DIFFERENT METHODS FOR STAYING SANE!

Options
I am wanting to hear how different people manage their minds and bodies as far as nutrition. I KNOW how to eat right, and I know the things that will help me get there like grocery shopping regularly, preplanning, etc. etc. However, I always find myself unprepared, without the proper groceries, and hungry. Even when I do get everything together, I find that I am still hungry. Or maybe I snack or eat bc I am used to it. Who knows. What do you do to not feel deprived, stay organized, and eat under your calories? Any personal success advice would be helpful to my journey. Thanks!

Replies

• vickilowell
    vickilowell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like your topic header....well said.....you do have to switch things up so you don't get bored. However, I know that what works best for me is to pre-plan my day early in the morning. I get up, pour a hot beverage and FIRST thing sit down and plan my calories for the day on here. I start with dinner since it is our "family meal" and then work backwards to see how many calories I have left (always making sure I have three meals and one snack). I find that if I don't do this.....I am out of calories by dinnertime and then I totally fall off the wagon. Typical day; cereal w/almond milk or egg-white scramble for breakfast, a wrap or soup/salad for lunch, a piece of fruit or a fat free yogurt for snack and then a "fun" dinner with a glass of wine to end the day.....it takes a week or two to get in the groove with planning ahead but I really really find it helps (and there's no mental stress because the day ahead has a plan). This has also really helped me with grocery shopping....I always buy a package of low carb wraps, make sure I have cereal-veggies-fruit-yogurt.....that way the "good" food is there when hunger strikes as well. Hope that helps? By the way, CUTE picture and beautiful baby!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    try to have pre-prepared healthy snacks, and the means to make very quick healthy meals/snacks. For example I'll boil up a batch of chicken breasts then keep the cooked chicken breasts in the fridge to grab for use in salads or other quick meals, or just eat them as a snack as they are. Same with boiled eggs.

If snacking is an issue, maybe eat bigger meals. I know it sounds obvious, but a lot of people will try to be "good" at meal times by going without or making extra low calorie meals, then they get hungry a couple of hours later and need to snack. Eating low carb low fat meals isn't necessarily the best idea. Eat enough to feel satisfied and not get hungry until your next meal. Include healthy sources of fat and plenty of protein, as that's what helps keep you feel satisfied. If your energy levels seem to be flagging, eat more carbs. It will probably take some trial and error to find out how much of everything you need to eat at mealtimes so you can stay full for a long time, without actually going over your calorie limits for the day. But this is about re-educating yourself for life, so you can maintain a healthy body composition for life. So it's worth taking the time to figure this out.

BTW there's nothing inherently wrong with snacking, some people prefer smaller meals and snacks in between. Nothing wrong with this at all. But if you're likely to start unplanned snacking and find it difficult to plan to have healthier snacks around for when you want a snack, then one possible solution is to eat more at meals.

Also, if you feel constantly hungry, you may be eating too few calories, you can check, there's a thread "in place of a road map" where you can calculate how much you can eat and still lose weight, and eating more while losing fat at a sligthly slower rate, works for a lot of people because it's that much more sustainable and you can stick with it for life more easily.
  • BaackOnIt
    BaackOnIt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank yall! Both responses are helpful. I need to get to the grocery store first and foremost. Will plan to do this weekend.
  • vickilowell
    vickilowell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Cut yourself some slack if you have an off day.....being a mom of little ones is exhausting. I try to plan my food day before anyone else gets up and only one day at a time so that I'm not overwhelmed. Having quick easy snacks for yourself is key.... low fat cheese sticks and fruit and even some stashed away 100 calorie snack packs for days you need a "treat". Every healthy day is an extra day added to your future with your kids! ;o)