I want to live.

Options
Hi, I'm new to this, have been finding way way around the site for the past 3 days. I have 9 stone to lose and really don't know where to begin. I have two children aged 13 and 7 years and I want to live to see them grow up, flourish and begin their lives. The way I am going I will be dead by the age of 50. It's very sad but true. I would like to get to know some of you and learn how you do this thing -lose weight. Please help me, someone. :(

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.

Check out my profile; if you like what you see, feel free to add me.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    welcome aboard. you & anyway is welcome to friend me. friend folks, look at the macros, & remember, what your motivation is. why not put pictures of your kids on th fridge? every day make a few more better decisions than the day before. Remember, you wont lose your weight this week or even this week & next week but you can be developing better habits & lifestyle this week, and every day just do a little better. :)
  • aidendart
    aidendart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Get them involved! My 7 and 12 year old work out with me. Count my sit ups, do insanity with me, and measure out my food. They want you healthy too!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The first step is admitting you're ready to do this for yourself. And you seem to have done that, so congratulations! The forums are a great source of information and most everyone here is helpful if you are just specific with your questions. Keep in mind that what works for some people may not work for you. There might be hard times, plateaus, and frustration, but it's worth it! You have children to live for and in my opinion, that's a great reason to live. Welcome to MFP!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You can do it! If not for yourself, do it for your kids. MFP gives you all the tools, plus a great community to keep you motivated. You just have to keep coming back everyday. Make it a habit. The work you put into it is SO worth it! Good luck!
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Well, you have definitely made a step in the right direction by joining this site. I definitely recommend using the food diary portion at first, because it will help you put your habits into perspective and help you make adjustments to your intake. You can search the forums for calorie calculators and all kinds of helpful info. Just take it a day at a time. Make a couple changes every few weeks, so you don't overwhelm yourself. You'll get there.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I can understand where you are coming from - just over a year ago i was at least 7 stones overweight and morbidly obese. My health was suffering and even doing the easy thing was hard but i have four kids and I knew that if I wanted to see them grow up i would have to do something.

I'm now 54lbs down - train 6 nights a week and much fitter (and happier).

Feel free to add me.
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Believe me, if I can do this so can you. I've dieted my entire life without sustainable success until now. I know for a fact, I've got it this time. I don't feel like I'm on a diet and eat whatever I want. I did give up drinking soda which I think has helped tremendously. Other than that, I just eat what I want and if its something that's high in calories, I just won't eat as much. Get everything to fit into your macros and you'll be losing away. Please don't give up!! We've all been there and I know you can do this. Take it one step at at time. You're welcome to friend me if you like - I'd love that. Good luck!!!
  • dilldoony205
    Options
    Hey.

I recommend slowly replacing the foods you eat with healthier ones. I'm not sure what you eat, but here's some examples: White or yellow rice to brown rice, reducing soda intake, drinking more water, reducing bread and sugar intake, having fruit over cake, replacing fast foods by making your own healthier version.

You're going to have to figure out what you like to eat that's healthy. i love fish. When it comes to salads, I'm picky. I don't like kale, most nuts in salads, weird dressings or mango dressings. I like Italian dressing, fruit vinaigrette, chicken, medium/dark lettuces, spinach,

As for exercise... I used to struggle alot with it. Find something you enjoy. Keep reminding yourself why you're doing this, and do not slack off. Have a rest day weekly and a light workout day. All the other days, push yourself!

I have about 8 stones to loose, but I'm working at it! This is my first post on My Fitness Pal forums by the way.

Good luck and stay strong Scarlett!
  • lyn_2013
    lyn_2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp! You can do it! Feel free to add me!
  • 44Scarlett
    Options
    Thank you. That is certainly a good idea to put photos of my children on the fridge. Going to do that right now! Thanks for your motivation. :)
  • 44Scarlett
    Options
    Yes I am sure that is true. My daughter dances 4 times a week and even she at 13 is beginning to put weight on. This is down to me and my eating habits. Thank you for your inspiration. :)
  • 44Scarlett
    Options
    WELCOME!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!
    Thank you :)
  • milenatatarczak
    milenatatarczak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do it !! Good luck!!
  • 44Scarlett
    Options
    You can do it! If not for yourself, do it for your kids. MFP gives you all the tools, plus a great community to keep you motivated. You just have to keep coming back everyday. Make it a habit. The work you put into it is SO worth it! Good luck!
    Thank you...that is a good strategy..to log on here every day. Thank you.
  • 44Scarlett
    Options
    Well, you have definitely made a step in the right direction by joining this site. I definitely recommend using the food diary portion at first, because it will help you put your habits into perspective and help you make adjustments to your intake. You can search the forums for calorie calculators and all kinds of helpful info. Just take it a day at a time. Make a couple changes every few weeks, so you don't overwhelm yourself. You'll get there.
    Thank you.... this means a lot :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Check out my profile and diary as well. I finally changed my life after getting sick of being sick and choosing to live instead of die. My child deserves a mother who can function and participate in her life.

I had a LOT of health problems and my ONLY key to success was to change WHAT I eat. There are many people here who can somehow eat anything and everything, or under eat, or eat low fat/high carb and be successful (whether it's SUSTAINED, I doubt it.) but NOT ME. All my life I failed to get healthier because I tried to follow all the conventional low fat, low calorie advice. There IS a better way; in fact, there are a bunch of better ways. Healthier ways. Ways our body was designed to eat, such as foods that don't come in a box.

Feeling like superwoman is so much more fun than being sick, obese, depressed, and suicidal (all symptoms of malnutrition).