Who has benefited from a personal trainer?

Options
meggwtw
meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
I'm considering signing up for personal training at the gym. I'm not a fan of exercising, and usually I just hop on the cardio machines because I don't want to look like an idiot (mis)using the equipment or lifting improperly, but I know lifting is important to get the body of my *dreams,* haha. So I'm curious - who's done personal training, and how did it help you? Thanks

Replies

• ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Meg, if that's your name, I can tell you that it's always about the person you get. But, if I can be honest, most trainers are going to tell you do "roughly" the same thing. There are no "secrets" to weight loss. I can promise you that. There are two ways to do it. Eat less than your BMR (this is the slower way). And eat less than your BMR and exercise regularly (this will get it done faster). Struggling with weight isn't the issue for 99% of the people trying to lose weight. Self Control is the issue. Once you eat less than you burn and exercise regularly, if you're not losing weight, then you truly do have a weight issue and should see a doctor. Save your money on a trainer because if you're not willing to get your will power under control, you're throwing money away. Maybe you have it, but do what you think you need to.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last poster about self control, but if you don't know what to do with the weights and the machines, maybe buying a small package and just using them once a week to help you develop a plan and learn how to use the machines would be beneficial. Then you can decide from there if its worth buying a bigger package.
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed working with a personal trainer to how me how to use the equipment properly and help me incorporate new exercises into my routine. And they can be a great source of motivation. Sometimes taking the thinking and planning out of exercise is quite helpful and can make you just get things done.

I did get injured working with a personal trainer, but I still don't fault her for that as I had some risk factors even I didn't know about.

I agree that they aren't "magic" but they can be a great tool. So I disagree with the above poster.
  • debhol13
    debhol13 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a personal trainer who pushes me 3 times a week. I know all the exercises now, I know the correct form, I know what I should be doing; but leave it to myself to get it done and it won't happen. My trainer is the reason I am in the best shape physically I have been in a long time. If only she could be there every time my self control over food was failing...
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    When I was first getting back into exercising after 2 serious car accidents, I was not motivated so I knew that if I was paying a lot of money to someone, that would at least get me to the gym. I knew that once I got there, I would realize that I should probably do something. However, it was hard finding a good trainer. Some wanted to preach their own skewed beliefs or push the EXACT thing they were doing for themselves. Many didn't even give a hoot that my back was completely messed up and my neck and shoulders were messed up too.

HOWEVER, when I finally found a good trainer, oh man was it awesome. He helped me a lot, gave me workouts that really re-built me. Totally worth it...had signed up for 3 months, stuck with him for a year. It was worth every cent and time spent.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer made all the difference in the world to my success. He is also who insisted that I join MFP and keep an accurate food and exercise diary, which has been so hugely beneficial to my work toward my fitness goals. :)
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Luv my trainer! He literally saved my life when no one else would work with me.. I went for not moving to walking 5ks, doing the warrior dash to signing up for my 1st mini triathlon.. All with in 18months... I also am able to trap dead lift 260lbs..
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I have one that I have access to at work (company has a small gym on site with a trainer). The trainer has made a world of difference. Learning different moves and being able to design a routine around my individual needs is just awesome. Plus its good to get a 2nd opinion on fitness advice. You have to make sure you connect with your trainer though. She knows just how to push me and what I can and can't do. She listens if I say I have to stop, but knows when she can get a couple more out of me.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would not be where I am today without the amazing trainers that I have had over the past 2 and a half years! I definitely agree though, you need to find the one that works right for you. I got very lucky and both of mine were/are fantastic! A good trainer is worth every single penny.
  • cbuggy75
    cbuggy75 Posts: 23
    Options
    Meg, if that's your name, I can tell you that it's always about the person you get. But, if I can be honest, most trainers are going to tell you do "roughly" the same thing. There are no "secrets" to weight loss. I can promise you that. There are two ways to do it. Eat less than your BMR (this is the slower way). And eat less than your BMR and exercise regularly (this will get it done faster). Struggling with weight isn't the issue for 99% of the people trying to lose weight. Self Control is the issue. Once you eat less than you burn and exercise regularly, if you're not losing weight, then you truly do have a weight issue and should see a doctor. Save your money on a trainer because if you're not willing to get your will power under control, you're throwing money away. Maybe you have it, but do what you think you need to.

