Homemade vs Shop Bought Granola

Options
Hi all,

This evening I finally got around to making my own granola. The only real reason I decided to do it was to try out my cooking skills (I'm awful at cooking!) But it got me thinking...

What exactly are the benefits to me making my own granola? Having sort of worked it out (in my lazy, half assed, round about manner) not only does shop bought granola seem to be less calories (and less carbs and other macros I log), but it costs less, and is obviously a lot easier than cooking from scratch. Yes it took less than an hour to make, and no it wasn't all that taxing (even for me) but it's time that could be better spent in my mind :)

Has anyone ever made their own granola who can argue a point to cooking it? Is it maybe down to taste? I've never actually had granola (Which will make tomorrows breakfast interesting haha)

Replies

• jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I make my own, and it is a bit higher in calories, but it's also higher in protein. I've not gotten around to comparing my cost to make it versus the store-bought cost. The main difference is mine is much better. :tongue: My recipe contains 2 cups of nuts (cashews and almonds) to 3 cups of oats, plus dried fruit and shredded coconut. It's sweetened with brown sugar and maple syrup (I use half the sweeteners than the original Alton Brown recipe calls for). If I could buy a version like that, I have no doubt it would be much more expensive than it costs me to make. In other words, not all granolas are equal.

I hope your first attempt turns out well.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    none its full of carb and fat eat porridge instead
  • chrissy_1987
    chrissy_1987 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well I think as you say jsd_135, the proof is in the tasting :) your recipe sounds delish! I'll have to post in the morning with my findings haha

h9dlb I don't really care for porridge and granola is full if good fats such as nuts but thanks for your.....input
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Okay, I just did a macro comparison between my granola (cashew and almond w/ dried fruit & coconut) and Quaker Natural Granola w/ Oats, Honey, Raisins & Almonds: Mine has (significantly) more fat; Quaker has more carbs.

Figures are based on my typical serving of 1/3 c., or 35g. I've adjusted the Quaker serving to match this:

Total calories
    Quaker: 143
    Mine: 166

Total protein:
    Quaker: 3g
    Mine: 4g

Total fats:
    Mine: 9g

Total carbs:
    Quaker: 29g
    Mine: 20g

Fiber:
    Mine: 4g

So my granola has a lot more fat, mainly due to the 2 cups of nuts and 3/4 cups of shredded coconut. They're good fats, so I don't worry about them. This also tells you just how many almonds you're getting in the Quaker product (i.e., not many). Quaker's has more carbs, so it's likely sweeter overall.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I make my own granola - with rolled oats, slivered almonds, ground flax seed, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and dried blueberries. I don't add any sweetener to it at all. I don't know that it's any cheaper, but I do know exactly what's in it and that's what matters to me. :flowerforyou:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I used to make my own granola all the time until I realized it was what was causing me massive heartburn.

Making your own allows you control what is in it, and it reduces cost. Just like all things you make yourself.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    none its full of carb and fat eat porridge instead

This response made me laugh my face off.
  • chrissy_1987
    Options
    hmmm so there are pros and cons to making it from scratch. There are a lot of benefits to cooking from scratch for everything. I'm just so lazy lol I could do with getting in to eating 'cleaner' so I suppose this is a good place to start (fingers crossed I don't get heartburn though :p)
  • chrissy_1987
    Options
    Well the granola was mega tasty! shane about the greek yoghurt and peach I put with it. Made it vile! so i tried it with just milk and it was delish :)