Ready to Feel Better

Options
Hello all!

Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself. I am new to MFP but not new to fitness, weight loss (and unfortunately weight gain), exercise etc. I am one of those people that used to go to the gym every day and ate right (though never really reached my goals) and felt great and then just stopped and became heavier, sickly, and miserable.

I am almost 27 years old, yet I feel so much older. I am at my heaviest weight (212lb) and I am only 5'3". I am ready to take back my life and feel better and look better. I got a gym membership about a week ago and have gone every day. I've been keeping track of calories and nutrients and all that fun stuff. So far so good I think.

My plan is to strength train different body groups (abs/calves, legs, back/bicep, chest/tricep, shoulders/forearms) each day for 5 days a week and do cardio 5 days as well. Right now I am so out of shape this is about all I can handle. I plan on increasing intensity as soon as I am physically able.

Wish me luck. I still have lots to explore as far as proper diet for my particular situation. Open to encouragement and suggestions :smile:

Replies

• jenns717
    jenns717 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You sound like you have the right plan. I have learned that if I just take small goals each day I am more successful. Sometimes looking at the big goal can cause us to be depressed. With thoughts, of how am I ever going to get there. Just give yourself small goals: log all food and exercise today. You have it in you! Have a great day! Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    I'll add you too! I'm almost 27 as well (my birthday is in a couple of weeks) and I'm also 5'3"

Plus, I think strength training is awesome :smile:
  • tyb03
    tyb03 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Girl I feel the same way. I'm only 5' 2"! I go hard then fall off, go hard, fall, off, etc. It's taking me forever to lose but since Jan. I've lost 17 lbs. That's not an accomplishment to me. I work out with my bf at the gym (who is in shape might I add) and more recently, days we can't make it to the gym we've been incorporating a workout plan at home. My issue is snacks... I LOVE THEM lol. Since June 1, I've decided to try my best again. It's hard, but I'm hoping for better and quicker results this time around.
  • valkyrieCiara
    Options
    You sound like you have the right plan. I have learned that if I just take small goals each day I am more successful. Sometimes looking at the big goal can cause us to be depressed. With thoughts, of how am I ever going to get there. Just give yourself small goals: log all food and exercise today. You have it in you! Have a great day! Feel free to add me as a friend :)

Thanks jenns! Very good advice. I'm trying to go into this realistically. I know it's going to be a long and hard journey but I'm going to take it day by day and do my best. I sent you a friend request :)

tyb and jinna, I'm gad I'm not alone in my shortiness :) tyb I think having lost 17 pounds is awesome! It may have taken a while but you did it!! Imagine if you still had that 17 pounds. Probably not a happy thought right? 17 lbs is HUGE to me :) You should be proud of yourself in my eyes. I understand what you mean about snacks too. I think I've got my cravings under control though. I've been eating fruit cups (the kind that are in 100% juice and don't have added sugar and whatnot) to help hold myself over between bigger snacks/meals. I also allow myself an "unhealthy" snack here and there but definitely in moderation. I'm talking like a Hershey Kiss or two every other day or something. I was thinking about getting some of those Skinny Cow ice cream snacks to try here and there too. The trick is to have the self control not to eat them all lol I just try to keep in mind how hard I worked at the gym or how great I'm going to feel when I lose weight.