10 Things I Wish I'd Known About Half Marathons & Training

Options
Hey yos! I wanted to share some things I learned about training for a half, since this has come up several times and might save you a little pain/effort/etc. :) They're in no particular order:

1. Half marathons are ridiculously awesome. If you're hesitating on signing up, sign up with a resounding YES! :) You can do it! And if you're like me you'll be crazy glad you did, even if it sounded nutso when you were signing up.

2. Training for the run is important - it's mostly for the mind game of knowing you can do it (and you can). There's a switch that flipped for me around 6-7 miles where I finally knew I could run long distances. Run a long run each week, increasing by 1 mile each week.

3. Core training/stretching is really important for injury prevention, especially for your knees. Do squats, stretch, maybe even lift at the gym. I'd recommend this video for knee injury prevention: http://www.gaiam.com/strong-knees/05-53351,default,pd.html. This free intro of the video has awesome exercises, definitely at least do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egtDsX696Ak

4. You actually do need some calories (carbs) to be able to do a longer run. I was counting calories here, so I wouldn't eat enough trying to have more of a deficit, and would get fatigued for 6+ mile runs. Have a healthy carby snack - fruit + oatmeal, whatever - to give your body the energy it does really need for this.

5. People with asthma: close your mouth when you run. It made a huge difference for me, especially in winter. And it's easier (for me) than it sounds to do. If you can't close your mouth - you're exerting yourself more than that, or the asthma is too bad to close your mouth - cover it with something you can breathe through, to warm up and filter the air you get in your lungs. I use a synthetic runner's headband to cover my mouth when I run in the winter. I'm sure I look like a dork, but I'd MUCH rather be able to finish a long run comfortably than to wheeze and be in pain through it all.

6. For the mind game of completing such a long distance - it's helpful/okay to watch the ground when you're really wanting to stop. One foot down at a time. You can see yourself moving, and it helps you stop focusing on how far away the goal is.

7. Mind game: an awesome playlist works wonders. I use this tool - http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm - to tap the beats per minute in my favorite songs, picking the ones with the higher BPM (not too high for my stride, but high enough to motivate). Engineering my playlist sped me up 30 seconds per mile for the last half I did.

8. It helps to run/train with a friend if possible, celebrate your victories together. See if you can recruit someone to sign up with you!

9. SHOES. My arches were hurting, when a friend suggested I replace my shoes. I'd had them for a year and a half, and had bought nice running shoes, so I thought they were okay. Wrong - when I bought new shoes at a running store, fitted for my feet, the brand new shoes OVERNIGHT fixed my arch pain. The lifespan of a running shoe, when training for a half marathon and exercising lots, is 6 months. It does matter.

10. Drink lots of water, throughout the day, and especially before you run. Stay hydrated. I actually stop on my long runs wherever I can to get water - McDonald's, water fountains in parks, whatever. It sounds like a no-brainer but it's one of those rules I didn't take seriously enough. I'd have a little cup of water, go run, whatever - but as I got more serious, I started noticing that wasn't enough, and lack of water would be a bottleneck. Now I drink at least 3/4ths of a liter before I run (I force the amount like that if I'm running first thing in the morning, otherwise hopefully I've been drinking enough all day already to go run!).

Hope this helps someone!! :)

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to approach that run after taking a nice long bike ride and not stopping for a rest in between? :)
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    5. People with asthma: close your mouth when you run. It made a huge difference for me, especially in winter. And it's easier (for me) than it sounds to do. If you can't close your mouth - you're exerting yourself more than that, or the asthma is too bad to close your mouth - cover it with something you can breathe through, to warm up and filter the air you get in your lungs. I use a synthetic runner's headband to cover my mouth when I run in the winter. I'm sure I look like a dork, but I'd MUCH rather be able to finish a long run comfortably than to wheeze and be in pain through it all.

I think everyone should try to do this in general, and almost certainly for 5 miles and longer. One reason you mention - if you can't, then it is likely that you are overexerting yourself. Another reason is it slows down dehydration, probably only a little in reality, but a lot in perception. I ran 10 miles the other night without hydrating while I ran and my mouth was not dry when I finished. I was thirsty and needed hydrating (DUH!) but it made it easier to run the last few miles without feeling like I needed water desperately.

Thanks for writing this up; very helpful!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to approach that run after taking a nice long bike ride and not stopping for a rest in between? :)

Dismount and park the bike before you begin running? or if it isn't your bike, just dismount... :bigsmile:
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Haha - are you doing a triathlon? Or just awesome like that? I think you're way ahead of me for advice. :p
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! :) I'm in the midst of training for my first half marathon in September!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Dismount and park the bike before you begin running? or if it isn't your bike, just dismount... :bigsmile:

and don't forget to change your footwear.....running in cycling shoes is less than optimal (and really wrecks the cleats) :happy:

seriously though, if you're thinking of doing a du or a tri you can't beat brick workouts......your legs feel rubbery the first few times but you will adapt (rehearse transitions too....having a routine takes a lot of stress out of the equation)

To the OP.....great advice. Also don;t forget to work on hip & glute strength. It's not unusual for weaknesses to manifest themselves as knee pain (check out runnersworld.com for some great videos)
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for next year! I plan to do a half marathon next June if its still going ahead after this year.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    this helps me more than you know!!!! i just signed up for my first half (!!!) in september. i have at least one organized race planned each month for the rest of the year, through october. need to plan my november and december races, but that can come later :)
  • aliparker4
    aliparker4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a 10k in Nov and am planning to run a 1/2 in Feb in NOLA. I'm scared to death, but I think I can do it. I was a sprinter and distance is so hard for me. I can run 5 miles, if I stop to walk after the first 2 and about every .75 or so after that with around 11 min/mi times. I just get fatigued and need to walk. Thanks for the info. I needed the mental push!
  • kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump! Amazing tips, thanks!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    My knees were KILLING me after my first half in May...now I know I really need to do other exercises as you suggested to strengthen those suckers!!

And yes, yes, yes on proper shoes and adequate hydration!!
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been thinking of signing up for one... this is a bit of motivation!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    What a great post! I am a newbie runner, just completed my first 5k a few months ago. I want to get more comfortable running them and increase my speed, but then I want to train for a half marathon. There were some really good tips in here, thanks!
  • Iloveeyore78
    Iloveeyore78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much for sharing these tips! Love it!!!!
  • nickeljean
    Options
    I did my first half marathon on Mother's Day! Here's another caveat: I wasn't prepared for how hungry the training made me. I actually gained 5 pounds during the training. (And, no, it wasn't muscle - my pants told me a different story!) I admittedly did not make good food choices, but my stomach constantly felt like a bottomless pit.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Love this my knees been giving me some trouble sharp pain to the side not constantly but every so often
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Thanks - doing my first half in 2 weeks!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    this helps me more than you know!!!! i just signed up for my first half (!!!) in september. i have at least one organized race planned each month for the rest of the year, through october. need to plan my november and december races, but that can come later :)

I'm signing up for my first half in December (and in Hawaii!).
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks. I am doing my first half marathon in two weeks time and am slightly scared.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Great tips- Just ran my first half on 6/2/2013. I was one of the people who was posting and asking all of these questions because I didn't know what to expect! I am so proud of myself for doing this. My half marathon was actually the best run that I ever had- the adrenaline really kicks it up and you also want to keep up with those around you.

It really is mind over matter!