Calories vs sodium

Options
Hello all, i just started mfp this week so i'm totally new to this. Currently if i eat the dinner that has been prepared for me my total numbers for the day will be 787 calories left but my sodium will be -1,732. How will this affect my weight loss? Is high sodium ok as long as its not an every day thing? is it ok if your calories are low? If you need the rest of my details to be able to answer this my numbers if i again eat what is prepared for me will be what is shown below.

My Daily Goal: 2,665 367 89 100 2,500 53
Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar

At the end of this evening:
787 200 -3 -7 -1,732 -2

Thank you in advance

Replies

• stagingfirstplace
    stagingfirstplace Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    perhaps you need to look at the kind of foods you are eating and not just the calories.

focus on eating more whole foods and avoid eating anything processed.

focus on good old meat and veg and snack on fruit.
  • missimae07
    missimae07 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thats a good point: i didn't think what i was eating was bad other then the dinner currently prepared ( still haven't eaten it yet and if i don't my sodium won't be over as much. Currently what i have eaten is:

Millville - Fruit & Grain Cereal Bars-Strawberry, 1 Ceral Bar (37g) for breakfast

Flatout - Garden Spinach Light Flatout Wraps, 1 flatbread (53g/1.9z.)
    Wegmans - 97% Fat Free Deli Ham, 2 oz.
    Kroger Dijon Mustard - Kroger, 1 tsp (5g)
    Hellmans - Olive Oil Mayo, 1 Tbsp
    Above for lunch

and what is currently prepared for me for dinner:
    ( ashamed to post as i know its unhealthy i just want to know if it going to ruin what ive done thus far)
    Goya - Adobo, Seasoning
    Generic - Goya Sazon Seasoning,
    Kraft - Velvetta Shells and Cheese, 1 cup prepared
    Aldi Roseland - Boneless Thin Sliced Center Cut Pork Chops, 2 oz
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    perhaps you need to look at the kind of foods you are eating and not just the calories.

focus on eating more whole foods and avoid eating anything processed.

focus on good old meat and veg and snack on fruit.

No reason to avoid processed food. What you ate is fine. Stay within your calorie goals and you'll lose weight.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    It is definitely a tricky thing for sure especially if you consume a lot of packaged stuff. Think about it, 2,500 mg is 1 TEASPOON. Sodium is every where and since you're new I still find it hard to have all of the macros hit including sodium. For me it is what it is. The more "raw" you eat, i.e. make your own food from non-packaged goods the lower your sodium will tend to be. To counteract higher sodium intake make sure you drink plenty of water especially on those days when its high. You'll dilute your blood and eliminate some of it that way. Exercise, especially the very sweating kind, helps also. Lastly, load up on Potassium. This is the Yang to the Sodium Yin as they work together to maintain our body's optimal balance of water. You can change track this by going to your settings and changing what's viewed. Veggies, fruits, beans, fish and bananas are loaded with Potassium. My rule is if I'm over on Sodium I try to be over on water and/or Potassium.

Hope that helps.
  • missimae07
    Options
    Great! Thank you. Awesome job on your success what you have lost is just a bit over my goal. Hope i can do as well as you have! Congrats!
  • missimae07
    Options
    Thank you! and sorry if im not replying the correct way as it doesn't seem to show which comment i am replying to, i hope this all makes sense :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Sodium will cause you to retain water so it will give you the illusion of a slower fat loss, and a quicker loss if you have some low sodium days. It does not have an effect on fat loss.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It really shouldn't effect your total weight loss, only your water retention for the next day or so.
    Cheesey stuff will add lots of sodium, but don't stay away if that is what you want. As long as you stay within your cals.

(If i do a high sodium day i usually get back to the right weight 48-72 hours later. I drink lots of water and try to stay within the RDA after the big day)
  • missimae07
    Options
    Thank you everyone you all have been a great help!
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hello all, i just started mfp this week so i'm totally new to this. Currently if i eat the dinner that has been prepared for me my total numbers for the day will be 787 calories left but my sodium will be -1,732. How will this affect my weight loss? Is high sodium ok as long as its not an every day thing? is it ok if your calories are low? If you need the rest of my details to be able to answer this my numbers if i again eat what is prepared for me will be what is shown below.

787 200 -3 -7 -1,732 -2

Thank you in advance

Are you saying that you only ate 787 calories today?
    Or just for dinner?
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    sodium makes u gain water weight.....
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    You definitely should limit your sodium intake, but the MFP sodium allowance is crazy low. As long as you eat whole, unprocessed foods most the time and limit processed stuff you should be good.
  • NicolleLindgren
    NicolleLindgren Posts: 64 Member
    Options

787 200 -3 -7 -1,732 -2

Thank you in advance

Or just for dinner?

I assume that's what she has left for the day. I thought the same thing at first though.

ETA: I don't think your day looks bad. And even if it was, you're allowed to have a bad day every now and again.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options

787 200 -3 -7 -1,732 -2

Thank you in advance

Or just for dinner?

I assume that's what she has left for the day. I thought the same thing at first though.

ETA: I don't think your day looks bad. And even if it was, you're allowed to have a bad day every now and again.

Ah,I totally should pay more attention when reading!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Unless you have high blood pressure I wouldn't worry about sodium too much. It's one of the very few things in my diet that I pay no attention to.
  • ddhdml
    ddhdml Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Boars head lower sodium ham would be a better choice. If i eat deli meat i don't have cheese fat free or not. I watch my sodium
  • cajuin
    cajuin Posts: 10
    Options
    The 2,500mg sodium target on MFP is not that far off of the "dash diet" of 2300mg for ~2000cal diet.

I try to stay about the 2500mg +/- 300. Not easy without some care on shopping, but I think it helps keep me honest and eat more fresh foods vs prepared foods.
  • missimae07
    Options

787 200 -3 -7 -1,732 -2

Thank you in advance

Or just for dinner?

Ah,I totally should pay more attention when reading!

I think i did this right as far as a direct reply lol- yes i meant that i have that remaining :)
  • missimae07
    Options
    This was all a great help from all! I truly appreciate it! Thank you again!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Regular high levels of sodium will only cause you to retain water. Sodium will not build fat. I have had no trouble keeping my sodium under 1000mg a day.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 slices no sodium bread, 30g skim milk cheese = under 300mg sodium

Lunch: Salmon and tons of veggies - steamed - under 200 mg sodium

Supper: 120g extra lean turkey breast roast, tons of veggies - less than 100mg of sodium