Beginners Strength Training

Options
I've been working out for about a month, cardio 5 or 6 times a week and walking for an hour on my lunch break. I am constantly hearing about how weights and strength training are more beneficial than cardio for weight loss. Sadly I can't figure out how to start! What has been most beneficial for you? I belong to Planet Fitness and don't have time or money to go to classes so what can I bang out at the gym in an hour? HELP!

Replies

• jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend you start reading.

Look around on the web for "Stronglifts 5x5" - the initial document can be had for free
    Look into a bookstore for "Starting Strength" or "New Rules of Lifting for Women"

I'm only a few months into lifting myself, and started with Starting Strength so I'm a bit biased, but the detail given in that book regarding how to safely perform each of the main compound lifts probably makes it worth getting even if you end up using a different program.

From what I've seen out of most trainers, you're probably going to be better off spending $10 on that book and slowly teaching yourself the form (and knowing that you're doing it right) than spending many times that on a couple of sessions with a trainer and having to hope that the trainer actually knows the proper form and is putting you into the program that you want to be in.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Look around on the web for "Stronglifts 5x5" - the initial document can be had for free
    Look into a bookstore for "Starting Strength" or "New Rules of Lifting for Women"

yup. these.
  • Wutopia
    Wutopia Posts: 1
    Options
    You don't necessarily need to use weights to start with strength training. There a quite a few exercises using your body weight only. You can try searching on Pinterest or YouTube. There's a channel on YouTube that has some body weight exercises called FitnessBlender. I just recently stumbled upon it, but haven't yet tried any of their routines yet. There's also ZuzkaLight (also on YouTube) which includes both body weight exercises for strength training as well as HIIT routines for cardio. Hope this helps! :)
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Honestly...the first time I needed to strength train...I swallowed my pride, and asked someone there that was obviously experienced. I asked him if he wouldn't mind teaching me some stuff. It stroked his ego, and I learned the proper techniques. Mind you...back then (because I'm SO old)...YouTube was still something new. I didn't have access to the information that is out there now. Thank goodness for the internet!!! Ha Ha.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this with a friend that wanted to start weight lifting. To be honest, I don't care how much literature you read or plans you look into...for like the first year or so you're lifting, you're probably doing it all wrong anyways. The main thing is to just get to the gym, and stick to a consistent set of exercises for a while. Advance in those exercises and consider down the line adding more to them.

There is alot of emphasis on form on most exercise and health forums. Form is important. It's also almost impossible to master for a novice lifter. Progress slowly, and start with low weights. Be very physically aware. Take note of the muscles that are firing during each section of a movement. For single joint movements like a bicep machine curl, that's very easy. For something that is very compound like an overhead squat, it's just as hard to learn as a perfect golf swing.

My advice to you, as I did, is to just go. Set a schedule and just show up. Second, have a goal, and work within the boundaries of that goal. Try out different lifts, machines, exercises, and be mentally tuned in to what feels natural and good to you.
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Honestly...the first time I needed to strength train...I swallowed my pride, and asked someone there that was obviously experienced. I asked him if he wouldn't mind teaching me some stuff. It stroked his ego, and I learned the proper techniques. Mind you...back then (because I'm SO old)...YouTube was still something new. I didn't have access to the information that is out there now. Thank goodness for the internet!!! Ha Ha.

I'm still not a pro!!! I prefer running/biking...being outside. But in order for me to progress and become a better athlete, I needed to incorporate strength training. But back when I started, it was to lose weight...so go for it! What do you have to lose!!!???
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for about a month, cardio 5 or 6 times a week and walking for an hour on my lunch break. I am constantly hearing about how weights and strength training are more beneficial than cardio for weight loss. Sadly I can't figure out how to start! What has been most beneficial for you? I belong to Planet Fitness and don't have time or money to go to classes so what can I bang out at the gym in an hour? HELP!

Not necessarily better for weight loss...it is better for fat loss. When you diet, in the absence of weight training or other resistance training, you burn a lot of muscle along with the fat. Many end up at some arbitrary goal weight but still excess body fat and a higher % of BF than they should have at that weight...this is because they're lost a lot of muscle along the way. Weight training preserves that muscle as well as it helps you maintain a higher base metabolism, increases bone density, makes you stronger, etc. Cardio and weight training/resistance training should be key components to any half way decent fitness plan.

As for where to start...Starting Strength is excellent. New Rules of Lifting for Women is also a good program...New Rules focuses a lot more on body composition where SS focuses more on actual strength gains.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I just finished NROLFW, but I've read on their Facebook page that the new book, New Rules of Lifting Supercharged, is better because it has updated information, and you can mix and match exercises. This one was suggested to me recently http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933 . I have friends doing StrongLifts 5x5 and Starting Strength, it's all in your preference. If you do NROLFW, I would join the group here (NROL4W), because it can be a little confusing, and there's a link to pre-filled spreadsheets that really helps clear things up.
  • shelliemacs
    shelliemacs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can whole hardily say Les Mills Pump (beachbody.com) was the best beginners weight lifting program I found. I started it in October 2012 and it fully explains everything you should do to build lean strong muscles. I LOVE it and still get results by using more weights.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    There's a great book called "The Complete Guide To Strength Training" by Anita Bean (body builder). This book has a plan to start from scratch with machines that you'll find at Planet Fitness and has progressions of the programs (Week 1-3, week 4-6, etc.) with intermediate programs once you complete those. It comes with descriptions of the exercises, pics, etc. I highly recommend it for starting from scratch, it has workouts that can last you at least 1 year before you move on to more advanced or specific routines.
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    I came here on the forums to post the SAME thing! I do pretty much all cardio and am desperately trying to figure out how to freakin lift. Today, there was this awesome fit gal lifting weights in what I think is called the squat rack, and I just kept staring at her. I was thisclose to stopping her and asking her for help!

My gym has muscle classes, but I need to know how to do the lifting on my own. I just spent a lot on my gym and don't want to spend even more on a trainer.

Also, I want to read the books on lifting, but I'm worried about hurting myself if I don't have proper form. That whole area of the gym with all the ripped men intimidates the heck out of me, and I end up hightailing it right back to a cardio machine!
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    I just finished NROLFW, but I've read on their Facebook page that the new book, New Rules of Lifting Supercharged, is better because it has updated information, and you can mix and match exercises. This one was suggested to me recently http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933 . I have friends doing StrongLifts 5x5 and Starting Strength, it's all in your preference. If you do NROLFW, I would join the group here (NROL4W), because it can be a little confusing, and there's a link to pre-filled spreadsheets that really helps clear things up.

Great links! Thanks!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about it for a long time. thanks for posting
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    You can meet with one of the trainers at Planet Fitness during a "Design Your Own Program" time. It doesn't cost anything and they are very helpful with getting you started. Also, any of the classes that they have there are free if they fit in with your schedule.
  • Harder_Better_Faster_Stronger
    Options
    Do NOT be intimidated by other people at the gym. We were all new once and if anything, they respect people more that lift. Those cardio machines will just make you a smaller version of the shape you have. Its the adding muscle that burns more fat and keeps the fat off.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I started out with calisthenics...push-ups, body-weight squats, lunges...at home. I then incorporated dumb bell exercises.

I recently started the Strong Lifts 5x5 program.

Definitely look at learning the free weights at your gym and build a routine. Strength training will do wonders for your body and helps with any cardio exercise you enjoy.
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I can whole hardily say Les Mills Pump (beachbody.com) was the best beginners weight lifting program I found.
    There's a great book called "The Complete Guide To Strength Training" by Anita Bean (body builder).

Well, as a man, I'm guessing that NROLFW would be inappropriate. What about the others? Would any of them be appropriate for a terribly out of shape, absolute beginner, 46 yo male?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I can whole hardily say Les Mills Pump (beachbody.com) was the best beginners weight lifting program I found.
    There's a great book called "The Complete Guide To Strength Training" by Anita Bean (body builder).

Well, as a man, I'm guessing that NROLFW would be inappropriate. What about the others? Would any of them be appropriate for a terribly out of shape, absolute beginner, 46 yo male?

Strong Lifts 5x5. There may also be a New Rules For Lifting that's not woman-focused (can't remember).
  • Pinkybarbell
    Options

Strong Lifts 5x5. There may also be a New Rules For Lifting that's not woman-focused (can't remember).

There are other New Rules For Lifting books. I still like Starting Strength lots, although it's very detailed it is an excellent resource.