Salsa

Options
I love love love fresh salsa. I made a huge bowl of it for my kids. Now, I can eat the salsa but obviously not a lot of chips. Anyone have an alternative to CHIPS and salsa?

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I like to dip veggies in salsa especially fresh bell peppers or cucumber!!

-Leash:heart:
  • shintowa
    shintowa Posts: 37
    Options
    Salsa on top of protein (veggie burgers, chicken, fish) or as a salad dressing, or both!
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For lunch (or even a snack), I make a huge salad with a dressing made of salsa mixed with a little light or fat-free sour cream (or you could use greek yogurt). If you want to make it a meal, add some black beans, chicken, etc.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    All of the above! lol. We also like to add salsa on a breakfast burrito... course those are days I know I'll be burning cals lol. I just made a batch of salsa and canned 2 jars, can't wait til tomorrow!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Here's a few ideas to go along with your Salsa, or Hummus :) I'll share more as I dig through my recipes, but these are simple yummy ones for starters :)

Pita Crackers

Slice whole wheat pitas into small bite sized pieces.
    Bake with the inner side up at 350 until they get crisp.
    Keep an eye on the oven because some crisp faster than others.
    Let cool and serve with tuna fish or any of your favorite spreads.
    They are sooooooo tasty
    ====================================================================

Pita or Corn Tortilla Chip Recipe

Chips for Dips
    Serves 12 (as an appetizer)

12 corn tortillas -- or pita, whole wheat tortillas, whatever non-
    stick
    spray (health food stores have ones without the propellant or use an
    oil
    pump)
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet generously
    with non-stick spray.

Stack the tortillas and cut them into 6 even pieces, sort of like a
    pizza. Place on the cookie sheet and lightly spray the tortillas.
    Bake for
    8 minutes or so checking to make sure they don't get too brown.

Let cool and serve with hummus or Black Bean Dip. Put a generous
    portion of veggies out with the chips, too.

NOTE: Make sure you only use the non-stick sprays from the health
    food store. The others are full of propellant and unless you plan on
    flying your food, propellant doesn't belong there. Or buy an oil pump
    that uses air to help spray. Available at Wal-Mart and other stores,
    for
    under $10. Great investment.

Per serving: 56 Calories; 1g Total Fat;
    1g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 40mg Sodium

=========================================================

BAKED CORN CHIPS

20 corn tortillas
    Non stick cooking spray

Spray each tortilla with a small amount of non-stick cooking spray. Cut tortillas, several at a time, into 8 pie-shaped wedges using kitchen shears. Arrange in a single layer on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until crisp and slightly browned (10 minutes).
    Optional: Sprinkle chips with various spices such as garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika or Parmesan cheese before baking. Store in an airtight container. Makes approximately 4 cups.

======================================================================================
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I love love love fresh salsa. I made a huge bowl of it for my kids. Now, I can eat the salsa but obviously not a lot of chips. Anyone have an alternative to CHIPS and salsa?
    How do you make your homemade Salsa? I would love love to make some, I bet it's delish compared to the jars. :laugh:

TIA:flowerforyou:
  • mamaturner
    Options
    How do you make your homemade Salsa? I would love love to make some, I bet it's delish compared to the jars. :laugh:

2 tomatoes, small dice
    1 sweet onion, small dice
    1 jalepeno, take out seeds and ribs (unless you want it hot!) minced
    garlic clove, turned to paste (either use a microplane or grind it with kosher salt)
    1/2 to 1 bunch cilantro, chopped or ripped
    1/2 - 1 lime juiced
    salt to taste

For cooked salsa
    diced tomatoes
    diced peppers (hot and or bell)
    jalepeno, minced
    garlic paste
    salt to taste
    onion, diced

Cook about 20-25 min, if gonna be eatin fast, just put in tuperware, other wise can

We also make a killer mango salsa! This one MUST BE fresh tho, no canning. and of course tehre's always tamitillo salsa (salsa verde) just sub tamitillos for tomatoes
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

2 tomatoes, small dice
    1 sweet onion, small dice
    1 jalepeno, take out seeds and ribs (unless you want it hot!) minced
    garlic clove, turned to paste (either use a microplane or grind it with kosher salt)
    1/2 to 1 bunch cilantro, chopped or ripped
    1/2 - 1 lime juiced
    salt to taste

For cooked salsa
    diced tomatoes
    diced peppers (hot and or bell)
    jalepeno, minced
    garlic paste
    salt to taste
    onion, diced

