subway avocodo

Options
So subway now has some new items in canada 1. spinach - yummy! 2. sliced apples 3. avocodo

So there nutrition says its 100% pure avocodo however it sits in a tub all day long and it does not go brown....what the @!#$ how is that possible? any ideas?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Don't know, don't care. Avocado is delicious.

What about the apple slices?
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I want to know why it doesn't turn brown too.
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    maybe they put some lemon juice on them so they don't turn brown...?!?!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Don't know, don't care. Avocado is delicious.

Yup.

I try not to think too much about it... I love avocado on my sandwiches!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    The last two times I went to eat there, they had no avocado. I was one sad panda.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    yeah a couple squirts of lemon juice on top will keep it green for a while
  • ashley11scott
    ashley11scott Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It does not have a lemon or lime taste to it and i find the after taste a big mayo like.

I am so putting avocodo in a bowl on my kitchen counter with a squit of lemon see how long it stays green for....provided my kitty dont eat it all on me lol
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I ate at a Subway today for the first time in years. What is that smell in there? Terrible sandwich. I hate that place, it will be several years before I make that mistake again.

The lady who made my sandwich was very nice.
  • yondermountain
    yondermountain Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I was a waitress back when dinosaurs roamed the earth there was a chemical that our chef put on salads to keep the lettuce from turning brown. I ended up walking out because I refused to serve it to customers and he got mad.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    t
    From the subway site

AVOCADO PUREE Avocado pulp, water. ascorbic acid
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I was a waitress back when dinosaurs roamed the earth there was a chemical that our chef put on salads to keep the lettuce from turning brown. I ended up walking out because I refused to serve it to customers and he got mad.

We called it "stay white". Probably harmless but I forgot exactly what it is. At the time, every restaurant used it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Meh. I like Subway. They've gone out of their way to create very healthy fast food and I love the fact that I can get spinach and avocado on my sammich. Well, that and ours is right next to Dairy Queen. :wink:
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    The avocado is in a cooler and is probably stirred/used frequently. However, you ARE in Canada, so I would watch out. I live in Austin, TX so avocado is extremely prevalent and fresh all the time.
  • k_saenz
    k_saenz Posts: 126
    Options
    Every Subway I've been to has avocados that they cut up in front of you when you ask for it
  • amandanndel
    Options
    Every Subway I've been to has avocados that they cut up in front of you when you ask for it

I wish this was the case for the ones I go to!
  • Long_Road
    Long_Road Posts: 14
    Options
    It does not have a lemon or lime taste to it and i find the after taste a big mayo like.

I am so putting avocodo in a bowl on my kitchen counter with a squit of lemon see how long it stays green for....provided my kitty dont eat it all on me lol

And waste that awesomeness?!?!?!?!:noway:
  • scheuvront1993
    Options
    Hi everybody, I work at a subway. A subway that does not freshly cut the Avocado. I have seen it turn brown before if left uncovered. When we aren't busy we wrap some plastic around the container it's in.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, I work at a subway. A subway that does not freshly cut the Avocado. I have seen it turn brown before if left uncovered. When we aren't busy we wrap some plastic around the container it's in.

I've seen them stir it to 'freshen up' and hide some of the brown in the past. Not at Subway, but Togo's and a few other places that have avocado in tubs.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Frequent stirring and covering it up to reduce contact with oxygen helps it from getting brown. If they put ascorbic acid that is your answer, lemon juice without the flavor.

The aftertaste like mayo is because avocado is high in fat like mayo, so the texture and flavor are alike.

I work nights in a small town so my options are very limited, I eat the salad from subway (only veggies/greens) with vinager, salt and pepper. If I can I bring avocado from home (always have it frozen) and some type of protein to mix it in. But if I don't have anything I ask them to mix the avocado with everything as a dressing, it tastes pretty good to me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

The aftertaste like mayo is because avocado is high in fat like mayo, so the texture and flavor are alike.

i feel sorry for your taste buds .. egg yolk +oil and avocado taste nothing alike :laugh:

both are delicious but they dont taste the same