My Blood Pressure

Options
I'm 49 and fortunately, I've never had really high blood pressure but, I took a job about 2 years ago in which I don't move around much and between this, the weight gain that came with not moving, and my age, I noticed my B/P had slowly been creeping up to high-normal range , about (135/85).

Before the last 2 months I ate a lot of fried foods, cream sauces, gravies, etc. I didn't eat junk like candy and chips but ate everything else that was bad for you.

After 2 months of eating well (by my standards), and exercise, my B/P yesterday was 103/64! As a matter of fact in the last month my top number has never been higher than 110 and bottom number never higher than 69. It's amazing what a little exercise and eating conscientiousness can do. I'm not or never been on blood pressure meds.

I also still smoke cigarettes (I'm working on that) but all things considered, I think I'm lucky genetically that my blood pressure never hit dangerous levels over the years, and now with diet and exercise, I feel good about my chances of keeping it this way

Replies

• HotMommy0609
    Options
    Good job on the BP!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Yeah, losing weight really does affect so many aspects of our health/life! Glad you have been successful in getting your blood pressure lowered without meds. I also found after losing weight that my cholesterol levels were reduced dramatically - another plus! Keep working on the smoking; I would imagine that is difficult, but would be so worth it if you could give it up.
  • Dianeb412
    Options
    awesome results with your blood pressure. I have elevated BP so I can relate. I take medication and my goal is to get off the medication. Keep it up
  • LifeChanges42
    LifeChanges42 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am 34 and have been battling my weight as long as I can remember (I have always been a little thicker in the tummy and thighs). As a teenager I danced and taught dance putting me in the studio 6 nights a week averaging 6 hours a day... back then I weighed between 125 and 135, but my bp was always fine. After my first child (with a terrible pregnancy) I found myself at 154 going into labor and around 140 leaving the hospital eventually finding my way to 120 again. Then with the relationship going south, my weight crept up to 165.... my bp crept into stroke range (160-170/103-116). I was put on meds, found out my bf was cheating and he ask me to take our daughter and leave, I dropped 20 lbs in 2 weeks (unhealthily of course, but not on purpose). Within a few weeks I was back into the 120 range and the doc let me go off of the meds for a trial period. My bp was fine until the day I crept back up to 141. I have learned that I have a "magic number" as far as my weight is concerned. I am struggling to get back down there again. About 2 years ago my husband came into the bathroom and I was lying on the floor unable to move the left side of my body. I weight 170 at that time. I have gotten my weight stabilized at 150 right now, but I am still working on getting down further. I also notice as my weight creeps up I get lazy.
    Exercise REALLY helps and Ray, you are SO lucky to how some good genetics. High bp also runs in my family. I am currently on meds and I HATE it! I eat pretty decent but I could definitely use some more exercise. I think I may head out for a walk right now. Thanks for you post Ray. I may have to refer back to it often for motivation!!!!
  • raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    Thanks, and I used the term good genetics but, perhaps dumb luck thus far would be a better description because my brothers are on B/P meds and so were my parents. Whatever the reason, I'm very conscious of it now and will continue to watch it closely and good luck to all of you
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!