Are you sure about that? ?Eat less than your BMR (this is the slower way). And eat less than your BMR and exercise regularly (this will get it done faster)" or do you mean eat 20% Less then yout TDEE???
  • cbuggy75
    cbuggy75 Posts: 23
    Options
    I would not be where I am today without the amazing trainers that I have had over the past 2 and a half years! I definitely agree though, you need to find the one that works right for you. I got very lucky and both of mine were/are fantastic! A good trainer is worth every single penny.

Look at you! You look amazing! ;)
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer that I've been seeing for a few months. He has really taught me a lot. He has journal'd all my exercises so I know what I can do when my sessions run out. I'm really satisfied with the results. I know that even if I don't want to I have to see him, and I train with him 3 days a week.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I love my personal trainer. He makes sure that in the weight room I am using proper form and gives me tips on what to do between training sessions. Make sure you get a trainer who knows what they are doing. While the guy I work with is fantastic, many of the other trainers at my gym don't look like they know what they are doing. I hate lifitng too, having him around keeps me accountable and motivated :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think they best thing they can do is help you learn to use equipment and work on form. It's pretty easy to put together a basic routine, and there are some really good boxed programs available, so I wouldn't pay for something like that. But having someone available to check my form periodically is great.

So in that regard, I've never done regular PTing, but I make an appointment every couple of months or so, or anything I feel like my form needs to be looked at.
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've been with my trainer for almost a year, 2-3 times/week, and there's no way I could have gotten where I am today without him! I found a good one- he not only challenges me every single workout, he is also available all the time if I have food questions, and has been guiding me on nutritional goals as well- he's great!

And like debhol13 said, while I know proper form now, I still would never do any of it on my own- I need the extra push and motivation my trainer provides. Another motivation for me is that I'm paying a lot of money for this, so I better be getting something out of it! As in, I am committed to strengthening both my mind and body, and my trainer keeps me in constant check.

Agree with other posters- maybe buy a small package and figure out if it's what you want to do. Talk with possible trainers first before committing, make sure they're on the same wave-length as you are and you can meet your goals together. For example, I don't run. Period. And my trainer hates running, so therefore he would never make me do it. I do mix in cardio between training session days (usually various cardio classes).

You should strength train though too somehow- muscles burns fat :-) and makes you look lean and sexy...
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options

Wow.. I don't see where she had a will power problem. She wants info on using machines other that the cardio basics.

A (good) trainer will help you learn proper form, and motivate/push you. I love having that extra push in the gym.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed working with a personal trainer to how me how to use the equipment properly and help me incorporate new exercises into my routine. And they can be a great source of motivation. Sometimes taking the thinking and planning out of exercise is quite helpful and can make you just get things done.

I did get injured working with a personal trainer, but I still don't fault her for that as I had some risk factors even I didn't know about.

I agree that they aren't "magic" but they can be a great tool. So I disagree with the above poster.

I agree with this poster. I've been using a personal trainer for almost a year, twice a week. Could I work out by myself at this point? Yes, I probably could. However, knowing I have an appointment scheduled that I've paid good hard earned money for makes me much less likely to make excuses. And frankly, my trainer is awesome and the change in my body composition and my age frankly is quite amazing. I also do agree there are some really good trainers and some horrible trainers. I've had both.
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options

I agree with this poster. I've been using a personal trainer for almost a year, twice a week. Could I work out by myself at this point? Yes, I probably could. However, knowing I have an appointment scheduled that I've paid good hard earned money for makes me much less likely to make excuses. And frankly, my trainer is awesome and the change in my body composition and my age frankly is quite amazing. I also do agree there are some really good trainers and some horrible trainers. I've had both.

I Totally agree with both of these!!
  • fitlifemel
    fitlifemel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Meg, If your going to the gym on a regular basis and your logging on myfitnesspal on a reg basis, it sounds as if your pretty motivated to me!!! A personal trainer would definitely benefit someone like you!!!! Weight lifting, learning form, learning more about your body, cardio and nutrition is a lifestyle change and a trainer can provide you with this very valuable information!!! Im a personal trainer, and my clients have nothing but success but I give them the tools they need! I would look for a nationally accrediated certification and other specialty certs behind their names though. Because, unfortunately the requirements to be a certified trainer at every gym are not the same! Also, I lifting and having lean muscle is soooo super important as we age, not just for vanity reasons, but for health reasons... Have a great and healthy day and goodluck

edited by mfp moderator
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes Yes do it!!!! It will give you the tools you need to prevent injury and use things correctly . I don't work with one now but have in the past and it was an amazing experience as long as you don't get an a-hole