Mirena IUD users, please read!

Options
I have the Mirena IUD and I've loved everything about it so far. I just recently started working out and watching what I eat again, but I've heard some horror stories about trying to lose weight with Mirena. So my question for all of you is, were you able to lose weight? Was it harder to lose? Easier? Notice any difference at all? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Replies

• rmbslo
    rmbslo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am on my second Mirena and love it!!! I have had no side effects and don't feel it has effected my weight at all. I have had it for a total of 8 1/2 years with no complications.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena twice. The first time, I had it for 2 years and lost about 25 lbs in that time. I had switched from the Depo shot, so some of the weight slid right off. The rest was easily managed with diet and exercise.

I maintained a 10 lb range in between while taking different pills. Now, the send time, I'm losing again. It's slow going because it's just vanity pounds, but there is a downward trend.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have about 20lbs to lose, and I've only been working out for a little over a week. All I've seen in that time is a gain. I was unsure if the mirena could cause me to gain weight despite my efforts, and was contemplating having it removed. I know I haven't given it much time, I've only had it since early April, but it's discouraging to see the scale go the wrong way when I've been doing everything right!
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am on my 2nd Mirena and have lost 144lbs so far (100+before MFP). No problems or issues at all, I have PCOS and would pass out at the pain when a cyst would blow....it was necessary to get the Mirena....no problems what so ever & no more exploding cysts:)
  • LovingMe19
    Options
    I am on my 2nd Mirena and have lost 144lbs so far (100+before MFP). No problems or issues at all, I have PCOS and would pass out at the pain when a cyst would blow....it was necessary to get the Mirena....no problems what so ever & no more exploding cysts:)

Omg congrats! That's an amazing accomplishment! And thank you for your input, seeing all the positive posts is giving me hope it's not mirena. I love this thing and the last thing I want to do is have it removed!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena and have lost all my weight while on it.
  • emibrus1
    emibrus1 Posts: 59
    Options
    I've got one and have had no issues losing weight =D
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second one and have had no problems losing weight.

In general, with types of hormonal birth control where weight gain is a side effect, it's on the order of 5-10 pounds. When people gain way more than that and blame it on their birth control...it's much more likely that it's a calories in vs. calories out issue.
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I'm glad to hear you say that, my Dr recommends Mirena to help with my PCOS but after a rough time with the copper IUD I was hesitant. Thanks for sharing!
  • LovingMe19
    Options
    I'm on my second one and have had no problems losing weight.

In general, with types of hormonal birth control where weight gain is a side effect, it's on the order of 5-10 pounds. When people gain way more than that and blame it on their birth control...it's much more likely that it's a calories in vs. calories out issue.

I kind of figured that too. I read one story of a lady gaining 80lbs and blaming Mirena. That's just crazy and most likely laziness. I did read a few stories though of women claiming to actually try to lose weight, and not being able to lose more than 5lbs. They had it removed and claim the weight started falling off. It was just disheartening to read since I worked my *kitten* off and ate diligently, and only saw a gain. Seemed like a similar situation as these women had. I've only been at it for a little over a week, so I'll definitely give it more time. I'm just so happy to finally see positive stories about weight loss with Mirena. Thank you for your input :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I lost 133 pounds on Mirena. I obviously don't know if it would have been easier without it, but it wasn't all that difficult as it was, so I'd guess it did not affect my ability to lose weight.

Hormones affect everyone differently though.

(edited to add: I did not gain the weight on Mirena though!)
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have a mirena and I love it. It does not seem to have hindered my weight loss at all. You probably gained weight because of your new exercise routine (muscles being repaired and water retention)...it is very unlikely you gained fat.