Losing weight with PCOS

Options
Hi, I'm new to FP. Looking to meet anyone who has PCOS and has had sucessful weight loss. How did you do it? I'm struggling a bit, but will not give up. I can use the advice. Thanks

Replies

• candyhixson
    Options
    My niece has PCOS and has lost more than 100 pounds on a VEGAN diet. You can do it! :)
  • makeupangel
    Options
    what is PCOS??
  • afrase
    afrase Posts: 21
    Options
    Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    got it, and losing! whoot! How? Slowly.... Just watching calories and do something active (almost) everyday. active even if its 'just' cleaning a room in the house or something like that :) feel free to add me as a friend!!
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed w/ PCOS over 10 yrs ago and gained a lot of weight over the years (100lbs+). I was able to get pregnant a few yrs ago w/ the help of modern medicine but I had a complicated pregnancy because of the PCOS and due to my weight (250lbs).

My advice to you is to get yourself healthy - cardio workouts and a healthy diet do wonders for people with PCOS. You will be AMAZED at how much better you will feel - physically and emotionally. Just losing 20lbs will make you feel a lot better.

Remember it took years for you to get the way you are and it will take some time for you to get where you want to be. I recommend making some short term goals to keep motivated and if you fall of the wagon for the weekend or for a week get right back on and stick with it. This is a lifestyle change and will require some commitment.

Best of luck!
  • Katt71
    Katt71 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have PCOS. I have a 16 year old and a 5 year old and have had 2 miscarriages. I gained 85 lbs with my first son and never quite lost the weight. I've been up and down over the years. I've had great success losing with low carb diets, but the weight comes right back on. After almost 2 years of trying to conceive and then a miscarriage, I decided to join Curves and start working out along with watching what I ate. I lost 40 lbs and unexpectedly got pregnant again. I really watched what I ate and only gained 23 lbs with my second son. I did great until I started eating crappy and not working out again. Last summer I lost 45 lbs by watching what I ate and excersing, then hit a very stressful time and went back to my old ways and gained it all back plus 10 lbs.

I've learned the key for me is watching my calories, watching my carbs (45 for meals and 15 for snacks) and EXERCISE. I can lose it. I've lost it several times. But, I have to make it a long-term commitment and choice if I want the weight to stay off.

Also, you may ask your doctor about Metformin. It's a medicine that helps your body process glucose. It is prescribed for Diabetes, but also for women with PCOS. I have noticed a great improvement since I've been taking it.
  • chainy77
    chainy77 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful advice and encouragement. It's good to know I'm not alone in this battle. i will definitely keep at it. I have been watching the calories and exercising. I see the progress even though it's slow. I realize the most important is just to stay consistent.

Blessings to all and add me as a friend if you like.

Thanks
    Chainy
  • chainy77
    Options
    My niece has PCOS and has lost more than 100 pounds on a VEGAN diet. You can do it! :)

Thanks, I will definitely research it and see if I can start it. :-) There is hope, hallelujah
  • KerryB1977
    KerryB1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS also and have just started counting calories and watching my portion sizes.I recently joined MFP too so maybe we can encourage one another.I was diagnosed about 10 years ago with PCOS but haven't gained but about 50 pounds over the years but couldn't lose or would lose so slowly that I gave up.This time around I AM gonna do it! You will too and i'm gonna help to encourage you too.Add as friend if you want to. :)
  • englisa
    englisa Posts: 9
    Options
    Hello, I've been struggling with my PCOS since '07. I have had success with Metformin but the biggest change was when my doctor prescribe plain old birth control to regulate my hormones. Since then, losing weight has been easier for me - for the most part I do a cardio intensive workout (some weights but mostly jogging) I was at 226 when i started and now down to 210 on my current calorie and cardio regiment. Please keep me posted if you find something that works for you - I'm open to new ideas. I'm located in Houston TX by the way.

-Ashley-
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have been losing by spinning and doing yoga and watching the carbs keeping them way low. I got it after I had my one and only child that's almost 13. I took metformin and it made me so sick I couldn't function so I went with exercise and watching cals and carbs.
  • Katt71
    Katt71 Posts: 15
    Options
    I took metformin and it made me so sick I couldn't function so I went with exercise and watching cals and carbs.

