Keto Diet - Experience & Results?

Options
Wondering if anyone has had success on the Keto diet? Any pro's/con's I should be aware of? Tips and tricks to meet nutritional goals?

Also, what were your before/after results in pounds/inches lost and how long were you on the diet?

Replies

• MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    keto is awesome, come on over to one of the keto groups xxketo would be perfect. Here you will get a lot of nay-sayers saying it's bad for you, and a lot of completely un-educated / non-understanding people saying it's dangerous.

reddit.com/r/keto is also a great community for keto information.

before/after for me isn't super impressive, i was only about 7 lbs away from my goal when i switched from paleo to keo (paleo is also amazing btw). but I have much more sustained and consistent energy, less migraines, less joint soreness, sleep better, and a billion other NSV's not related to weight/inches.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I did a keto diet for 5 months about 2 years ago and lost 30 lbs but would not recommend it. I hated the food (you have to eat crazy amounts of fats to get into ketosis) and i felt terrible most of the time. You really have to work to get micronutrients and fiber in while keeping the carbs down.

In the end it boils down to personal preference, i'm just saying that there are a lot of downsides i didn't think of back then.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone has had success on the Keto diet? Any pro's/con's I should be aware of? Tips and tricks to meet nutritional goals?

Also, what were your before/after results in pounds/inches lost and how long were you on the diet?

Fat loss is not significantly different than more balanced diets holding cals and protein constant, so if you don't have a medical reason to do so, it may be advisable to not bother with keto
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've had some successes with it but can never keep it up for more than a week or two. The food options are limited and I get bored with that. It can cause serious constipation since you have to cut out most vegetables/all fruit. Plus a lot of the initial weight loss is water weight, so I found it can be frustrating to lose 7 pounds in a week and then only 1 the next.

I've found more luck with going Primal (similar to Paleo) where I keep my carbs around 75g a day but still eat a high amount of fat, only moderate protein. Maybe you should consider gradually going keto so it is easier? Or, perhaps doing a few weeks of keto to get your weight loss going and then bumping up to something more like Primal/Paleo?
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it since Feb this year; I have found it has helped with binge eating, I feel satiated and eat a more balanced diet because of Keto. It is a matter of preference- I think you should head over to the specific Keto groups if you want some more information.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Bump. Would like more info.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Some bodybuilders enter this diet for ****s and giggles sometimes to mess around
    Some people do it because they have epilepsy.
    I think it can help with some other medical conditions but I am not sure.

Whenever you start any diet. You have to ask yourself. If you add 500-1000 calories a day... Can you be on this diet for the rest of your life?
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I know a lot of people are against keto but I've been doing it for two weeks and I feel great and enjoy what I eat. I have no reason to go back. Feel free to add me. I have found a couple keto/LC groups: keto and Low Carber Daily Forum....The LCD Group. Both are cool but need more activity in my opinion! lol
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Tried it for a long time (~12 months). Hated it. Constant cravings, struggle. Low energy.

For me...never again.
  • Ealyons
    Options
    I did it fir about 3 months a few years ago and lost about 25lbs. Ive just restarted. Its hard in the beginning but gets easier. The only con I can remember was noticing an increased BO (slightly).