Help please? I am new to this..

Options
Hello everyone :) just a quick question, I am told (by myfitnesspal) that in order to lose 1.5 pounds a week I need to eat so and so amount of calories per day. My question is, after I work out am I allowed to add those calories back, or am I supposed to eat the suggested amount no matter what and not add on what I burned? I apologize if this is a stupid or repetitive question! I do appreciate any help :) thank you! And by the way my name is kalina and I am happy to be joining you all!

Replies

• nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Whether you decide to eat your exercise calories back or not is up to you (some people feel very strongly one way or the other), but MFP is designed for you toeat them on top of your regular calories. So, if MFP gives you 1500 and you burn 200, you get to eat 1700!
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi kalina. Everyone goes about it differently. I chose not to eat those cals back because I felt it was a little silly. My opinion is not the right one though or the wrong one. Many eat workout cals and lose just fine, u can experiment and see what works for u. Best of luck
  • KalinaLauritzen
    Options
    Thank you! After almost eleven months I finally am able to fit in a little "me time" during the day for exercise as I have a 10 month old beautiful girl who takes up the majority of my time :) needless to say, I need my energy haha that's why I was wondering if I should add on the calories burned. I will add them on. Thank you for your quick response!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lr44b8I4it1qmic59.gif
  • lyss1200
    lyss1200 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think the idea is that the amount of calories they give you is your "net calories"- so that if you "eat back" your exercise calories you should hit your goal weight in the timeframe you specified. Or you can choose not to eat back your exercise calories, and hit your goal weight faster.

Keep in mind that it's not an exact calculator, more just a general guide- basically if you want to lose weight faster, don't eat back your calories but if you're comfortable losing weight at a slower rate and maybe think it is more sustainable for you, do eat back your exercise cals.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Whether you decide to eat your exercise calories back or not is up to you (some people feel very strongly one way or the other),

Welcome to MFP!!

I do best when I remember to listen to my body & stay within choices I can live with.