Cook about 20-25 min, if gonna be eatin fast, just put in tuperware, other wise can

We also make a killer mango salsa! This one MUST BE fresh tho, no canning. and of course tehre's always tamitillo salsa (salsa verde) just sub tamitillos for tomatoes
    AWESOME!! Thanks so much:drinker: :wink:
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Wasa crispbread is a good alternative to tortilla chips. You can do more with them too -- layer your salsa on top of one with a bit of shredded cheese and nuke it for a few seconds in the microwave. You now have a little mini salsa pizza snack!
  • princessmedic
    Options
    I use about the same recipe as someone else posted...for this batch I made a BIG bowl:

7 tomatoes, diced
    6 jalapenos, diced (seeds removed)(they were totally not hot, so use whatever is good to your tastes)
    2T cilantro chopped
    1 onion, diced
    lemon juice squirted over the top
    garlic, salt, and season salt

To make it more chunky-Pico de Gallo, you just dice it all up and refridgerate it. To make it more salsa like put it in the blender, but it will have a brownish red color, but its still great!
  • lambocj
    lambocj Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love salsa!! I eat it everyday with lunch and/or supper and sometimes just as a snack....I just eat it by itself with a spoon...low calorie snack that is yummy! I make mine from whole canned tomatoes...put in blender for few seconds then pour in bowl and add salsa seasoning pkg that I get from Walmart...stir and refrigerate. Yummy Yummy!!:bigsmile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I love salsa!! I eat it everyday with lunch and/or supper and sometimes just as a snack....I just eat it by itself with a spoon...low calorie snack that is yummy! I make mine from whole canned tomatoes...put in blender for few seconds then pour in bowl and add salsa seasoning pkg that I get from Walmart...stir and refrigerate. Yummy Yummy!!:bigsmile:
    That's all there is to it? WOW, so you just add the tomatoes and the seasoning and whirl it in the blender and POOF, instant salsa?

Awesome, I always thought it was way more complicated that the ideas I've gotten on this thread. lol I might be thinking of the canning process?

• HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I use about the same recipe as someone else posted...for this batch I made a BIG bowl:

7 tomatoes, diced
    6 jalapenos, diced (seeds removed)(they were totally not hot, so use whatever is good to your tastes)
    2T cilantro chopped
    1 onion, diced
    lemon juice squirted over the top
    garlic, salt, and season salt

To make it more chunky-Pico de Gallo, you just dice it all up and refridgerate it. To make it more salsa like put it in the blender, but it will have a brownish red color, but its still great!
    :drinker: :wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    :drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Official Salsa Bump:love:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Ok, so I have a bunch of maters I gotta use up tomorrow, need to get some jalepeno's and what about this garlic paste deal? I have a garlic in the cupboard? No clue how to make paste (garlic paste that is. lol)

Help with that? Or an alternative? Chopped garlic clove??

Why would I cook Salsa vs. not cook it, one yummier than the other? Be nice please:blushing: , I've only eaten jar Salsa, so if my questions sound naive. lol I am pretty naive about making Salsa since I haven't ever done it yet. :)

I'll have about 6-7 med sized tomatoes for making it....... beyond that, I could use some help :):)

Thanks!!:wink::tongue:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Ok, so I have a bunch of maters I gotta use up tomorrow, need to get some jalepeno's and what about this garlic paste deal? I have a garlic in the cupboard? No clue how to make paste (garlic paste that is. lol)

Help with that? Or an alternative? Chopped garlic clove??

Why would I cook Salsa vs. not cook it, one yummier than the other? Be nice please:blushing: , I've only eaten jar Salsa, so if my questions sound naive. lol I am pretty naive about making Salsa since I haven't ever done it yet. :)

I'll have about 6-7 med sized tomatoes for making it....... beyond that, I could use some help :):)

Thanks!!:wink::tongue:

Garlic paste = minched garlic + salt (either in pestle and mortor or if you have a chefs knife use more of the tip part on it's side and rub it) just mash it into a paste.

I only cook my salsa if I'm going to can it, just put all ingredients together and cook unti lthickened. There's your better version of jarred salsa. Uncooked is "fresh salsa" or pico de gallo.. LOVE IT! lol, ok I love both..

As for ratios, just play with it. I like lots of onion in my salsa so I do almost 1/2 and 1/2 for tomato to onion, others like more spicy.. my hubs could have all cilantro if it was his way.
  • mrstullier09
    Options
    Can someone give me the recipe to make fresh salsa?
  • tjislovinglife
    tjislovinglife Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Jessica how do you make the mango salsa