Help me, snacks

Options
Countine calories is new to me. I lost 30 lbs on weight watches. I feel like I can't eat a thing counting calories.

What do you do for snacks? lunches, or breakfast. I would love some recommendations. This is so new. Even grapes have calories, they were my go to, OMG want a candy bar substitute food.

Replies

• AmyLynn4321
    AmyLynn4321 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    give it some time - it'll become easy in no time at all. Fruits and veggies are obviously good snack items. I also keep a basket of 100 calorie snacks at home and pack a couple each day. I've found 100 calorie packs of nuts too - they are small but go a long way.
    Yogurt is a good breakfast - and is more filling when you add fresh fruit or granola (I use the special K and just use like half a serving to add to a small thing of yogurt).
    I love the Jello sugar free pudding cups as a dessert or snack.
    Good luck!
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I find it hard to find enough good things to eat to meet my calorie requirements since veggies are so naturally low.

Cheese, fruit, whole grains, nuts, yogurt, eggs all have moderate calorie counts. Boost those with lots of high fiber veggies -- all of that fiber will help you to feel full and it'll seem like you're eating quite a lot.
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I love raw almonds, laughing cow cheese, fruit, veggies, Special K bars (strawberry), Kashi cereal, hard boiled eggs. Try to find snacks you like high in protein because they will keep you full longer. I usually have Pita Chips or Low fat Ritz crackers with my laughing cow cheese. Some people don't like eating the Pita Chips because they are not that low in calories, but I never eat the whole amount and use just enough to eat the Laughing Cow. Hope that helps!!!
  • dawnsant
    dawnsant Posts: 44
    Options
    Try a Cliff bar. I eat the peanut butter ones. They are awesome and not too bad for you. Lots of protein. Just don't get the energy ones. Get the one that is kinda flat.
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    A cool protein snack is roasted garbanzo beans with spice for a little kick :)

Ingredients
    1 (12 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained 2 tablespoons olive oil salt (optional) garlic salt (optional) cayenne pepper (optional)
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).

Blot chickpeas with a paper towel to dry them. In a bowl, toss chickpeas with olive oil, and season to taste with salt, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper, if using. Spread on a baking sheet, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until browned and crunchy. Watch carefully the last few minutes to avoid burning.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Chickpeas/Detail.aspx
  • Pinky_Calhoun
    Pinky_Calhoun Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    100 Calorie: Crackers, Cookies, Nuts, Chips & Cheeses
    Triscuit Thins and a hard boiled egg or hummus
    Frosted Mini Wheats Maple Brown Sugar
    Ezekiel Bread & Sargento Muenster Cheese (cheese toast)
    Nature's Valley Granola Thins
  • karot32
    karot32 Posts: 46
    Options
    For when I'm getting hungry but it's not time for the next meal, I have a 100 calorie bag of popcorn. They have them in regular popcorn and kettle corn (my personal fave). They are great because it seems like you get a whole bunch of popcorn that will fill you up more than one of those tiny bags of 100 calorie cookies or something. I also like Sugar-Free Jello (10 calories) and Sugar free pudding (60 calories) to satisfy my sweet tooth at night :)

Good luck! I was on weight watchers for awhile and I switched to this. I find this to be so much more accurate because on WW I was eating so many "zero point" foods that it was adding up to points but I wasn't counting them!
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I just saw a dietician because my choleterol is naturally high (thanks to my mom and grandma) High in fiber is the best way to go as it is very filling. Snacking has been my biggest issue! here are my tips:

*I actually put myself on a strict schedule. So I have my 3 meals, but then I schedule a snack for between lunch and dinner and then dinner and bed. This way when I feel like snacking I delay myself because I know I will get a treat in a little bit. Plus it's caused me to eat less at meals. (Not pigging out like I used to)

*kellogs nutrigrain waffles. They taste just like regular eggo waffles and make a nice sustaining treat for me.

*Yoplait light. The dietician said to avoid regular yoplait because of the amounts of sugar. Unless you go for plain and then mix in fruits.

*fruits and veggies as best, they have good sugars that don't cause a crash. The candy bar type sugars will cause a high, but then will cause your body to crash making it very hungry faster.

*beverages are the easiest type of calories to cut out. Milk should be used in small amounts. Use other dairies to get your calcium. Fruit juices are just as bad as pop as far as sugar content. So instead of OJ in the morning I now have a fresh orange. A quarter of the sugar and about twice as much fiber.

Hope these tips help!!!
  • cynmarty
    Options
    I thought grapes were ok, but was surprised at how many calories they have. Instead I snack on cantaloupe, raw sliced zuchinni (its very filling), strawberries, carrots and diet soda. A medium size peach only has 40 calories! Hope this helps. Hang in there, change is most difficult in the beginning!
  • Jamie_V
    Jamie_V Posts: 26
    Options
    Baby carrots with hummus--gives you crunch and protein.
    Apples with peanut butter or almond butter (nut butters are high-calorie, so use sparingly, but great for the sweet tooth!)
    Raspberries with just a teeny drizzle of chocolate syrup, or with Laughing Cow cheese wedge (raspberries have TONS of fiber)
    String cheese, goes great with any kind of fruit

If it's an ice cream craving, the Skinny Cow products are surprisingly good--I recommend the round ice cream sandwich kind--yum!
    Vitamuffins, if your store carries them (look in the section where they have things like frozen organic waffles and stuff), are 100 calories, have something like 2 grams of fat and 9 grams of fiber. The chocolate ones are the BOMB!

Hope this helps, best of luck! :bigsmile:
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow! I totally forgot to mention that! The dietitian I saw even recommended them for your sweet tooth! I have one at the end of each day as a reward for eating well. Yummy! Good idea!