i have kids range'ing from the age's of 1-8years who
can be fussy at most time's, if possible within a budget
too.

Any help, idea's and suggestion's all welcome

Thank's

Replies

• JessMahoney1
    JessMahoney1 Posts: 86 Member
    I made a Tomato & Mushroom pasta yesterday, It was gorgeous, Healthy and Cheap!! You could add Chicken in for the children as well!

/7oz closed cup mushrooms
    2 garlic cloves
    1 onion
    Fry Light
    400g can chopped tomatoes
    340g/12oz dried pasta shapes
    6 tbsp freshly chopped basil
    150g pot fat-free natural fromage frais
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

To make the sauce: slice the mushrooms; crush the garlic; finely chop the onion. Heat a frying pan sprayed with Fry Light, add the mushrooms, and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and onions and fry for 2-3 minutes. Pour over the chopped tomatoes, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10-12 minutes.
    While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, drain and keep warm.
    Stir the sweetener, basil and fromage frais into the sauce, season well and remove from the heat. Add the mushroom and tomato sauce to the pasta, toss together and serve.

With no chicken it worked out to be: 323 Calories and 1 Gram of Fat!!

Tonight i'm making Mushroom Stroganoff with new potatos! (again for the kids you could add a meat?)

225g shallots or baby onions
    425ml vegetable stock
    225g baby button mushrooms
    225g assorted larger mushrooms such as open cup, chestnut and shiitake
    2 level tbsp tomato purée
    ½ tsp ground nutmeg
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    110g very low-fat natural yogurt
    1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
    2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley

I am not using all the ingredients tonight however (Not using: baby mushrooms, Nutmeg,parsley or Caraway seeds)

Peel and halve the shallots or onions. Place in a large saucepan and add 150ml of the stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
    Wipe all the mushrooms, and halve the larger ones. Blend the remaining stock with the tomato puree. Pour into the saucepan along with the mushrooms, nutmeg and plenty of seasoning. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until tender.
    Serve each portion with a spoonful of yogurt on top, sprinkled with caraway seeds or paprika and chopped parsley.

1 serving works out to be: 171 Calories and 0 grams Fat!

Look on the website Slimming world for some other great recipes!
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    How many does each recipe serve please?
  • JessMahoney1
    JessMahoney1 Posts: 86 Member
    sorry forgot to mention, they both serve 4 :)
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    I use a lot of recipes from skinnytaste.com when I'm cooking for the family or larger groups. They're always a hit and pack tons of veggies into every recipe. I made the buffalo turkey burgers last weekend and even the picky eaters at the table gobbled them up.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/05/buffalo-turkey-burgers-with-blue-cheese.html
  • GrammyNanner
    GrammyNanner Posts: 88 Member
    skinnytaste.com is our "go to" website for tasty, healthy meals. If you don't find it in the recipe list, she has a search bar on the home page. We have never made any of her recipes that we didn't care for. Entrees to desserts, etc.
  • vikki2010
    vikki2010 Posts: 7
    Thanks everyone will look into it :)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    skinnytaste.com, ohsheglows, chocolatecoveredkatie mostly desserts but has meals in there too, allrecipes, yummly.com is great too bc it complies reci[es from other websites and you can search on acalories, nutrition information, ingredients etc.

stapes i always have are variety dried beans (black beans chick peas kidney beans) mass frozen veggies (spinach stir fry mix broccoli asparagus) as well as cut up fresh peppers and onions and freeze them. a type of mea (idk, i am a veg lol) like chicken that you can portion and freeze. slow cookers are awesome too i love to make a vegan soup and then have lunch for the week. local library should have a good amount of cookbooks. i always have quinoa, rice, pasta, couscous, veggies, beans, cheese and spices on hand so i can throw together different varieties ("taco" salads, strogonoff, quesadillas, pasta dishes, quinoa with mixed veggies, sushi bowls, stir frys, currys, etc)
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,141 Member
    Also, there are several good things on the "Eating Well" website!!! They will thank you for the long term benefits!
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    i make meatless tacos

pinto beans no salt
    taco seasoning
    garlic
    onions.. cook it all and puree

i top w salsa and light SC and a high fiber tortilla low carb.

Kids will eat as much as ill make.