Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Glucosamine

glorivas
glorivas Posts: 10 Member
I have been experiencing pain on my knees. I heard that taking Glucosamine supplements would help a great deal.

Has anyone given this a try? Did your condition improve?

Replies

• ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    I used to have really bad pain in my shoulder joints when i first started lifting..i started supplementing with MSM (Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane) everyday and now the pain is completely gone.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    I am currently using glucosamine/condroiten combo i get at walmart. My knees have improved greatly after taking if for 2 months now. i may ache at times but its not the PAIN i was in all the time
  • Power_Man77
    Power_Man77 Posts: 207
    I have a friend who took it and said it improved his knee pain. I been meaning to pick some up myself, be happy to let ya know.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    I have been taking Glucosamine for about 10 years after it was recommended by a doctor who specialized in arthritis. If I don't take it for about a week the pain comes back. Originally I had to take it for almost 6 months before I saw some results.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    I have been taking Glucosamine for about 10 years after it was recommended by a doctor who specialized in arthritis. If I don't take it for about a week the pain comes back. Originally I had to take it for almost 6 months before I saw some results.

This is exactly how glucosamine/msm/chondroitin works. you have to take it as a pre-emptive supplement and over a long long span of time. it does absolutely nothing if you're already injured. but taking it over extended periods with great consistence will lessen the chance for you to get injuries, and in some cases help you deal with chronic injuries. But don't expect to start a Glucosamine regimen this week and feel better by next.
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Glucosamine and Cod liver oil - especially in the damp months (which in the UK is getting to be every month).
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    It probably makes sense to check with a doc first to see what might be causing the pain, but if it's osteoarthritis then there seems to be evidence that glucosamine + chondroitin can help.

I've been using a glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM supplement & it does seem to help, but it's certainly not a cure-all... I'm sure that, for me at least, paying close attention to my running & lifting mechanics, and making sure I've got good running shoes is at least as important, but -- after a using it for a good while -- the supplement does seem to have done away with the minor aches & pains that cropped up without it.
  • glorivas
    Thank you for the advise, you are right, I should check with my doctor first. The pain is not overwhelming but it should definitely be addressed.

On a different note, what a great achiever you are...WOW, 84 lbs lost! Pat yourself on the back for your hard work and dedication!! /g
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    It it's a preventative supplement. So..if you already have problems, starting a glucosamine regimen wouldnt be a bad decision, though it will do absolutely nothing in the short term. It's not really something you take to "cure" pain at least acutely. More like, take it for months and months and the benefits sort of manifest in stronger overall joint function. If you suffer from tendonitis, arthritic joints, simply taking a Gluc pill will do almost nothing for you.
  • glorivas
    Thank you all for your feedback and great advise. :smile:
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Hey! I used to take this too, and it helped a lot. But dropping my weight really helped also. It all works together. Good luck!
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    I take glucosamine powder every day & twice a day on heavy lifting days. The days I forget to take it, I'm really feeling sore.
  • glorivas
    Thank you all for your feedback and great advice. :smile: