Still have a lot to lose - Can anyone recommend a bra?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    So glad I came upon this thread! I did my measurements online and found out I am a 42G I never knew there was a G. I have been wearing a 40D for as long as I can remember. I need to go bra shopping STAT! :embarassed:
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Take a peek at Ross Dress for Less...they usually have some name brand bras at half the price.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Oh and kudos on your weight loss!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Target always has some on clearance. Sports bras are good because they don't go by the cups or inches, they fit longer, through all the changes. Also, maternity bras are good too. Even though you aren't breastfeeding or whatever! lol They usually come with 5 or so clasps instead of 2 or 3 so they last longer. Also places like Burlington, Ross, etc usually have cheap(er) bras...
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You can also try Torrid - full price they are still $30-40 but they often have sales like buy one get one half off and they also have many on clearance for $15. I just picked one up a month or two ago.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I completely get you about the bra thing and not wanting to pay LB prices and knowing a new one will only fit right for a few months. But after doing this for the past 18 months, I have to admit that having a good bra really improved my life. And I shrunk out of a bra about every 3 months, even if the scale didn't seem to move all that much. EXPENSIVE! I have spent way more on bras than anything else! I've been able to find cheap panties on sale, but bras have been harder. Everything else I've bought has come from a thrift store.

I ended up buying the LB bras until I was down to a 42DD. (I started at 46F) I was unable to find the 42DDs anywhere else that were supportive enough. And worst of all, I have always bought my bras twice a year when they had their big bra sales, but my bra needs didn't coincide with the sales. I just bit the bullet and bought one that fit, and wore it when I worked out. I was able to tolerate a poor fitting bra around the house and such, but working out it drive me nuts.

When I got to a 40DD, I found several styles at Belk (Lillyette, Playtex) that I liked okay, and they have bras on clearance all the time. I think most dept stores are like that.

Now I'm in a 36DD and I was sure I would be able to find cheaper bras. I tried on bras at lots of stores, bought several from Tuesday Morning, and spent over an hour at walmart trying them on. But none fit right. I took the Tuesday Morning bras back. It seems like almost every larger bra out there is a style used on their 32As, sized up to a DD. No support, skimpy straps, one or two little hooks, and light as a feather. I need armor!!

I have a list of requirements for a bra and I can't find any that meet all of them, except LB, which no longer comes in my size. I need at least 3 back hooks, metal hooks, rings and buckles, and an underwire. It doesn't seem like a hard list!! Sigh.

BUT, the thing I wanted to share: I eventually figured out, around a 40DD, that I could wash a bra every day or two and not worry about wearing it out!! You could get one bra, drop in the washer every day, and hang dry it, and it would STILL have life to it in 3 months when it won't fit anymore! No need to baby the bras to try to get as much life out of them. Abuse them! You won't need it long and then you won't spend as much.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Once you're at goal, I recommend the Wacoal Slimline Minimizer! They are the ONLY bra I've ever found that stops that annoying underbreast crease inside the cup and keep the darn girls UP where they should be, even when I'm running.

I'm now a 34 B and still wear them, even after a sales girl said, "That's the wrong bra for you, what are you minimizing?" (I laughed, but I do wonder how many sales she loses calling people flat chested.)

If you're changing sizes, you probably don't want to spend $80 on a bra, but once you get to goal, I can't recommend Wacoal enough. (I don't work for them and I'm not being paid to say this.)

I wear a Wacoal, I think it's the minimizer - but I'm at 42-G still. Ugh. I don't like it actually very much at all, it feels more like a boobsack than a supportive bra; my breasts just kind of flop into the cups and hang there.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at people saying they got bigger sizes at Walmart. I went there about two weeks ago and tried on a ton of bras and none of them fit right. The problem actually isn't my DD status, it's the large 44 band. I can squeeze into a 42 but most bras I find stop at 40DD. I still wear my sports bra but I'm spilling out of it a bit.

I know this is stubborn, but a promise I made to myself when I started losing weight was that I would literally NEVER buy anything at a Lane Bryant ever again. Lane Bryant is the bane of my existence. I hate their clothes, I think they're ugly and severely overpriced. I only ever shopped there because I was too overweight to find clothes elsewhere. Now that I'm down to a size 20 I've been able to go to some normal stores again and I'm not looking back!

I would only buy 1-2 bras that fit. As you lose weight, most likely your bra size will go down. I have tons of bras that no longer fit - not even 'almost fit'!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I also bought a (I think Hanes) sports bra from WalMart with a BUILT IN BRA!! Oh my goodness, it's so comfortable. I use it for exercising and everyday use - LOVE IT! It was only $9 and they had up to 42DD
  • andijean31
    andijean31 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the Enell sports bra. It's the only thing that keeps mine in place while doing jumping jacks, etc and I'm a 42 DD. http://www.ladiesonlysports.com/enell-sports-bra-oprah-favorite.html
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I love Kohl's clearance bras. The barely there brand is very comfortable and has full coverage. I went from a 46C to a 36B and love mine. Good luck!
  • newloafofbread
    newloafofbread Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well I just got back from Kohl's and it was kind of a nightmare. I found ONE bra in my actual size (44DD) and it was very uncomfortable. I found a few bras in 42DD. Couldn't be picky about style or size at all, but I found one that fit okay. Not great, but okay. It's possible I'll end up returning it. -sigh- clothes shopping STILL isn't fun.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    buy fewer good quality bras and handwash after each wear. i lose inches from my back quickly and have gone from 42/40 to a 34/36. The worst was last December when all my bra bands were loose so I bought new bras and then in January I lost a significant amount in the cup and the new bras were too big. grrr.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Burlington coat factory, $2 bras for the win! Also 99 cent pretty panties. I keep having to buy smaller panties every 2 weeks with my current weight loss rate. It is so nice to have pretty panties without freaking out that they wont fit in a week or 2. Though for bras, I gave up and now wear sports bras for now. This is mainly because my current size is not available in regular stores (or even places like victorias secret) and partially because I go through a new bra every week otherwise.

Oh right, the sports bras I currently wear are those 3 for $9.99 bras at walmart.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I buy minimizer bras for the time being. When they actually fit, they are kinda tight, but because they are so stretchy as the girls shrink they can still fit nicely for a while.