I came home with all fresh/frozen veggies, lean meats and healthy options..
    She asked me (while helping me put the food away): Where are the cans? what about some canned fruit for the kids? where is the chef boyardee and oodles of noodles? Your kids are gonna hate you for not giving them good stuff!

I responded: They will live to hate me a lot longer if I feed them this way! Plus, they actually LIKE the foods I give them!

HIGH FIVE FOR HEALTHY LIVING!

Awesome! Good for you! My mom doesn't like fresh foods, so it's a CONSTANT battle in our house!
  • RockingThis
    Options
    I work in the deli at a huge grocery store. I can't belive all the crap people buy! Even before i stated being healthy i never bought that much boxed meals!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    This program changes you, and you don't really notice it.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    That does feel good!

I love when strangers or the cashier at the check out are like "WOW! You eat really healthy!".

"Yep. I do. :)"

Even though eating clean and fresh is costly, I always find a way. I refuse to eat crap because it's cheap. My body is my most solid investment.
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    'people look at me like I'm crazy when i say i don't eat food from boxes'

LOL.....that's brilliant

In the UK people now have what is called allottments (I guess in the US its a small holding?) where they grow there own vegetables as well and for some reason they taste actually better than the supermarkets....well to me they do
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    That's fantastic, and kind of worrying that people think that main foods should be only ready meals. :noway:
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    You have made the step that is most important to better health, changing your lif style as opposed to simply dieting. Dieting can't work because eventually you will stop. Changing your life style remains a constant and thus the results are sustainable. Nice job.
  • bwnorton
    bwnorton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That's an inspiring story! Those NSVs are awesome!
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: That IS awesome!

I was with DD2 and she had asked for something FULL of sugar. I told her no and she asked why. I told her all that sugar would just rot her brain, and she didn't need it. The guy next to us couldn't help but laugh. I've talked about healthy eating since they were little. Now as teenagers, they're pretty good at making a healthier choice!