Oh crap! I think im becoming a Vegan!!

Options

Replies

• Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have been cutting down and almost out most meats... and I do feel better....I agree with what was said above... we don't have to "be" anything... but if it makes us feel better...that is wonderful.

Less meat seems to be working for me....so that's my direction!! :happy:

Pamela June
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ProteinCompare.jpg

well whey is at like 11 for leucine

And how much leucine do you need for muscle protein synthesis?

No-one is saying that dairy or meat does not give a better profile - just that you can get enough EAAs through a vegan diet.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I think pea and rice protein are very high in leucine
    EDit: missed that it said nutribiotic rice lol
  • DatMurse
    Options
    ProteinCompare.jpg

well whey is at like 11 for leucine

And how much leucine do you need for muscle protein synthesis?

No-one is saying that dairy or meat does not give a better profile - just that you can get enough EAAs through a vegan diet.

They are talking more about optimal with leucine bolus now for muscle retention. It is still being studied and has yet to be confirmed on human subjects
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I went vegan 3 1/2 years ago to lower my cholesterol and lose weight. My surprising bonus was that my stomach no longer hurt. I thought belly pain meant your food was digesting. I lived my whole live with chronic stomach pain and never knew it wasn't normal. Now I am pain-free and happily vegan.

Congratulations on your lifestyle changes. Every little bit helps!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would, but within the last few weeks I started cutting way down on my meat / fish / poultry. I got to the point of going 3 - 4 days. Now I have started cutting out dairy this week, and actually I feel better than I have in quite a while!

My BP usually runs around 140/95 most of the time even with the meds I take, today I checked it - 111/65! I don't think I have ever seen my numbers that low, and of course I am losing weight too so cool.

So maybe I should really take up the Vegan thing?? Any thoughts?

I think you mean vegetarian.

vegetarian is the diet. vegan is the lifestyle (ie no leather, cosmetics, etc ... )
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I find myself kind of drifting towards vegetarian. I just had meat today for the first time in 2 weeks and my stomach is not happy!!
    I feel better when I don't eat meat...I wouldn't consider myself a vegetarian though because if I ever do get the craving for meat (which has pretty much gone away) I'll eat it.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 42 years and a vegan for 2. "Protein" is a blanket term that is usually overused and misunderstood. What every vegetarian needs to understand are Amino Acids. You must know which foods, and which combinations of foods, have complete amino acid profiles. Vegetarians need to focus not so much on the quantity of the protein, but the quality of it, which is why a vegetarian diet should be extremely varied with a rotation of amino-acid rich foods.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would, but within the last few weeks I started cutting way down on my meat / fish / poultry. I got to the point of going 3 - 4 days. Now I have started cutting out dairy this week, and actually I feel better than I have in quite a while!

My BP usually runs around 140/95 most of the time even with the meds I take, today I checked it - 111/65! I don't think I have ever seen my numbers that low, and of course I am losing weight too so cool.

vegetarian is the diet. vegan is the lifestyle (ie no leather, cosmetics, etc ... )

No. Vegetarian means no meat (seafood & poultry included guys) vegan means no dairy OR meat. SOME vegans go beyond that and do NO animal products at all (honey, leather etc).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    But is the quality of protein in beans etc. equal to animal product protein? Is it as absorbable?

I'm asking only out of curiosity since I have given up on eating red meat since last year and I'm not a fan of fish either.

You need to make sure that you get your proteins from a variety of sources to ensure a complete amino acid profile, but if you do, it is fine.

Some vegan complete proteins are nutritional yeast and hemp seeds.

^Exactly! And, it's not necessary that you combined all those in one meal. The combination can be done over the course of the day through all your meals.
    well its not even just protein or the complete amino profile. How much of the EAAs are in there? There really aren't that much.

There actually are in some - specially if you combine correctly. However, it is harder to do, especially when on a calorie restriction.

If you look at many, they are only 'lacking' in one of the EAAs to make them complete.

but how much?
    its like saying there is fat in X. it only has .5g of fat

I am not going to go through every single plant based protein source. However, lets take one example.

Soybeans. They would be complete except for Methionine and Cycteine.

You need 42mg/kg/day of leucine per the RDA (which I admit probably understates optimal requirement, but for the sake of math I am going with it). So for a 150lb person, that would be 2,863mg.

Soybeans have 0.57g in 1 cup (97g). So you would need 5 cups = 487g = 395 calories. Not bad, even if you double it to account for the RDA being too low.

I am using soybeans as an example - there are many plant based sources that have more.

To make up for the methionine and cycteine, you can have oats and broccoli in your diet.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    But is the quality of protein in beans etc. equal to animal product protein? Is it as absorbable?

