Back Pain From Walking?

Options
Do you ever get back pain from walking for an hour or so? Seems like whenever I walk for an extended period of time, my back starts hurting pretty bad. I'm not really sure what's causing it. Anyone have any ideas or advice?

Replies

• GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    Nope, and I walk a whole lot. Sounds like you need new walking shoes to me?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    There was a time when just sitting caused me pain. I had surgery to fix it though. Depends on the pain.

Do you think any of the following might apply?

posture
    weird shoes making you strain
    doing too much too soon
    an injury
    going for too long past your comfort level
    DOMS

You might need to see a doctor if you think its something serious or persistent.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    a physio i saw for my abs told me that to protect your back you should engage your front.
    could be any number of things but, i guess, a good question to start on is... are you engaging your abs while you walk?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Bad posture
    Weak muscles around core
    Tight hamstrings

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Endman
    Endman Posts: 894
    Options
    a physio i saw for my abs told me that to protect your back you should engage your front.
    could be any number of things but, i guess, a good question to start on is... are you engaging your abs while you walk?
    How does one "engage" their abs when they walk?
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    shoes, posture, stride, boobs, weak core, all sorts of things!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've had two disectomies in my back....during my physical therapy sessions after the most recent one, the therapist brought to my attention that I wasn't "using" my legs well while walking on the treadmill, or their track. And that I was "almost" dragging my left leg forward, instead of actually taking steps in a traditional fashion. He started me out walking as more of a march for a while, where I was actively lifting my knee more. I am know much more conscious of how I walk.

I would also get some walking/running shoes...I tried it for a while on "walmart" shoes, and that just didn't work. I ended up getting some Asics and that helped out a great deal.

You may want to get checked out if the pain is radiating, sharp, or if the hip aches a lot, that is usually an indication of spinal related issues.

Good Luck!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    not to forget the backpack slung haphazardly over one shoulder ;-)

if i were you, i'd hope it's the shoes, at least that'd be an easy enough fix.

my sister is a physio herself, but has back pain when running - apparently she has a loose vertebrae, that no targeted exercises can put back into place. - for more common issues, good core strength can do wonders though.
  • Chickyjd
    Chickyjd Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't get back pain, but quite often get pain in my sides! Usually a couple of hours after doing a 60 min walk/jog on treadmill... :ohwell:
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    How does one "engage" their abs when they walk?
    is that a serious question?
  • dooplegoon
    dooplegoon Posts: 66
    Options
    He started me out walking as more of a march for a while, where I was actively lifting my knee more. I am know much more conscious of how I walk.

I love to go for long walks but I sometimes get that twinge of sciatica afterward. But what craigmandu says makes a lot of sense. I have less pain if I stop periodically and pull my knees up one at a time to my chest. I think I'll start paying more attention to how I walk and lifting my knees more.
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My shoes are awesome. Can't be the shoes. I do have boobs, poor posture, and no muscles though. Hmm..

Okay then. Thanks for the help guys. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's your posture.
  • Endman
    Options
    Yes that was a serious question. How does one engage their abs when walking? What does that mean? And how do you do it?
  • stacyt83
    stacyt83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You tighten your abs while you walk. Think about sucking in your stomach and squeezing all your abs together. You hold that for long enough and you will start to feel it.
  • Endman
    Options
    And what is the purpose of doing that?
  • jeepinwelch
    jeepinwelch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have cartilage degeneration that is starting to affect my hips. Walking when my hips are acting up causes extreme back pain for me. I started getting adjusted by a chiropractor and it's helping. It might not be originating in your back so it's good to check for other issues too.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    My shoes are awesome. Can't be the shoes. I do have boobs, poor posture, and no muscles though. Hmm..

Okay then. Thanks for the help guys. :)
    doesn't matter how expensive or how awesome you think they are they could still be the problem.
  • kablooeee2u
    Options
    Have you just started a walking program? Or have you been doing it awhile? I know that walking will strengthen your back. Back in the nineties, I had gotten to a point where I walked and jogged intermittently to keep my heart rate up. When the summer became very hot (in Florida), instead of thinking of joining a gym, I stopped. About two weeks later, my back started hurting from the lack of exercise.

I have just now started walking at a steady pace (not fast) and I try to make sure I am using good posture; however, I have noticed that I am having back pain..sometimes lower back pain, but mostly upper. I figure that once I get used to walking again, that will subside.