BMI

Options
clobern
clobern Posts: 341 Member
So I checked a BMI calculator and it claims that I have to weigh 204 pounds or less in order to be considered "healthy" when it comes to BMI. However, I have not weighed that little since middle school. I was on the wrestling team in high school and was in great shape and weighed over 215 pounds, how am I supposed to get down to 204 pounds and be "healthy?"

Is BMI similar to other things, that it all really depends on the body and build?

Replies

• jreckart2003
    Options
    For my height, my healthy weight is 114. I can't imagine that number. I would love to see 150! 114 is just crazy!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You've just discovered the utter futility of BMI when applied to individuals. Going just by BMI many bodybuilders and other athletes would be considered obese. There are far better metrics such as waist to hip or chest to waist ratios but even they don't necessarily predict the real indicators of health such a blood pressure, serum lipids, resting heart rate etc.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you are very athletic, or if you have a large frame and especially if you are both, then BMI is not an appropriate way to determine what you should weigh. Also, for very small framed people, the same is true (i.e. they're likely to be told they're underweight when they're not)

I'm right at the very very top of the BMI range for my height at 22-23% body fat. As the healthy range of body fat for women is 18-28%, clearly I can be in the "overweight" range for BMI while still having a healthy body fat percentage. Additionally, if I were to starve myself down to the lower end of the BMI range for my height, that would be far from healthy.

Base your goal on body fat percentage instead, it's a lot more reliable as it's the same regardless of height frame size, i.e. 20% body fat is 20% body fat. I can't remember the healthy body fat ranges for men, but you can look them up online, and also ways to measure it. Leigh Peele's blog has an excellent free download on body fat percentage that I totally recommend. Body fat percentage will give you a goal weight (and goal body fat percentage) that's right for you, and it's a lot more accurate than BMI which is based solely on your height and no other variable.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Reaching a normal BMI doesn't work for everyone but my doctor believes in it. As a result I lost 50 pounds and at this point only 7 pounds to a 180 pounds which should be my normal.

My blood pressure is very good and my resting heart rate is 51.

BMI is Awesome!!!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Yeah, BMI tends to only be effective if you don't have much muscle built. Muscle is more dense than fat, so it makes the scale look higher even though your body fat% may be at a good number. The more muscle you have, the more likely it is that the BMI will be skewed.
  • AML1982
    AML1982 Posts: 2
    Options
    You're right. It really is dependent on the individual. BMI is a standard based on height and weight, but that is it. There are so many other factors that could throw that number off but you could still be a picture of health.

The gym I belong to has a body composition machine. It send electric pulses through your body and the data it provides is much more inclusive than just BMI. It provides skeletal mass, muscle mass, water and fat mass for your body. Gives averages of other males/females, shows where on your body your muscle mass is (for example I have 13.5 pounds of muscle in each leg, but 5 lbs muscle in left arm and 6.7 lbs muscle in right arm, etc.). It suggests calorie intake based on your basic metabolic rate, etc. Body fat%, etc. Much more inclusive than just BMI. Maybe call a few gyms to see if they offer this. My gym charged me $15 for this service but the information I learned was invaluable to modify my training to reach my fitness goals. Something to consider.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think BMI is a good guideline. It might not be accurate if you have a lot of muscle.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    if you are very athletic, or if you have a large frame and especially if you are both, then BMI is not an appropriate way to determine what you should weigh. Also, for very small framed people, the same is true (i.e. they're likely to be told they're underweight when they're not)

I'm right at the very very top of the BMI range for my height at 22-23% body fat. As the healthy range of body fat for women is 18-28%, clearly I can be in the "overweight" range for BMI while still having a healthy body fat percentage. Additionally, if I were to starve myself down to the lower end of the BMI range for my height, that would be far from healthy.

Base your goal on body fat percentage instead, it's a lot more reliable as it's the same regardless of height frame size, i.e. 20% body fat is 20% body fat. I can't remember the healthy body fat ranges for men, but you can look them up online, and also ways to measure it. Leigh Peele's blog has an excellent free download on body fat percentage that I totally recommend. Body fat percentage will give you a goal weight (and goal body fat percentage) that's right for you, and it's a lot more accurate than BMI which is based solely on your height and no other variable.

^^This
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

Yes! Too many people look at BMI which is pretty much the same as relying on the scale's number. It's not really a good indicator of health. Body fat % is what people should track and use for goals.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    <
    picture of obesity.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It is just a tool. Its a rough guide - its a range, not just one number. If you're very muscly, it'll be way off. But otherwise, it's a good starting place to think about your goals.
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    How do you figure out your body fat %?
  • crista_b
    Options
    Do a quick google search; there's calculators. It has to do with measurements, weight, height, etc.

ETA: Here's one that bases the calculation on the U.S. Navy Method: http://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

Here's another one: http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Like everyone says here, BMI only applies to the average people, not to athletes with a lot of muscle built in. A better measurement is body fat %, which unfortunately is not very easy to measure accurately. They sell bathroom scales with BF measuring capability, but it's not very reliable. Average BF range for men is 18-24% while for women it's 25-31%.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    <--my BMI says I am not just overweight but halfway to obese. Even when I hit my goal weight of 140lbs, I will still be in the overweight category. I'm not worried about it. It's a lot of muscle (and saggy skin!). (My BF% is 28 and I'm aiming for 24%)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

google "Leigh Peele body fat percentage download" - that should take you to a really great blog where you can get a free ebook download on the subject... I have this download myself (sorry I don't have the actual blog bookmarked), it details all the different methods of measuring body fat percentage, how reliable they are, and it also has pictures of men and women at different body fat percentages so you can base your goal on what sort of look you want (e.g. visible muscle definition or a more softer look) and basically everything you would need to know about body fat percentage. I totally recommend it, and it's totally free.
  • crista_b
    Options

google "Leigh Peele body fat percentage download" - that should take you to a really great blog where you can get a free ebook download on the subject... I have this download myself (sorry I don't have the actual blog bookmarked), it details all the different methods of measuring body fat percentage, how reliable they are, and it also has pictures of men and women at different body fat percentages so you can base your goal on what sort of look you want (e.g. visible muscle definition or a more softer look) and basically everything you would need to know about body fat percentage. I totally recommend it, and it's totally free.
    Here's the link: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    Do a quick google search; there's calculators. It has to do with measurements, weight, height, etc.

ETA: Here's one that bases the calculation on the U.S. Navy Method: http://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

Here's another one: http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

Thank you!
  • lauraleighsm
    Options

Here's the link: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

Whoa! That's some visuals there! Really interesting..
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yeah, BMI considers me to be overweight, but BF% gets me on the low end of acceptable and pretty close to athletic.