Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Questions about Heart Rate Monitors.

I just purchased a Polar FT7 HRM and was curious about the accuracy of the calorie counting feature. I used it for the first time tonight during strength training and was shocked at the amount of calories this thing is claiming I used. If it is correct then it would certainly explain the 3 week long plateau I've been experiencing in weight loss. Anyone have experience with HRM'S that could give some insight to the accuracy of the calorie counting feature?

Replies

• Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    hrm are not an accurate way to measure your calories burned while weight training. Hrm are good for cardio .
  • kevinpruitt
    kevinpruitt Posts: 50 Member
    Thanks for your reply :)
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    i hate the polar ft40 and wondering the same thing. I often do cardio and it says i have burned alot. From what i hear, it is more accurate when your hr stays up high within range. interested in more replies!
  • kevinpruitt
    kevinpruitt Posts: 50 Member
    I'm curious if it is under estimating or over estimating. I know during a cardio only night, the HRM built into the stationary bike I use matches heart rates perfectly with the polar I am wearing at the time. The calorie burn count is a huge difference though, usually off by 100+ calories. The polar being the source estimating a higher calorie burn. Still looking for more insight.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Well there can be a difference in calories burned if one is calculating based on your weight and the other one on a preset 150 pounds person. Being bigger means you will burn more calories than the smaller person. Did you enter your weight in your bike calculator?
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    I've been using my Polar FT7 for over 2 years and in my opinion, the calories burned seem pretty accurate. I love it and I will get another one if I ever need to replace it.
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    I use my Polar FT7 daily and I feel that it is accurate. i know when I push myself and it is generally reflected on my calories burned. I also use it when I lift weights, but because I'm pressed for time in the morning I don't take standard rests after reps. I'll do a set of squats or lunges and then do something with my upper body. The larger muscles use more energy so my heart rate stays elevated.... I know that is not the best method, but I fit it in. Also, I checked with my A&P teacher because he was excited about his FitBit and he said that HRMs are great for tracking as long as you know your BMR whereas the FitBit tracks everything all the time. My point is, I feel that the FT7 is accurate and I wouldn't trade it in for anything else at the moment.
  • cyndilie
    cyndilie Posts: 52
    Just bought the Polar FT7 and was disappointed to see that I am not burning the calories that I thought I was. My treadmill is close, but still shows I've burned more than the HRM does. My Healthrider is way overestimating calories burned. I'm glad I bought it because it surely gives me a truer picture of calorie burn since my treadmill and Healthrider are not programmable with age and weight, and the FT7 is. I recommend one highly. I definitely see the increase in calories burned per minute when I increase my speed. On the treadmill and Healthrider, calories burned per minutes are always the same, when I first start out and when I am finishing up. :noway:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    HRMs are really designed for steady state cardio as a training aid and not as a calorie counter - for calorie counts they are only really comparing you against various data points gathered in a lab.

For strength training your heart rate is only a very loose indication of effort. It will give you a number but how close that number is to reality is really down to the style of training you are doing and pot luck.
    I would imagine that the closer your strength training is to a consistent raised heart rate then the more accurate it will be. So closer for no rest, circuit style training and just about useless for low reps, long pause between sets style of weight training.

The plus side is that it's a personal and consistent measure so if you track over time the consistency trumps any inaccuracy.
    I've used my FT7 for cardio, circuits and long distance cycling and eaten back my exercise calories the whole time. The caveat is that I've adjusted my calorie intake based on actual results over time rather than just stick to estimates and calculations.

Hope this makes sense!!
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

good article that explains it pretty well.
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    I have the Polar FT4 and I use it for cardio and lifting weights. As long as I see my heart rate elevated, I know I'm burning more cals. I don't eat but maybe 1/2 my exercise calories back though just in case.

I have definitely noticed a difference in the elliptical machine and my HR monitor...the Elliptical MAJORLY overestimates my calories, but my treadmill calories are spot on.