Thinking of Joining a fitness class. Help.

Options
I am a true beginner struggling to get back on track with my weight loss. I work at a daycare 5days a week. I am 19 years old and will be starting college in the fall.

My options are
Spinning class
Boot-camp class
Planet Fitness
Cross Fit
Personal Training
Zumba

I am nervous to even consider this, but I have to do something. I think it will help me to be in a class or personal training because I have someone to say, "hey, why didn't you show up to class". To keep me accountable. I am also facing a big fear of mine.... I was always the slow kid in PE that everyone had to wait on. I hated PE, suicides were the worst. I was always so terrified of being yelled at, imagine a coach screaming "run, come on!" That was embarrassing to me. My fear is going into a fit class, say like cross fit or bootcamp and being yelled at-- for example Jillian Michaels on the biggest loser, thats what I think of when someone says personal trainer. Someone screaming in my face and me crying in defeat. Advice?

Replies

• Journey2newwomen
    Journey2newwomen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • MollieA912
    MollieA912 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've done several of these since the beginning of the year and loved them all! Although some more than others. Having a personal trainer was great help in getting comfortable with more exercises. Especially if you're considering weight lifting. Mine taught me all the power building moves like dead lifts, weighted squats, etc along with the Olympic lifts, clean and jerk and snatch. She was also good just to talk to and bounce ideas off of. If you get a good one they'll make you feel good about yourself.

Just did Spin class for the first time 2 weeks ago and let me tell you... ouch! Great workout, great burn, really good time but just not for me at this point. Great cardio though.

I like my bootcamp class however it can be a littl fast paced for beginners I feel. However, i did several beginner ones and they were great. Just IMO though.

Accountability is a big one for me too. I have a friend I workout with now 6 days a week and she's been a huge motivator not only in helping show up but in pushing me harder in workouts.

Hopes this helps somewhat! Good luck in whatever you decide.
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    do the spinning. it's low impact great for the beginning of a journey

personal trainers are expensive

if you get one you can request one that is gentle and won't speak to you harshly
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think newbies should try Zumba. It's fun, the music is great and you move at your own pace. NO PRESSURE! The harder you dance, the more calories you burn. I work out at a gym that has a zumba class practically every day and when I don't feel like someone telling me to go faster or keep up, I just go to Zumba. You will love it
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the others, but Spinning is great for beginners. Instructors don't yell and the lights are turned down so that nobody pays attention what others are doing. Instructors might tell the class to add resistance, speed it up for a few seconds, etc. but everybody works at their own level.
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    that guy made zumba sound fun. i've seen underwater zumba that's very low impact
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Try them all. That's what being young is about. Trying different things to see what you like. I can't tell what program you're going to like best.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Try them all. That's what being young is about. Trying different things to see what you like. I can't tell what program you're going to like best.

^^yep. You do not have to stick to one if you do not like it.

And they are not like biggest loser - their classes would be pretty empty if they were.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Best workout is the one you enjoy and will continue to do. Try them out to see what you enjoy. I know Zumba takes several times before you can decide if you really like it because you spend most of your time just trying to get the moves down
  • angimichelle
    Options
    I agree it is best to try a bunch of different things until you find what works for you. I think it's important to push yourself out of your comfort zone, but not to ignore the reality of your preferences and abilities. What's most important is that you are doing something positive to affect your life and health, so whatever things you do, little and small, to take care of your self will add up to a huge difference. Excited to see you looking at this before starting college. I was so terrified during college to acknowledge my weight I never took a moment to seek support and there would have been a lot. I'm a slow learner, but I'm getting there. Glad to see you on the journey! Good Luck!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My fear is going into a fit class, say like cross fit or bootcamp and being yelled at-- for example Jillian Michaels on the biggest loser, thats what I think of when someone says personal trainer. Someone screaming in my face and me crying in defeat. Advice?

My advice is tell this to the trainer or the teacher of whatever class you decide to go into. Instructors and trainers are there to help and motivate you. Communication is key. I doubt anyone is going to scream in your face to begin with, but if you tell them to begin with that it makes you uncomfortable, then they know not to do that if they are one of those rare people.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just started working out consistently at the gym about a month ago. I only go to classes, I cant get on a treadmill or elliptical for long by myself, I just get so bored! Ive been doing Zumba classes. IM OBSESSED! Love it! For the whole hour Im at high intensity, sweating my butt off... I love it, it's so much fun. I also do cycling/spinning classes, love those, too! It's good to go to a class with a great instructor, though, not all instructors are created equal.. And then after a class I do about 30 mins of strength training. My legs are starting to look really good. :)
  • Journey2newwomen
    Journey2newwomen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am thinking of starting with the spinning class. It seems like it is geared toward beginners. I gonna try to find me a workout buddy to. The particular place I am looking at seems awesome. Eventually I would like to be fit enough for their 6 week bootcamp course. For starters I am going to try spinning.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am thinking of starting with the spinning class. It seems like it is geared toward beginners. I gonna try to find me a workout buddy to. The particular place I am looking at seems awesome. Eventually I would like to be fit enough for their 6 week bootcamp course. For starters I am going to try spinning.

Spinning is great. Be warned that your behind is going to be sore for a few days after. Spin intimidated me when I first did it because it completely destroyed me and I thought I wasn't fit enough for it until I realized everyone in thr class looked destroyed too. I loved it! Have fun

Oh. And ask the instructor to set up your bike for you :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    lol @ spinning being geared for beginners. Spin classes will kick your *kitten* something fierce.

But that's okay. We ALL started somewhere. Any of the classes you're thinking about can be done by a beginnner. Any decent instructor will have a modification to each exercise to make it easier or harder to fit the participants. So don't shy away from any of the classes. You want to get in shape? Then attack all the obstacles in your way. Putting them off for some nebulous date in the future never got nobody into shape.