bigger now than when i started.

Options

Replies

• SerahLaffere
    SerahLaffere Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    A good start would be starting NOW

Not tomorrow.

I know the 'I'll start tomorrow' Diet all too well.

You can and will do this.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    There are 7 days in a week and tomorrow isn't one of them. Remember do or do not... There is no try.
  • anellalee
    anellalee Posts: 2
    Options
    i can sooo relate to your post. i'm tired of starting and stopping and relapsing. i'm really committing this time, but it's so difficult to change bad habits. i've been keeping quotes and photos to try to help inspire me to stay on track to get healthier and have more energy. good luck and you're not alone!
  • gracieloo8
    gracieloo8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that it is always about "What you want now vs. what you want MOST" when it comes to dieting. Write down a list of reasons you want to be thinner and healthier, and glance at them every day. You will soon start to crave healthier food, and eat in moderation by form of habit. Also, if you have a bad day OR just a bad meal, don't quit! It is actually good for your metabolism to have a spike in calories every couple of days. I follow my diet every day, and then allow myself to go out with friends twice a week to get a fattening meal. I end up losing more weight the next day because the "unhealthy" cleans out my system. Good luck to you!
  • greatgal1979
    Options
    I agree with redhead :smile:
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Tough love answer here.

Problem is "you're trying". You're not COMMITTING. There's a difference. Until you are sick and tired of being sick and tired and get a backbone instead of a wishbone, you'll keep trying...........and trying.........and trying. Quit trying. Just get it done now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

:flowerforyou: I needed to hear this!!!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I love what craigmandu said
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    get a backbone instead of a wishbone

Love this, and I'm stealing it!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It comes down to wanting to be thin more than wanting the food. I had to hit bottom...I had to cry my eyes out with disgust. I had to be SO low that the only way to go was up. That's what carried me through the year I have been here. It hasn't always been easy but I want it more than anything. That's where the motivation comes from. Friends here can help but they aren't standing next to you when you put that junk in your mouth or make you log everything you eat. But you CAN do it if you really want it. Do you? :)
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Tough love answer here.

Problem is "you're trying". You're not COMMITTING. There's a difference. Until you are sick and tired of being sick and tired and get a backbone instead of a wishbone, you'll keep trying...........and trying.........and trying. Quit trying. Just get it done now.

This is amazing. I'm glad i read this comment, it can apply to so much more than just MFP!
  • boszorka
    boszorka Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't know if it motivates you. When I started this program I wasn't motivated, but after a week eating correctly. You can eat aproximatly what you want by counting the calories. But the most important is not to forget to drink the 2 liters of water per day and also the most important to loose weight that I realised after trying to loose weight by just doing diets is to burn calories (doing sport). After a week I saw diferences in my weight.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You have to make that final decision. It's not up to what you use- it is just up to you. The support is awesome but the doing is the key.

Like someone that wants to quit smoking. (yes- been there done that 15 yrs ago) You really have to get to that point.
  • brittroady0
    brittroady0 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Tough love answer here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

100% true! I need to commit this to memory!
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have lost 60+ lbs the last two years. I started slowly by walking a couple of miles, very slowly. I remember at first I would get dizzy & have to stop at times. Now I walk 3 miles at a time at a very brisk pace, nearly 4.0 mph. I also adjusted my diet, slowly at first & trying to focus on more healthy eating choices. About three months ago I discovered MFP. Using MFP I was able to determine the appropriate daily number of calories for someone my height, weight & age. The thing that's great about it is you don't need a special diet.....you eat what you want. If you want chocolate cake one day, go for it! Just factor it in & try to keep within your daily nutrition metrics. I can positively say that if you track your calories religiously every day as I have & stay within your caloric limit....you will lose weight & reach your goal. It is possible & I am living proof. Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    am starting for the final time tomorrow. any tips?

This to me sounds like the problem. Every day is a new start. If you are ready for a change you should try for a fresh start each day towards healthier choices. You can do it!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    1. Keep a journal. It will help you identify your issues.

2. Eat more fiber, veggies, whole grains, whatever.

3. Eat more protein. This one is hard for me. I have decided to go the smoothie route with a scoop of protein powder and a banana which I need more potassium as well so that works out.

4. The scale should be used as a measure of progress not failure. If you are up one week and haven't gone over on calories or skimped on exercise, congrats you have retained water or gained a pound of muscle.

5. Eat what you like in moderation and what you need in abundance. Lucky you if they are the same, then eat what you like in abundance.

6. Don't try to lose too fast, it just leads to problems like slingshotting your way back to the weight you were plus more than when you started.

7. Do what works for you. If someone says you need to ditch diet sodas but they don't cause issues for you, ignore them. If someone says Duuuuuuuuuuuuude, I lost like 7 pounds a week from standing on my head, well that might not work for you.

8. Log, log, log. it's the only way to find out your true calorie and exercise needs.

9. Google 1 pound of fat. Look at that anytime you are tempted to say "I only lost 1 pound this week."

10. Have a victory everyday. Either eat below your calorie goal by a little or get moving a little or log what you ate/exercised. Just keep piling those victories up and eventually you will be at goal and it will feel like it was easy.

This is an excellent response. You need to bring your own motivation to this process and people here will provide moral support. Nothing will work unless you are determined to change your life and to create new habits to live by. That determination comes from within you. Good luck. I wish you every success. Remember that every day is a new. You get a fresh start each morning and it is up to you what to do with it.
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like in moderation and what you need in abundance. Lucky you if they are the same, then eat what you like in abundance.
    Unfortunatly only the part about eating in moderation is true. You Can Not eat what you need in adundance !! Everything has calories, carbs ,fat or sodium. Unless of course it's lettuce!! LOL!!
    Stick to a well balanced diet of a 4 food groups, Get a good mixture of proteins, veg's & complex carbs.
    You can do it if you are determined and your sick & tired of being sick & tired!!
    I wish you all the best,:flowerforyou:
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Do or do not. There is no try.
  • rosemariecoburn
    Options
    I have learn a lot the last year and half. One is to set no rules they are just something to break. Then we just feel quilty and stop trying. The other is to believe in yourself. We are all winners. God has given me strength I never knew I had. If you don't believe then believe the result I weight 296 and today I weigh 230. If I can encourage you or just pray I will. My fattiness pal helps make you aware of the calorie intake and a look at what we really eat if you are honest in your tracking. It is hard but it works. Join us on this journey.
  • TreySully1
    TreySully1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try making your goal fitness rather than a set weight or dress size. Make a list of what fitness means to you: able to walk three miles a day; healthy blood sugar, blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol; able to maintain aerobic activity for 60 minutes, clean eating, etc. if you do what you know is necessary to be fit, in time your weight will reflect it.