"Gaining" weight but looking smaller!

Options
bonitacash08
bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
Just wanted to let you ladies know, it's okay to gain while you're lifting. Since I increased my calories about 6 weeks ago, I've been "gaining" and "losing" the same 5 lbs but my stomach is soooo much smaller. I can see muscle definition in my shoulders, arms, and legs.

When I started MFP back in January, I was struggling to fit into an XL shirt and spilling out of my size 13 jeans. Now, my stomach can fit into a size small (my boobs are another story, still too big for an XL lol) and my 11s are loose! But I GAINED 5 lbs!!!

The more you learn about nutrition, the more you realize weight plays such a small part in the big picture. You have to consider body fat percentage, height, age, fitness level, etc.

I still step on the scale pretty regularly, but it doesn't mean anything. Not to me at least. I can't tell you how many compliments I've gotten since I've started lifting and EATING. Those 5 lbs can go f*** themselves because I look great!

***P.S. I weigh anywhere from 162-165.. I'm 5'4" and I ROCK those smalls!!!!!***

Replies

• quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Great story and great advice :) Sometimes that scale is just a number. Keep up the great work! :)
  • Rashmi_mishra
    Rashmi_mishra Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I have lost just about 4 lbs over 8 weeks since i started MFP - but i look so very different and the inch loss is great! The scale is the only frustrating thing - but i try and ignore it as long as i am seeing some kind of improvement :-)
  • tlm0403
    tlm0403 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! So happy for you! I just started lifting 2 weeks ago and I already feel much stronger. I haven't noticed a lot yet in terms of being smaller, except that I have lost about an inch in my chest, which is just fine by me. My clothes are looser too, but I am sure in a few more weeks, I will be noticing more! I can't wait and like you said, the scale is just a number!
  • finkplamingoes
    finkplamingoes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Very true and just what I'm going through! I've only lost about 4lbs in the past couple months, but I'm noticing so much more definition and I'm finally going sleeveless and wearing more form-fitting clothes. When I told my boyfriend how much I'd lost, he was shocked and thought I looked like I'd lost much more. Thanks for the reminder that it's not all about the scale! Glad you're feeling great!!
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    It's just a number on the scale. Same thing with me. I have been hovering in the same 4-5 lb range, but my measurements are getting smaller, I look better, and I feel GREAT!
  • ShallaLovee1
    ShallaLovee1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    RIGHT! And congratulations on the success. I totally agree with everything said. Weight doesn't really mean a thing to me either.

I'm just starting to lift any tips? I've been doing my strength training videos from my workout DVD sets and just exercises with free weights.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    good point.
  • anyayz
    anyayz Posts: 6
    Options
    I totally needed to hear that! I have been lifting for about 3 months and have been so frustrated recently that I'm gaining weight but working SO hard! I know in my head that I'm gaining muscle, getting toned and stronger but the number on that scale still bothered me (probably due to my history of yo-yo dieting). Thanks for the reminder to stay focused on the bigger picture! Great job!
  • bonitacash08
    Options
    RIGHT! And congratulations on the success. I totally agree with everything said. Weight doesn't really mean a thing to me either.

I'm just starting to lift any tips? I've been doing my strength training videos from my workout DVD sets and just exercises with free weights.

You should find a good program; that's what I did. I read New Rules of Lifting for Women (GREAT read btw, I really recommend that) but the program I follow is Stronglifts 5x5 and I absolutely LOVE it. If you don't go to a gym then you can do body weight exercises as well. Just depends on your personal preference :-)
  • KCalmeyn
    KCalmeyn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reminder. I am still so hung up on what the scales says. I also started MFP in January and lost 29lbs by March 17th while focusing my workouts on cardio only.
    On March 18th, I started a 12 weeks weight training program and have only lost and additional 8 pounds. BUT I too see the muscles in my arms, shoulders, back and legs taking shape.
    I started in Size 18 pants that were too tight but I refused to buy 20's. I am now into a size 14 pants, and am down from XL or 1X shirt to a L.
    I know that muscle weighs more than fat and all of that, but is sure is hard to retrain your brain to ignore the scale.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    post body pics pleeeeeze:)
  • RoseRoiz
    RoseRoiz Posts: 95
    Options
    I have gain weight too! but, I can see more muscle tone.
  • KCalmeyn
    KCalmeyn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been followimg this routine. It also provides a meal plan to follow.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You got to keep your boobs... totally not fair O_o.......
  • MisConway
    MisConway Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! I am 2.5 weeks into a 12 week lifting program and can see definition in my arms, shoulders, and back but continue to be frustrated at the scale. I appreciate the encouragment and motivation to keep going!
  • bonitacash08
    Options

It runs in my family.. I haven't lost a single ounce in them.. Sometimes it's great.. Other times, not so much. It's really hard to shop lol
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    *Thumbs up*
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Bravo! Same here.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this reminder! Keep up the great work:)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

It runs in my family.. I haven't lost a single ounce in them.. Sometimes it's great.. Other times, not so much. It's really hard to shop lol

Maybe my gain has been some muscle, and boobs! It's so strange, since I was never large busted as a young woman, but most of the 10 lbs I have gained lately is in the chest/boobs!?!

OP, thanks for posting. I needed to be reminded that not all gains are fat!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!