phentermine

Options
Dieting on phentermine.... I've done it before and lost about 96lbs in a year but the last year and a half I've gained about 40lbs of it back due to stress and life getting in the way with its ups and downs. but I am back on it and would like to lose 98lbs and then would like to get pregnant with my first baby. My significant other and I have made a goal to lose weight before we conceive because we both want to be health for our baby. Im really looking for support and someone to talk to when the weight isn't coming off.

Replies

• mamcarthur12
    Options
    Hi Jae,
    I just started taking phentermine today as well. I broke my knee last October and put on about 35-40lbs in 8 month. I'll definitely be here to talk if you need it.
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I hated it when I did it.
  • absinthia70
    absinthia70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just started back on phentermine myself after about 6 weeks off of it - on a higher dose - between that and the b-12 injections I am bouncing off the walls!
  • nikkigoldsmith581
    Options
    I've been on it since July 23rd, I'm on a 11 day on 3 day off schedule. First time on it. Just struggling to eat enough calories :(
  • JOYTI517
    JOYTI517 Posts: 8
    Options
    I started taking phentermine this week. I don't like to take any kind of pills, but doc wants to give it a try. 1/2 tab daily so I ageed. We'll seehow it goes. good luck to all.
  • nikkigoldsmith581
    Options
    I completely understand the pill thing. I don't even take tylenol. One of my close friends entire family has used phen with amazing results and kept the weight off. They encouraged me to give it a try and it''s going well so far! There are some side effects but imo the pros out weigh the cons. You have to make that decision for yourself though.
  • JOYTI517
    JOYTI517 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm going to give it a try and see. I do see an increase in energy the last couple of days, not sure if it's from that or eating more nutritious foods and tracking them. probably a combo. good luch in your journey, you're doing great!
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you intend to do this be very careful. My doctor put me on Phentermine several years ago and yes I did get lots of energy and lose weight BUT it also gave me an irregular heart beat which I still have even though I have been off of it for 2-3 years. Because of this, my fitness efforts have been hindered tremendously. At random times my heart pounds and beat erratically...and it is very scary. It is definitely not worth the possible side effects. In hind sight I wish I had never taken it in the first place, and wish I had just disciplined myself and lost weight the right way in the first place. Maybe then I wouldn't have all the trouble I am currently having...
  • am2anangel
    am2anangel Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You got this. I'm on phentermine too. It really helps a lot. This next week will be a real challenge for me I have 1 pill left and no money to get more for 2 weeks. I'm hoping I can keep on track even without it. It will be a true test to see if I'm making a life style change or becoming too dependent on the pill. Good for you for deciding to be healthier for your baby. Good luck with the cravinggs once you become pregnant and I assume you will stop the phentermine during pregnancy. That will also be tough. Just have faith. Think about the benefits and the positive results of a healthy baby. This is an ezcellent site for motivation, support, and encouragement. They say people on phentermine tend to gain all the weight back. But if you make a lifestyle change while using it. You should continue to have positive results. Good luck. Ill be sending you a friend request. And be keeping an eye on your progress to help support you.
  • nikkigoldsmith581
    Options
    I'm going to give it a try and see. I do see an increase in energy the last couple of days, not sure if it's from that or eating more nutritious foods and tracking them. probably a combo. good luch in your journey, you're doing great!

It's most likely a combination of both, it gives me a boost about 30mins-1hr after I take it. Good luck to you as well! Just remember to keep your nutrition in line It can be tempting on phen to skip meals and eat the bad stuff and still be under your calories. Unfortunately when we go off it wont work like that and can mess up your metabolism from not eating frequently enough. I'm struggling with it now, but getting better!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I tried it once. It made me angry and gave me crazy mood swings. I couldn't sleep, couldn't sit still. I was SO TIRED but so wound up at the same time. I gained all the weight I lost back plus much more. I would absolutely never recommend someone use it. Learn how to change your lifestyle instead of relying on a pill.
  • Dbunny68
    Dbunny68 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started back on it today. In the past, I was on it for the first 2 months I did the Jenny Craig program (lost 50 pounds in 6 months back then). I didn't see its use as a solution to my weight problems; I saw it as a tool to help me with 2 things: 1) not suffer so much as I became accustomed to smaller portion sizes, and reason 2 (and most importantly), to help me break my addiction to fast food and junk food.

Unfortunately over the years I have sabotaged myself and gained the weight back (and then some)! So about a month ago I started to try and diet/exercise again, and had trouble with the same old thing: addiction to fast food/junk food. So I'm going to once again use it as a tool as I break the spell these bad foods have over me.

