28, Singled and 100+ lbs to lose

Options
OsiViper
OsiViper Posts: 65 Member
Have always been trying to lose weight since I was about 14 but never really had the motivation and drive.

Recently broke up with my fiance of 7 years and really wanting to get this weight off and start feeling good about myself again.

Looking for friends to talk to and help keep motivated and help keep them motivated. Would also love to hear any tips and hints from anyone who has lost $100.

Replies

• redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh 350lbs , I lost 150 pounds on my on before this site. I did alot of walking and weight training, since I couldn't afford the gym. Of course did the whole low carb thing for a while and it worked for me. I have changed it up because I was stuck at 200lbs for years. I am 5'6 currently at 165 lbs . So it is a constant push I want to be around 130 to 140 lbs. If I can do it I know you can :) The support and motivation you get on here keeps you going. Feel free to add me if you need an extra motivating buddy :)

Nadia
  • OsiViper
    Options
    Yea, I started going to the gym again doing cardio.
    I want to start doing weight training but I have no idea what machines to use and for how long/reps - so its mostly cardio :(
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Aw, going though a break up is hard, especially when the relationship was so long. When you start to feel down, head to the gym! It can be intimidating, putting yourself out there, but you'll get in shape and likely make some new friends. Maybe they have some group classes that incorporate weight training, that way you'll have the instructor and fellow gym members to observe while you're learning. If you can't afford a trainer, you can learn a lot here in the forums and groups, also check out books at the bookstore or library, and you can learn correct weight lifting form on youtube videos and websites too!
  • OMGitzj3551k4
    OMGitzj3551k4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I went through a breakup 3 years ago and found myself at 170 lbs. I'm 5'5 and it took me a good 2-3 years to finally find something that worked for me. Sometimes you have to rise and fall to figure out what works best. Success always comes from some sort of failure I've always seen. You can do this. You just have to spend some time with yourself and kind of play around with foods and exercises and develop a new healthy lifestyle. They say it takes about a month for it to become a habit and I find this to be true. Good luck on your journey!
  • OsiViper
    Options

I found a big thing was I always wanted to get home to spend time, now with nothing to go home to instead of ~20 minutes at the gym I'm trying to go 60 mins a day (sometimes double days Early AM and Evening)
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I want to start doing weight training but I have no idea what machines to use and for how long/reps - so its mostly cardio :(
    Hi, I send you a FR, you need to set up an appointment with a trainer at the gym you use. they can give you a lot of good info to get you started on your path to weight loss. Best wishes to you. You can do this!!!! :wink:
  • healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Add me! I think what your doing is awesome and you definitely need to know and love yourself before you go out to find someone to love you.
  • OsiViper
    Options
    Hi, I send you a FR, you need to set up an appointment with a trainer at the gym you use. they can give you a lot of good info to get you started on your path to weight loss. Best wishes to you. You can do this!!!! :wink:

I wish I could afford a trainer at the gym. I'm currently a student so my income is extremely limited :(
  • jenns717
    jenns717 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi! First of all, I am so sorry about your relationship ending. However, way to go on making yourself first in your life! Sometimes that is really hard to do. Especially if going to school, working and just surviving makes you so tired at the end of the day. You already are on the right path to finding your success!
    You mentioned the tight budget..I sooo remember those school days! Ramen for dinner? Ramen for lunch? haha Anyway, a lot of gyms really want your membership, so you can ask for a free training session if you sign up. If they give you an hour-split it between upper body weight one day and lower the next. Also, Body for Life has a book, online or print, that shows you detailed weights to use and how to use them. I found a lot of help on the internet by just searching, "weight lifting for beginners!" I have been lifting for two years now. I hope this helps-congrats again on the new you. If you would like "friend" me and we can encourage each other!
  • OsiViper
    Options
    Yea, I went shopping for food today, have a $150 budget a month for food. I got some stuff that will last for the month, others only a week. I ended up Spending $100.

So hopefully will be able to do it.
  • FinallyJennifer
    FinallyJennifer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Things like eggs and oatmeal are pretty cheap. Lean meats like chicken might be more but can help keep you full. I'm sure others can suggest healthy foods for a tight budget.

As for the gym, even if you can't afford a trainer, someone there would probably be willing to give you some basic info to get you started with weights. Also, youtube has videos that show you how many sets and reps for various muscle groups. There are apps for things like 0 to 100 pushups or sit ups. And don't forget podcasts. GetFit Guy is a good one for workout ideas.

Good luck! And congrats on 25 pounds so far!
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Firstly: GOOD FOR YOU! :flowerforyou:

It takes a lot to find your motivation and unfortunately, it's often found after the darkest of experiences. For me it wasn't a breakup but a house foreclosure, that ripped me out of my own little bubble and forced me to confront what I'd been doing to myself and what I wanted my life to look like. It takes guts (pun intended) and courage to actively change your life... especially when we all know that at least 50% of weight GAIN, and LOSS, is pyschological. Funnily enough, I think you'll find you've already gone through the hardest part - accepting you need to change and seeking out the help to do it.

And secondly... I'd LOVE to help! I'm a student too. I'm 25 and I've lost 55lbs in the last 11 months. I'm going very slowly, and making realistic, sustainable choices that will see me through long after I've lost weight and right into lifelong maintenance. I started lifting heavy about 9 months ago and I will *never* look back. I have lots of hints and tips and ways you can go about it on the cheap, so I'd love to 'pay it forward' with any info I have, like others did for me when I was first starting out. I promise you, it's the BEST thing you'll ever do for yourself. Not only will you feel physically better and start liking what you see in the mirror, but you'll feel strong and capable to try all sorts of things you never would've before.

I'll send you a friend request now, but I just wanted to say CONGRATS on overcoming the biggest hurdle to weightloss: your mind! We're all here to support and cheer you on through every pound, plateau, non-scale victory and stuff up you might have!! :drinker:
  • OsiViper
    Options
    Thanks for all the support guys and girls. Well I guess girls, no other guys here lol!