bigger now than when i started.

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for the last 4 years on and off and I am now bigger than I have ever been. I want to lose 4st how get motivated and does this site help lots of u?
:cry: I start of ok but then lose the motivation, so any tips I want to lose this weight am starting for the final time tomorrow. any tips?

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I don't know what will motivate you as motivation comes from within. If you want it badly enough no obstacle will be too big. You need to *kitten* yourself and see if you are really ready to commit to this for life.
  • Neshmi
    Neshmi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This site is great. It takes one addition (food) and ties it to another (internet) and the end result is that we become addicted to eating and living healthy while sharing our experiences with the community. Not a bad deal huh?
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you have a bad day, or even a bad week, don't let it discourage you. If you mess up, just use it as motivation to do better the next day. Whaetver you do, just don't quit. Don't expect immidiate gratification, and keep at it even if things are progressing slowly. You can do it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Tough love answer here.

Problem is "you're trying". You're not COMMITTING. There's a difference. Until you are sick and tired of being sick and tired and get a backbone instead of a wishbone, you'll keep trying...........and trying.........and trying. Quit trying. Just get it done now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I put on when I started, then I went Vegan & lost a stone.

I'm going to a wedding in 2 weeks & that has kept me motivated. I'm worried that I will loose motivation after that though. You need something to aim for.
  • anacapenados
    anacapenados Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That happend to me on my first 2 months, I gained 4punds and 4cm of waist... I felt terrible, but then the third month, I just lost 10 pounds, and kept going untill now... I hope this helps you.

Keep going forward.

Carol
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with slipping up. I've always been under my calorie evaluation. I live on a farm so I get a good deal of exercise, I log in everything so I'll know where I am. I eat what I to, but sensibly, and I lose weight steadily and slowly ( I WANT it slow), I don't have any trouble at all staying on track with calories. I don't want to binge, I don't want to do cheat days ( hate that term), I don't want to backslide or negate my hard work...so I don't. I am really good at not doing things that I don't want to do. Call it dedication, call it self-discipline, or call it plain old stubborn as hell, it works
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I recommend the 5:2 diet plan. We have a group on MFP that is very helpful. The thing with this way of eating is that your motivation can be maintained one day at a time. It just makes the whole thing simple. If you have a bad day on one of your fast days, just continue and do a fast the following day. Once you read up on it you will understand. Have a great day.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Since I started with MFP last Sept I have lost 90lbs just by tracking my eating in the diary. Oh and starting to run. Set your self achievable targets, don't try to lose too much too soon. Stick with it and even when you have an off day, get back into it the next and you will achieve what you want. Just remember that as long as calories eaten are less than energy expended, no matter what you eat, you will lose weight
  • sar1386
    sar1386 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I wish u the best of luck and hope u can achieve ur goal, these sites are good and watching your calories, exercise really motivates to keep within your allowances, wish u well:)
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If it were easy....everyone would be at a healthy weight and have a fit body.

Honestly put, it just isn't easy! There is nothing harder in my opinion. Not because it is hard to lose weight, but because it is hard to be honest with ourselves. I can't count the number of times I "rationalized" in my head that this was okay, or that didn't matter etc...

Once I got honest with myself, quit blaming my environment and "problems" I had, and put the sole responsibility on myself, it has gotten much better. I'm now exercising again (after about 9 years of stagnation), really paying attention to what I eat, and making decisions that I consider better for myself.

I wish you great success and hope everything turns out roses for you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • eshanimongia5
    eshanimongia5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Apart from being able to log in my food...what I really love is the support that this community has. You do have to be motivated and committed. But people help. So add friends that will motivate you to log in everyday. Participate in challenges. Anything that makes the process exciting and interesting for you.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    1. Keep a journal. It will help you identify your issues.

2. Eat more fiber, veggies, whole grains, whatever.

3. Eat more protein. This one is hard for me. I have decided to go the smoothie route with a scoop of protein powder and a banana which I need more potassium as well so that works out.

4. The scale should be used as a measure of progress not failure. If you are up one week and haven't gone over on calories or skimped on exercise, congrats you have retained water or gained a pound of muscle.

5. Eat what you like in moderation and what you need in abundance. Lucky you if they are the same, then eat what you like in abundance.

6. Don't try to lose too fast, it just leads to problems like slingshotting your way back to the weight you were plus more than when you started.

7. Do what works for you. If someone says you need to ditch diet sodas but they don't cause issues for you, ignore them. If someone says Duuuuuuuuuuuuude, I lost like 7 pounds a week from standing on my head, well that might not work for you.

8. Log, log, log. it's the only way to find out your true calorie and exercise needs.

9. Google 1 pound of fat. Look at that anytime you are tempted to say "I only lost 1 pound this week."

10. Have a victory everyday. Either eat below your calorie goal by a little or get moving a little or log what you ate/exercised. Just keep piling those victories up and eventually you will be at goal and it will feel like it was easy.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent, I have lost 4.5 stones since August, but there is no magic elixir involved

Weigh & log all your intake, if you have a bad day, just get back on the next day, or the day after

It can be done, but only you can do it
  • OGJake12
    OGJake12 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Put both feet into this decision.

You would not let a child stop trying to walk if they failed too many times, you'd keep trying to figure out what works. Plain and simple.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    Tough love answer here.

Problem is "you're trying". You're not COMMITTING. There's a difference. Until you are sick and tired of being sick and tired and get a backbone instead of a wishbone, you'll keep trying...........and trying.........and trying. Quit trying. Just get it done now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I like this, even if it sounds a bit harsh, it's so true....I had that aha moment when I said to myself "are you going to try this again or are you going to do it? I don't know why I had it, but I'm so happy it happened!!!!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    My experience, long story made short: WHAT one eats really does matter. No amount of "willpower" or "moderation" can overcome malnutrition. Obesity is just one of MANY symptoms of metabolic syndrome. Google it.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You have to stop quitting, plain and simple. Even if you have a bad day or week. Do some research; pick a reasonable calorie goal; start measuring and logging, and take it one day at a time. It can be a long process, and it can often be frustrating. You just have to really want it.
  • janeshearl
    janeshearl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting for years. love this site! I started last July, have lost 61 pounds. This site helps me stay focused. I know its for me and me only so I record everything, I am only cheating and lying to myself if I didn't. Sure this last 10 pounds have been slow, but the scales are still going down even slowly! I have always been bigger than my spouse!, well today it was ONLY 1.5 pounds and I can even wear his jeans. Hey, I am 60 years old, so its never too late!!! Good luck and don't give up or in!! :-)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to lose weight for the last 4 years on and off and I am now bigger than I have ever been. I want to lose 4st how get motivated and does this site help lots of u?
    :cry: I start of ok but then lose the motivation, so any tips I want to lose this weight am starting for the final time tomorrow. any tips?

Your profile pic looks like me and probably a lot of other people that started on MFP...Myself and probably lots of other people on MFP look different now?

You have to want to do it, it isn`t really that difficult.

If I can change myself and lots of other people can too, then why can`t you?

Just take it slowly, day by day