Unfortunately, some people cannot tolerate Metformin. I have a friend who can't tolerate it, either.
  • strunkrn
    Options
    Greetings!

My wife has PCOS and has had to struggle to lose weight for years. She would stick to a high protein diet and exercise 6 days a week and lose maybe 1 or 2 pounds a month. As soon as she would fall off the wagon a little she would put on 5 pounds in a few days.. I followed her exercise and diet for a month; I lost 20 pounds and was in the best shape of my life. I can remember her running an 8 minute mile 5K on the treadmill. She could run longer and faster than those around her, and still she was over weight and didn't look the way she wanted to. Through enormous struggle and buckets of sweat she has managed to lose over 60 pounds and keep it off for the last 2 years. Although she will always have PCOS, after the weight came off her cycle normalized. We are now looking forward to having children someday. Above all else, PCOS is NOT FAIR. You have to work harder, sacrifice more, and be more diligent than the next girl. But it can be done. I've seen it first hand, and it made her my hero.
    So keep it up, we are here for you!!!!
  • nosipho
    nosipho Posts: 9
    Options
    Hello. My friend has PCOS and has lost weight through exercise. She was already eating healthily but still had weight issues. She now follows a high protein diet goes to the gym for an hour everyday. It gets easier once you've been diagnosed and have been put on treatment. Her skin is also looking very good since the treatment, the dark patches she had on her body are disappearing.
  • chainy77
    Options
    It's awesome to hear all the stories from everyone. I'm glad we can do this all together. The most important thing is don't give up. Eventually your body has to change, so consistency is key.

Blessings :-)
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Greetings!

My wife has PCOS and has had to struggle to lose weight for years. She would stick to a high protein diet and exercise 6 days a week and lose maybe 1 or 2 pounds a month. As soon as she would fall off the wagon a little she would put on 5 pounds in a few days.. I followed her exercise and diet for a month; I lost 20 pounds and was in the best shape of my life. I can remember her running an 8 minute mile 5K on the treadmill. She could run longer and faster than those around her, and still she was over weight and didn't look the way she wanted to. Through enormous struggle and buckets of sweat she has managed to lose over 60 pounds and keep it off for the last 2 years. Although she will always have PCOS, after the weight came off her cycle normalized. We are now looking forward to having children someday. Above all else, PCOS is NOT FAIR. You have to work harder, sacrifice more, and be more diligent than the next girl. But it can be done. I've seen it first hand, and it made her my hero.
    So keep it up, we are here for you!!!!

I just have to say wow, good for you, you sound like a great husband! Thank you for realising the struggles that she has had to go through.
    Anyway, I have PCOS and it's crap, lol! I've been on Glumetza for a while now, its the long lasting form of Metformin (I'm in Canada too, so I don't know if it's only available here or not), so I only have to take it three times a day. For the first week or two I had tummy troubles, but since then I am fine. I have been on a Low G.I. diet and have been taking Kickboxing at a Karate club since January 2010. Since then I have lost more weight than ever, 17 since January alone. It took me since April before that to lose the rest so I know that my changes have made a huge impact. Honestly, what strunkrn said is true, 'you have to work harder, sacrifice more, and be more diligent than the next girl' that it in a nutshell! Do everything you do 3x harder and you will get the results you need, which is why I started Kickboxing. I have VERY bad knees so my Dr said nothing with impact or I would be a runner right now. With Kickboxing as long as I am careful about my form it doesn't harm my knees and we work on a very thick bouncy surface so when doing jumping jacks etc its lower impact.
    I would def. suggest the G.I. diet though, its so easy to follow and you just eat real, healthy foods.
    So, good luck. And remember, we all fall off the wagon some times, but as we all know from having PCOS that this has to be a lifestyle change, so just pick yourself up and dust yourself off and start again at the next meal, or next day, whichever was the issue. You can do it. I know since I've changed to a healthier lifestyle that I don't gain weight, even though it may take me a month to lose that pound, it DOES come off. In the process I've become strong and healthy, and all my blood tests are excellent. You can do it! :bigsmile:
    Jenn