Visions of sugarplums...

Options
Okay, so I'm not having visions of sugarplums...I'm more of a salty food girl...but I sure am having visions of fat laden chinese food, cholesterol filled pizza, salt saturated potato chips, and full fat sour cream and butter topped baked potatoes with a big, juicy, fattening steak on the side. Ugh. I've been doing a pretty good job sticking to my calorie range, but I'm getting really nervous that my willpower is going to start to wane with all of the Christmas parties and tempting foods coming up! Now, I'm not going to give up the wine at the Christmas parties...I REFUSE...but the food...when I avoid it, I just keep thinking about it once I'm gone then I'm so ready to just give in and eat it behind closed doors! Nobody will know, right?! Okay, I will... I'm also going home to see my family for a week at Christmas. How on EARTH am I supposed to keep track there?! Between making cookies and candies with my nephews and nieces and having two prime rib dinners to go to on Christmas day (oh, and to one of them I'm supposed to bring my chocolate cake slathered in chocolate cream cheese frosting), it's going to be really hard to even MAINTAIN my weight!

I'm just getting my fears out there about falling off the wagon hard soon. I hope my willpower outlasts my cravings! (I CAN DO THIS! I CAN DO THIS! I CAN DO THIS!)

Anyone else having trouble?

Replies

• kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm not having visions of sugarplums...I'm more of a salty food girl...but I sure am having visions of fat laden chinese food, cholesterol filled pizza, salt saturated potato chips, and full fat sour cream and butter topped baked potatoes with a big, juicy, fattening steak on the side. Ugh. I've been doing a pretty good job sticking to my calorie range, but I'm getting really nervous that my willpower is going to start to wane with all of the Christmas parties and tempting foods coming up! Now, I'm not going to give up the wine at the Christmas parties...I REFUSE...but the food...when I avoid it, I just keep thinking about it once I'm gone then I'm so ready to just give in and eat it behind closed doors! Nobody will know, right?! Okay, I will... I'm also going home to see my family for a week at Christmas. How on EARTH am I supposed to keep track there?! Between making cookies and candies with my nephews and nieces and having two prime rib dinners to go to on Christmas day (oh, and to one of them I'm supposed to bring my chocolate cake slathered in chocolate cream cheese frosting), it's going to be really hard to even MAINTAIN my weight!

I'm just getting my fears out there about falling off the wagon hard soon. I hope my willpower outlasts my cravings! (I CAN DO THIS! I CAN DO THIS! I CAN DO THIS!)

Anyone else having trouble?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    One book I checked out from the library said, "if you exercise for the same amount of time as you eat, you'll be fine"

While I don't agree with that, since I can shovel down the food, linking up exercise to food intake, like this site does, is beneficial.
    Give yourself permission to eat_____ (pizza, chocolates, prime rib), if beforehand you do_____(something you're not crazy about doing but should do, say run a mile, weights, whatever you should do but don't).

I'm always making deals with myself. The important part is the "beforehand". You don't get the reward without the work. If you really want it, you'll do the work.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Wow Kristie, you're a girl after my own heart!! Those are some of my favorites also. What has been working for me is to have some of them, once in awhile and really watching portion control. I am very careful for a few days and then have a piece ( just one) of pizza. My stomach has really shrunk and if I eat the one slice very slowly I am full and satisfied. I dont tell myself and can never have those things I just say - be really good for the next three days and them you can go out to dinner- by the time the three days have gone by I have been so good and feel very happy with myself. I still go out and order pretty much what I want but only eat a small portion. I have been consistently losing 2 pounds per week for the last 11 weeks and I have had: pizza, wine, mexican food (several times!), pasta. For chips I have been getting these organic blue corn tortilla chips that are baked. I think you can have 18 chips for 120 calories - they are my special treat a couple times week if I am under my calories for the day.

Dont try to be perfect and deprive yourself!!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I just need the willpower to stick to the small portions on bad things. Went to a salad bar buffet the other day and, besides the small portion of chocolate lava cake, I did pretty well. It's pretty impossible to count calories at a buffet, so I just made sure to have a lot of leftover calories. Working out helped. I had 800 to "spend." :)

I live alone so it's hard to order a pizza and only eat one slice with a healthy salad. I've discovered, though, that if you wrap your leftovers in foil and freeze them, you can heat up just one slice at a time in the oven! It's a great way to stash it and if I really want it, I have to wait about 30 minutes for the oven to heat up and warm the pizza! The microwave will make it mushy. :)
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The "Work for Reward" program sounds like a good idea. I have never been a sweets person, but these days I crave chocolate chip cookies, pie... When at someone's place for dinner, I've even eaten cheesecake, which I don't even like! I guess that's what deprivation is doing to me. :ohwell:

I'm a little concerned about the holidays. I've resigned myself to be as good as possible but to not fret too much if I do manage to gain a couple. I'll do my best. We all will, right?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Kristie-girl,

How did you get so smart being so young ? (you already spilled your age to me, rememeber??) The whole "Living Alone" no one will know thing.....That is one of my problems. I just turned down an offer for one party that is a guaranteed food festival (it is every year!) and I just don't feel like dealing with it. On that day I am going to do something fun or good for me to make up for it.

And I would SOOO love to have some garlic bread right now.......We are all in this together!!! It is hard, but we CAN do it.

~Cheryl
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Food for thought...

I could eat 1.2 pounds of brownies per day and gain 2 or 3 pounds per week.

I can eat 2.8 pounds of healthy food per day and lose 2 pounds per week.

Interesting. I think I'd be sick eating that many brownies anyway.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hey Razboo,
    I like what you just said. I'm going to keep that in mind. Thanks :wink:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I've been using someone's (please help me remember who said it) mantra, nothing tastes as good as thin feels. But I'm not going to stress about the eating part of Christmas, the rest has me stressed enough. I just plan to eat slowly and savor the portion I give myself and be content that I ate it. I didn't put all my weight on at once and it certainly isn't going to come off all at once. We don't do alot of parties at Christmas, we are kind of homebodies. I have one party on the 22 and then I have Christmas day. Yesterday I made Peppermint Bark Candy and if you think I didn't sample some your crazy. But I wasn't craving it either. I really like getting on the scale and seeing a new lower number show up. What I don't like is trying to keep clothes. I bought 2 new pair of pants at Thanksgiving and now they are not fitting so well, I never thought I would say shopping is a drag but I just don't have alot of money to spend on clothes so I really would just like to be done losing and be in a maintenance program. Thanks for letting me rant guys, gotta go been up since 4 am est and it is 8 pm. Goodnight.