Options
kayemme
kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
1 cup dry black beans
1 onion
2tbs butter
3 big cloves of garlic (optional)
seasonings of your choice, i like:
cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne powder, red chili flakes, etc)

follow the directions for quick beans on the back of the bag
tip: once the beans come to a boil, reduce heat and cover. this will save on your gas bill.

once beans are cooked, drain.
chop/mince garlic and onion
add butter to heavy skillet, add garlic and onion
add beans, and a little water
mash
season
add water as necessary.

Replies

• heatypablo
    heatypablo Posts: 221
    Options
    Ironic that you just posted this! I was reviewing my food log for today and was shocked at the amount of sodium the canned re-fried beans I ate had!!

I'm definitely going to try this, thanks for posting! :)
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'm a big bean fan, unfortunate for my husband though...whatever!!!! They're good for us!
  • kayemme
    Options
    we have a butt trumpet orchestra. just a part of life, i guess. good thing we're not overly social people: between the garlic and the gas, it's sometimes a bit unpleasant. ....... for everyone.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I have found when I make chili, if I use pinto beans instead of black beans, the "side effects" are much less noticeable. Wonder if it would be worth a try to substitute pintos for the black beans in your recipe? Just a thought.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    butt trumpet orchestra is the best phrase I have ever heard used on this website to describe anything. thank you kayemme. this also sounds delicious.
  • mekhala
    mekhala Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    that is the best name for farting i have heard, will definatly be using that one!! thanks!!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I love black refried beans and garlic, thanks for sharing.:flowerforyou:
  • kayemme
    Options
    For what it's worth, I have found when I make chili, if I use pinto beans instead of black beans, the "side effects" are much less noticeable. Wonder if it would be worth a try to substitute pintos for the black beans in your recipe? Just a thought.

you can use any bean you like at all. i just like black beans. i've done it with pintos, too... still delicious.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    this sounds yummy! just a little side note...if you soak your dry beans overnight then drain and use fresh water to cook in it will save A LOT on the gas. Something about soaking them reduces the gassy side effects on our bodies.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    this sounds yummy! just a little side note...if you soak your dry beans overnight then drain and use fresh water to cook in it will save A LOT on the gas. Something about soaking them reduces the gassy side effects on our bodies.

Very true! My granny always added a pinch of baking soda to the soaking water... not sure if that REALLY does anything, but who am I to mess with how granny did it? :laugh:

I always save some of the bean cooking water to use to loosen mine up a bit. I saute my onion and garlic in EVOO and sometimes add a little fresh jalapeno to that. I also add some cumin and chili powder (just a tad).
    mmmmm makes me want some now!!
  • kayemme
    Options

I sometimes do the overnight soak, but unfortunately I'm not that organized... well, sometimes I am, but not usually.

Last night I saw some carrots in the back of the fridge and thought "Hey, I should make Hummus" and so I soaked the beans, but I normally totally forget. :) And so it is.

Very true! My granny always added a pinch of baking soda to the soaking water... not sure if that REALLY does anything, but who am I to mess with how granny did it? :laugh:

I always save some of the bean cooking water to use to loosen mine up a bit. I saute my onion and garlic in EVOO and sometimes add a little fresh jalapeno to that. I also add some cumin and chili powder (just a tad).
    mmmmm makes me want some now!!

I've heard about the baking soda trick! I don't really mind the tooting as we're usually at home, and so it's just us. Also, I have this feeling that it totally clears you out. I just like the beans for all the fiber... the next day i just feel clean and amazing.
  • kayemme
    Options
    butt trumpet orchestra is the best phrase I have ever heard used on this website to describe anything. thank you kayemme. this also sounds delicious.

hahah... we got a million of 'em
  • MamaCasell
    Options
    Bump!
  • chelleim
    chelleim Posts: 78
    Options
    Always looking for new ways to get more beans in my diet!
  • stringcheeze
    Options

The baked bean recipe I have (uses navy beans) calls for baking soda for the soak water too. Not only does it help reduce the one downside to eating beans, but it also seems to make the beans more tender.
  • clipsychic
    Options
    Yummy!!! I think I should create Mexican night tonight just to try it!
  • kayemme
    Options
    i made these again last weekend and tonight - still delicious, every time!

but this time i made the full meal... and i think a 460 calorie dinner (that was this delicious and satiating) kicks total *kitten*.

keri's home made refried black beans, 0.5 serving(s) 96 13 3 4 187 4 Ico_delete
    Generic - Homemade Spanish Rice, 0.5 cup cooked 110 21 2 2 268 3 Ico_delete
    pepper cups , 1 serving(s) 177 3 12 0 0 11 Ico_delete
    keri's ranchero sauce, 1 serving(s) 77 12 3 2 82 2

Pepper cups are cherry bomb peppers, with a small cube of cheese and a tiny bit of egg/flour mixture spooned into them. it's like a chile relleno except baked and bite sized. stupid good. I just guessed on someone else's spanish rice. I don't use butter or anything in my rice, so it's probably even less than this, but it's still a good number. everything else is my own recipe that i built in the recipe index.

tomorrow? huevos rancheros over the leftover beans. i almost can't wait.