Things Get Better

Options
Sox90716
Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
I was angry, so I went for a run. And things got better.

I was confused, so I went for a run. And things got better.

I was exhausted, so I went for a run. And things got better.

I was lost, unsure, empty, afraid. Certain that whatever was left of my sanity had snapped, had come untethered and floated away, to a place so high and remote that I would never see it again, and that even if I did, I wouldn’t recognize it.

So I went for a run. And things got better.

I felt like things could not possibly get worse, so I went for a run. And things got better.

(Another time, I felt like things could not get much better. I went for a run. Things got much better.)

After enough miles, over enough runs and enough years, I realized: No matter what, no matter when, or where, or why, I can find my shoes and go for a run and things will get better.

And that realization? Just knowing that?

It made things better.
(Courtesy of Runner's World)

Replies

• mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I was having an awful morning at work and dang near cancelled my class for lunchtime (which would have ruined my goal of going every workday before my 30th b-day). I forced myself to go and I noticed that when I walked out, I was smiling.

So glad I didn't break my goal, sit in my chair and brood all day!
  • nznatural
    nznatural Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!

I was going to stay in bed and have a long sleep in today, get over the long tiring week. But I decided to get up and out into the cold and do my run anyway. And it did get better. And now I feel great!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but lots of problems get worse when I sit and stew in them. However, getting up, moving around and getting fresh air always changes my perspective for the better.