Run or Dye with a 2 year old?

Options
Kpablo
Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
I've been contemplating for the last few months whether I should bring my two year old daughter for the fun run: Run or Dye. It's only a 5k, which we do on a weekly basis together. Of course, she'll be in a stroller. However it's not a jogging stroller, just a regular one but it's a pretty good one. Like I said, we do 3 miles weekly. I'm worried she won't do well with the crowd. However I think she might love it. She's very friendly, happy and loves people even strangers. I think she'll like all the colors and being dyed though and she'll enjoy the music after.

I'm really on the fence to bring her or not.

Has anyone brought their toddler to a fun run like Run or Dye? What was your experience?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Run or Dye, but I did Color in Motion - and they're all pretty much the same thing.

There were lots and lots of kids at Color in Motion. They don't time the race and most people walk. There were barely any people actually running at the 5k I did. They also released people in waves to help cut down on the crowds at the color stations.

I would say go for it. I'm sure she will have a good time! Maybe take her out in a few "busier" places between now and then to get her used to the crowds?

Edit to add that all the color came right out of everything I was wearing. As long as you don't mind the potential for a few colored spots, you shouldn't have an issue with getting rid of most of it after the race. I even soaked my shirt in vinegar (like they suggest) to help keep the color in and it still came out :(
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Admittedly I have not run one of these kinds of races, however I'd be very reluctant to bring my son to one when he was stroller age. I did push him for a few Xmas 5Ks once he was 3, and again when he was 4 but it's always a challenge.

My son wanted to get out all the time and I know he wouldn't have liked all the paint and stuff being splatted around (nor would I have wanted that on my stroller).
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I did Run of Dye a few weeks ago and it was super fun! There were tons of kids and quite a few in strollers and they weren't all running strollers. A few people even had double wides. Everyone had a great time and I bet that since she loves people she'd have a blast.
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first Run or Dye in August and I am stoked! I think if your child can handle it, bring them, however I would be worried about getting any of the colored powder in their eyes, nose or mouth. As an adult I know to hold my breath when running through a dye station, do you think your child can master that? I know it isn't harmful, as in toxic, but inhaling powder can be dangerous.
  • Kpablo
    Options
    I signed up for my first Run or Dye in August and I am stoked! I think if your child can handle it, bring them, however I would be worried about getting any of the colored powder in their eyes, nose or mouth. As an adult I know to hold my breath when running through a dye station, do you think your child can master that? I know it isn't harmful, as in toxic, but inhaling powder can be dangerous.

Hmmm good point...maybe I can put a bandana around her nose and mouth through the run stations. She's pretty smart, she'll know to close her eyes and mouth when I tell her.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    We did the audio system for the one in Reno NV last weekend. I heard the sound was great. Maybe some goggles or glasses & can you put some kind of cover over the top of the stroller?? Have fun.:happy:
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've done the color run. I would encourage you to have her wear sunglasses (if she will leave them on lol) or goggles to keep it out of her eyes. There were lots of kiddos (and pets too) at the color run.
  • Kpablo
    Options
    WOOHOO! Thanks for all the replies!! I think I'll get her swimming goggles (LOL - that should be hilarious) and a bandana to put on her face! YEAHHHH! I'm pumped for all of us now.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I have done the color me rad (same thing I am guessing) with my son the past two years, however he ran (last year he was 5 and this year 6) but last year I had him wear goggles this year sunglasses. I would highly suggest sunglasses or goggles...for a toddler (if she will leave them on) I would say goggles...There are a ton of kids at these races, strollers, walking, running! I think it is a great event for kids! I would recommend anyone to take their kids!