I'm asking only out of curiosity since I have given up on eating red meat since last year and I'm not a fan of fish either.

You need to make sure that you get your proteins from a variety of sources to ensure a complete amino acid profile, but if you do, it is fine.

^Exactly! And, it's not necessary that you combined all those in one meal. The combination can be done over the course of the day through all your meals.
    well its not even just protein or the complete amino profile. How much of the EAAs are in there? There really aren't that much.

There actually are in some - specially if you combine correctly. However, it is harder to do, especially when on a calorie restriction.

If you look at many, they are only 'lacking' in one of the EAAs to make them complete.

but how much?

I am not going to go through every single plant based protein source. However, lets take one example.

You need 42mg/kg/day of leucine per the RDA (which I admit probably understates optimal requirement, but for the sake of math I am going with it). So for a 150lb person, that would be 2,863mg.

Soybeans have 0.57g in 1 cup (97g). So you would need 5 cups = 487g = 395 calories. Not bad, even if you double it to account for the RDA being too low.

I am using soybeans as an example - there are many plant based sources that have more.

To make up for the methionine and cycteine, you can have oats and broccoli in your diet.

Yea you are right. I keep forgetting this is not a bodybuilding forum tbh.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

but how much?

Sorry, you lost me on that one =)

ETA: to be clear, while I am a vegetarian, I do not advocate being a vegan or vegetarian for health or body composition reasons. Animal based proteins *are* better from the perspective of amino acid profiles and 'protein bang for your calorie buck'.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Just to let you know there is something between meat eater and vegan. IT's called vegetarian. Might wanna try that first, cause I've been it, and I can tell you first hand, it's not for chumps. You have to mean it. A few weeks isn't really long enough to know if you can do it. Do it right too when you decide and look online for info so you get enough of everything you need. It's not just as simple as cutting out things, you have to know what to add in to get all your macro's met.
  • DatMurse
    Options

but how much?

I think I accidentally deleted the rest of it.

Leucine wouldn't be as big of a factor for the average person on a forum such as this. On a bodybuilding forum they focus more on the amino acid complex to optimize muscle building and retention of higher than average muscle.

Layne talks about maximization of MPS with leucine and I know it is still controversial.
    he talked about 3g per meal which is not needed for the average person.

Since this isn't a full out bodybuilding forum it isn't necessary for the normal person to focus on such a thing.
    http://agro-food-industry.teknoscienze.com/pdf/norton_AF2_09.PDF
  • AndreannaTamira
    Options
    P.S. I never have to worry about getting enough protein or iron. I get PLENTY of that without trying! I do take a multivitamin that has B12, and I also use Nutritional Yeast in my cooking sometimes. I keep an eye on my calcium, but that hasn't really been a problem and I don't need to take a supplement on a regular basis.

How do you do it? The iron, that is. I am really trying, but am nearly always low. Protein is simple for me, calcium relatively easy, but iron? Nope!

Spirulina is an excellent source of iron. and protein. you can buy it in tablets

Thank you! This is one thing I have not tried yet.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

No. Vegetarian means no meat (seafood & poultry included guys) vegan means no dairy OR meat. SOME vegans go beyond that and do NO animal products at all (honey, leather etc).
    Yeah that's why I stopped at vegetarian and didn't go full vegan. I already knew I was gonna miss grandma's leather sandwiches on picnic's and school field trips.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I tried it for 6 months and I liked it, but never felt noticably better or lost any weight because of it (unlike the young lady in the office next to mine who became all willowy as a vegan). I actually gained several pounds, somehow, which was discouraging.... But it did kinda change my perception of ordinary ol' vegetarians, as in "You eat eggs and cheese and think you're not eating meat?" Animal products are, ahem, the PRODUCTS of ANIMALS.

But then my son came back from school and he's a meat-eater, so.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Oh crap is right. 500cc's of ribeye, stat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

but how much?

I think I accidentally deleted the rest of it.

Leucine wouldn't be as big of a factor for the average person on a forum such as this. On a bodybuilding forum they focus more on the amino acid complex to optimize muscle building and retention of higher than average muscle.

Layne talks about maximization of MPS with leucine and I know it is still controversial.
    he talked about 3g per meal which is not attainable for the average person.

Since this isn't a full out bodybuilding forum it isn't necessary for the normal person to focus on such a thing.
    http://agro-food-industry.teknoscienze.com/pdf/norton_AF2_09.PDF

That 3g rings a bell. How could you not get that based on the math I just did? Obviously, it will be much harder, especially at a deficit, but it is do-able. However, as you say, it's less relevant for the more recreational lifter/dieter.