This time though, my doc recommended being on a schedule of taking it for a week, then being off of it a week. I wonder how that will work.
  • am2anangel
    am2anangel Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A suggestion I recently came across was to plan out your meals for the day or week and prepare ahead if possible. That way you're not tempted to go the fast food route you already know what you are going to have. Snack size ziplock bags of healthy snacks can help when you are on the go too. Prepare several at the beginning of the week so you can just grab and go. Fill ft hem with almonds, baby carrots, dried fruits (watch these for high sugar count though) , unfortunately apples and cucumbers tend to spoil too quickly for preperation of these before hand. But there are all kinds of healthy snacks you can comeup with to put in them. Mozarella cheese sticks are a healthy choice too. Maybe baked wheat crackers. Just some suggestions. Of course I give all this advice the day after I was so u pset about splurging on burger king. I really must start practicing what I preach. Lol
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I started phentermine, with Lipoden, and B-12 injections on May 7th. I have found that I do not need the phentermine, because I am not having days where I want to eat everything in site. I use the phentermine only on those days to suppress my appetite. However, I still go weekly to the Dr for my injections, and to weigh in. Last Tuesday was a month that I had been on the meds. I have lost 13.2 pounds. I am still on the lowest dose of phentermine. My Dr was very impressed with my progress, and told me to keep doing what I am doing. Good luck to you all, and I hope you all have much success. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • daberle3
    daberle3 Posts: 6
    Options
    I've been on it for about 7 weeks now-1/2 tablet. I've definitely lost weight and it has suppressed my appetite, however, I've been so apprehensive about staying on it- just wanted that extra edge, you know? I'm not having any side effects really but I've read that it is not really effective after about 6 weeks or so and that you shouldn't be on it long term. I'm still taking it but have been pretty focused on diet and exercise too so I may end up coming off it soon. They told me you shouldn't quit it abruptly but wean it off. Curious about the post that said they were on a week, off a week. Is that working Dbunny68?
  • Dbunny68
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of taking it and I have to admit it makes me feel fantastic, which is a lovely side effect! As far as appetite, it really does work. I don't crave the junk food at all. Evenings, my problem time, I'm still hungry but I am now realizing that I'm sooo being "Pavlov's dog" about it - I'm used to eating next to nothing all day and pigging out every evening. I think the phentermine will help me reset my behaviors, and have less setbacks in doing so. I have four more days on, then it will be my "off week" so I am apprehensive about backsliding. Will have to steel my resolve!
  • meredithkrueger
    Options
    If you intend to do this be very careful. My doctor put me on Phentermine several years ago and yes I did get lots of energy and lose weight BUT it also gave me an irregular heart beat which I still have even though I have been off of it for 2-3 years. Because of this, my fitness efforts have been hindered tremendously. At random times my heart pounds and beat erratically...and it is very scary. It is definitely not worth the possible side effects. In hind sight I wish I had never taken it in the first place, and wish I had just disciplined myself and lost weight the right way in the first place. Maybe then I wouldn't have all the trouble I am currently having...

I agree with this... I tried it a while back and yes, I did lose a lot of weight but I gained it all back... plus some. I stopped taking it when I starting having side affects - I would feel faint and my heart would beat crazy fast. Once i almost blacked out when driving. I also still have random fast heart racing. I am now losing weight (down 20 lbs and 12 inches) the right way with diet and exercise. I feel so much better and feel that this time it is a lifestyle change that I can keep up with. A friend of mine also took Phentermine when I did and she has also gained everything back plus some. It doesn't teach you the right way to eat. Be careful!
  • NicolleLindgren
    NicolleLindgren Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I loved it when I was on it- I could control my appetite so much better and dropped weight pretty quick, but gained it all back as soon as I was off- the closest doc that would write me a prescription for it was a few hours away.. I did not want to have to drive that every month for the followup appointments :/
  • Dbunny68
    Options
    I agree with you. Like even bariatric surgery, with diet drugs you must view the intervention as a tool to help you get started on a permanent change to healthy and portion-controlled food choices. People who rely on these tools to do all of the "heavy lifting" of one's weight loss efforts are bound to fail.

The stats are that only 12% of people who lose weight through diet and exercise will have kept off that weight after 5 years. I too did the same thing you and your friend did - lost a lot, then gained it all back and then some. (Lost 50 pounds in 6 months with Jenny Craig, first 2 months with phentermine, last 4 months without). I didn't gain the weight back because I had used phentermine, or because I didn't know how to eat right. Whatever is in my psyche that makes food my coping mechanism is still there, and I know with this weight loss effort, I have to finally fix my head as well as my body. Don't know how I'm going to do that yet.

Wishing everyone luck and sending support to all.
  • jreckart2003
    Options
    I have been on Phentermine 37.5 since last Wednesday. Initially I was anxious and had a hard time sleeping. Luckily, that has passed. The only side effect that I am having is occasional dry mouth - that just means that I am drinking a lot more water :) So far I have lost almost 9 lbs. I am sure that is partially water weight but it is exciting. I have modified my eating habits too and am counting calories and watching what I eat as well as exercise. I know that this is not a forever pill but I think that it is kick starting my lifestyle change. I look forward to reading more updates.
This discussion has been closed.